Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Planning trip to Paris/London

Planning trip to Paris/London

Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:26 am
  #46  
David Horne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

The Reid <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:40:09 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
> _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
>
> >> Germans do like fast roads so who knows?
> >
> >Who cares?
>
> Well, I probably would, I had a feeling you wouldn't but it seems you
> do.
>
> >Have you looked at the difference in the death rate on German
> >motorways compared to UK motorways? If not, you should, then ask
> >yourself how great speed is. Jeez.
>
> Well, I don't always choose the safest thing, in fact I rarely do.

No shit.

> Travelling at 20 mph is indeed safer, no doubt you would love to see
> that imposed everywhere?

In built-up areas, yes, but it is in a lot of places.

> Travelling on any motorway is a lot safer than elsewhere, so I
> wouldn't be worrying about the difference between small risk and
> slightly smaller.
>
> "Germany compares relatively well with other countries with regard to
> the death rate on motorways, with 3.8 fatalities per billion km
> traveled. While this is higher than the UK's two deaths, it is lower
> than the USA, France, Austria, Japan and Ireland."

It's still double, and Martin's point about congestion only proves the
point- i.e. the faster you drive, the more likely you'll die in a
collision.

[]
> * speed is almost always cited as a contributor, which is of course
> always true if you want it to be.

Speed doesn't kill. I'll add you to the genii (this time on the
medicine/physics level) among the group.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
(don't email yahoo address) usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
 
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:52 am
  #47  
-Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:26:03 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

>The Reid <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 04:36:51 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
>> _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
>>
>> >> The autobahn between Munich and Salzburg had the same annual fatality
>> >> rate as UK one year.
>> >
>> >That's fine, but generally there's a big difference.
>>
>> small difference and Germany isn't at the top of the league.
>
>Tell me the difference, and explain why Germany not being at the top of
>the league matters.

Reids talks in Top Gear speak.

What I said was that just one motorway within spitting distance of the BMW
factory had more fatalities than the rest of UK road deaths put together in one
year in the nineteen seventies.
--

Martin
 
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:59 pm
  #48  
The Reid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:26:03 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

>Tell me the difference, and explain why Germany not being at the top of
>the league matters.

I quoted the figures, double not much isnt that significant. If you
think gErmany not been at the top isnt important we are not dealing in
logic.
--
Mike Reid
climbing Teide at "http:/www.fell-walker.co.uk/page66.htm"
 
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:03 am
  #49  
David Horne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

The Reid <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:26:03 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
> _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
>
> >Tell me the difference, and explain why Germany not being at the top of
> >the league matters.
>
> I quoted the figures, double not much isnt that significant. If you
> think gErmany not been at the top isnt important we are not dealing in
> logic.

Says he who doesn't think double the number of fatalities is important.
It's not significant that Germany isn't at the top of the league because
there are other factors that can affect those kinds of things- for
instance countries with particularly poor roads. And before you start up
about logic again, no, that doesn't negate the truism that speed kills.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
(don't email yahoo address) usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
 
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:14 am
  #50  
The Reid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:03:13 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

>Says he who doesn't think double the number of fatalities is important.
>It's not significant that Germany isn't at the top of the league because
>there are other factors that can affect those kinds of things

In other words the evidence doesn't show a link between Mway speed
limits and fatalities but you will believe theres one anyway.
"Inappropriate speed kills" if you believe "speed kills" is
significant you should ban cars and walk everywhere. Oh I forgot! You
want to.
--
Mike Reid
climbing Teide at "http:/www.fell-walker.co.uk/page66.htm"
 
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:08 am
  #51  
David Horne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

The Reid <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:03:13 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
> _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
>
> >Says he who doesn't think double the number of fatalities is important.
> >It's not significant that Germany isn't at the top of the league because
> >there are other factors that can affect those kinds of things
>
> In other words the evidence doesn't show a link between Mway speed
> limits and fatalities but you will believe theres one anyway.

Oh dear- it most certainly does. It's ironic you say that, because the
only person here who seems to want to believe something is you.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
(don't email yahoo address) usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
 
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:46 am
  #52  
Deeply Filled Mortician
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

Let is be knownst that on Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:08:08 +0000,
[email protected] (David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) writted:

>The Reid <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:03:13 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
>> _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
>>
>> >Says he who doesn't think double the number of fatalities is important.
>> >It's not significant that Germany isn't at the top of the league because
>> >there are other factors that can affect those kinds of things
>>
>> In other words the evidence doesn't show a link between Mway speed
>> limits and fatalities but you will believe theres one anyway.
>
>Oh dear- it most certainly does. It's ironic you say that, because the
>only person here who seems to want to believe something is you.

It may be true, David, but correllation still doesn't mean causation.
There may well be other factors at play.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--
 
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:48 am
  #53  
-Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Planning trip to Paris/London

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:08:08 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

>The Reid <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:03:13 +0000, [email protected] (David Horne,
>> _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
>>
>> >Says he who doesn't think double the number of fatalities is important.
>> >It's not significant that Germany isn't at the top of the league because
>> >there are other factors that can affect those kinds of things
>>
>> In other words the evidence doesn't show a link between Mway speed
>> limits and fatalities but you will believe theres one anyway.
>
>Oh dear- it most certainly does. It's ironic you say that, because the
>only person here who seems to want to believe something is you.

Magda believes in the judicious use of apostrophes.
--

Martin
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.