Norway in a Nutshell (5 days)

Wikiposts

Norway in a Nutshell (5 days)

Old Sep 4th 2002, 10:00 pm
Monojoker

Default Norway in a Nutshell (5 days)

Hi everyone,

I'm off to Norway with the wife in 2 weeks time. Got a lot of ideas on what to
see/do but would like some ideas from people on our plans.

We arrive on a Wednesday night (18th Sept) so the first night will be spent in Oslo.
Would it be cheaper to stay near the airport or take the train into central Oslo and
stay there. Day 2 it is planned to go to Flam on the Oslo-Bergen railway and take a
boat cruise through the fjord to Voss. Spend the night in Voss, then bus/train to
Bergen for a day's sightseeing and stay the night there. Then catch the train back
to Oslo and have a look around there. We're only there for 5 days and fly out at 8pm
on the 23rd. Some specific questions I have:

Any must sees in the cities we're visiting that might have missed the guidebooks?

Is a day trip from Oslo to Lillehammer worthwhile given our time contraints?

I've heard of a discount train/bus/boat pass called Norway in a Nutshell which does
the entire Oslo - Flam - Voss - Oslo/Bergen trip in one day. Should we consider this
or take more time (eg 2 full days as I've detailed above)?

Any general hints and tips on how to make the most of the 5 days given what we plan
to see would be much appreciated.

Thanks
LT.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 2:21 am
Gard Karlsen

Default Re: Norway in a Nutshell (5 days)

Hi

(Heather; I'm here to follow up your lead :-) Yes, I can of course recommend
Stavanger since I live here. It is pretty late in the season so it might be getting a
bit cold if you want to walk to Kjerag. But it is possible to go to Prekestolen at
least and that is also a nice walk and the view is great if there weather is great.

I have posted some pictures from the area on my homepage (in the Norway 1997 and
Stavanger pages). The address to the page is
www.gardkarlsen.com

Let me know if you need more info about Stavanger...but be quick...I'm off to
Thailand next week :-)

regards Gard

"MonoJoker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > Hi everyone,
    > I'm off to Norway with the wife in 2 weeks time. Got a lot of ideas on what to
    > see/do but would like some ideas from people on our plans.
    > We arrive on a Wednesday night (18th Sept) so the first night will be spent in
    > Oslo. Would it be cheaper to stay near the airport or take the train into central
    > Oslo and stay there. Day 2 it is planned to go to Flam on the Oslo-Bergen railway
    > and take a boat cruise through the fjord to Voss. Spend the night in Voss, then
    > bus/train to Bergen for a day's sightseeing and stay the night there. Then catch
    > the train back to Oslo and have a look around there. We're only there for 5 days
    > and fly out at 8pm on the 23rd. Some specific questions I have:
    > Any must sees in the cities we're visiting that might have missed the guidebooks?
    > Is a day trip from Oslo to Lillehammer worthwhile given our time contraints?
    > I've heard of a discount train/bus/boat pass called Norway in a Nutshell which does
    > the entire Oslo - Flam - Voss - Oslo/Bergen trip in one day. Should we consider
    > this or take more time (eg 2 full days as I've detailed above)?
    > Any general hints and tips on how to make the most of the 5 days given what we plan
    > to see would be much appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > LT.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 3:15 am
Senax

The Norway in a Nutshell forfait is not valid only for one day. The deal is simply a
buntch of tickets for the train/bus/boat you'll take. It's valid for a month I think.
For example, you can take the Bergen-Myrdal train ticket on day first, the Flam
Railway (Myrdal-Flam) the second day and so on. No need to do all the stuff in a
single day.

By the way, it's not very well documented yet, but there's a better deal than the
Nutshell thing in my humble opinion, offered by the same company. That's what I take.
It's called the Sognefjord & Flam Railway. You skip the boring bus tour, you take
less trains, but you have an extraordinary
5.5 hours on a [super] high speed boat on the sognefjord. This forfait is also valid
for a month or so. The cost is like 25 USD or so more expensive but it's worth it.
Anyway, it's up to you.

There is also an alternative. The Scanrail. This allows you unlimited train tickets,
for 5 days of your choice in 15 consecutives days, so you'll have only the boat/bus
ticket to buy.

Finally, I would forget Voss too. But if you can rest a full day in Bergen, go ahead.

\Senax

MonoJoker wrote:

> Hi everyone,
    > I'm off to Norway with the wife in 2 weeks time. Got a lot of ideas on what to
    > We arrive on a Wednesday night (18th Sept) so the first night will be spent in
    > Oslo. Would it be cheaper to stay near the airport or take the train into central
    > Oslo and stay there. Day 2 it is planned to go to Flam on the Oslo-Bergen railway
    > and take a boat cruise through the fjord to Voss. Spend the night in Voss, then
    > bus/train to Bergen for a day's sightseeing and stay the night there. Then catch
    > the train back to Oslo and have a look around there. We're only there for 5 days
    > Any must sees in the cities we're visiting that might have missed the guidebooks?
    > I've heard of a discount train/bus/boat pass called Norway in a Nutshell which does
    > the entire Oslo - Flam - Voss - Oslo/Bergen trip in one day. Should we consider
    > Any general hints and tips on how to make the most of the 5 days given what we plan
    > Thanks
    > LT.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 4:06 am
Jt

The normal recommended route is to go all the way to Bergen as a base, then take
several preprogramed loop routes like NIAN. Unless something has changed, there is
at least one other combo ticket for a loop on the other side of the tracks including
Hardinger Fjord, etc which is just as excellant and shows less rugged but more
graceful scenes that I even prefer.

I would stick to these efficient preplanned routes in such a short visit. Otherwise
you'll linger early on without knowing the major things you're missing coming up, and
locking yourself into dead time in boring places due to delayed connections. It pays
to stay on "their" schedule in eating as well; everything closes up outside very
narrow eating hours since businesses are run according to the convenience of the
workers, not customers.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 9:08 am
Frank Matthews

A few comments for you. Your trip may be fairly late for long distance planning.
Most services in the area change during the last half of September as the season
ends. Many years ago a friend & I were traveling from Oslo-Bergen via flam & the
ferries. On the train down to Flam we got to talking to three other groups of
tourists doing essentially the same trip. Unfortunately all four groups had very
different schedules. Of the four only ours worked. Not through careful planning but
sloth. We had simply gone to the train station two days before and been set up. The
others had trips planned from the start which might have worked in mid summer but not
September. Take it easy. Be flexible and consult locals.

None of the local villages are much fun but there are some individual sights. I
particularly remember a stave church a couple of miles out of town while waiting for
a transfer.

Oslo is fun especially the folk museum and viking ship museum. Skip the Kon Tiki
stuff. It's an easy bus trip from downtown. The sculpture park is interesting.

In Bergen the Hanseatic area is interesting as is the house park where they have
moved a variety of old houses that were in the way of roads.

You might check on a flight back from Bergen. If you do bring a bunch of wild salmon
from the docks. Spring for the wild salmon it's much better.

That's most of what I remember. If you have particular questions ask directly.

Frank Matthews

MonoJoker wrote:

> Hi everyone,
    > Thanks
    > LT.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 1:14 pm
Heather Morrison

Gard..wow Thailand...can't wait to see your report on that adventure...!! Thanks for
popping in on this thread!!

Have a wonderful and safe trip...I am very envious!!!

Heather

"Gard Karlsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    > (Heather; I'm here to follow up your lead :-) Yes, I can of course
recommend
    > Stavanger since I live here. It is pretty late in the season so it might
be
    > getting a bit cold if you want to walk to Kjerag. But it is possible to go to
    > Prekestolen at least and that is also a nice walk and the view is great if there
    > weather is great.
    > I have posted some pictures from the area on my homepage (in the Norway
    > and Stavanger pages). The address to the page is
    > www.gardkarlsen.com
    > Let me know if you need more info about Stavanger...but be quick...I'm off to
    > Thailand next week :-)
    > regards Gard
    > "MonoJoker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m-
    >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I'm off to Norway with the wife in 2 weeks time. Got a lot of ideas on what to
    > > see/do but would like some ideas from people on our plans.
    > >
    > > We arrive on a Wednesday night (18th Sept) so the first night will be spent in
    > > Oslo. Would it be cheaper to stay near the airport or take the train into
    > > central Oslo and stay there. Day 2 it is planned to go to Flam on the
    > > Oslo-Bergen railway and take a boat cruise through the fjord to Voss. Spend the
    > > night in Voss, then bus/train to Bergen for a day's sightseeing and stay the
    > > night there. Then catch the train back to Oslo and have a look around there.
    > > We're only there for 5 days and fly out at 8pm on the 23rd. Some specific
    > > questions I have:
    > >
    > > Any must sees in the cities we're visiting that might have missed the guidebooks?
    > >
    > > Is a day trip from Oslo to Lillehammer worthwhile given our time contraints?
    > >
    > > I've heard of a discount train/bus/boat pass called Norway in a Nutshell which
    > > does the entire Oslo - Flam - Voss - Oslo/Bergen trip in one day. Should we
    > > consider this or take more time (eg 2 full days as I've detailed above)?
    > >
    > > Any general hints and tips on how to make the most of the 5 days given what we
    > > plan to see would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > LT.

Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

dyoon001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Norway in a Nutshell

I am actually looking to do a similar excursion through the fjords, starting out in Oslo on June 28th, 2003 and returning to Oslo on July 3rd.

How much is the "Norway in a Nutshell" package of ferry/boats/bus/train ticket? We have 4 adults in the travel. Does the package include accomodation?

I was actually planning to rent a car in Oslo and doing the trip with a rental car to Bergen and fjord. Does anyone recommend this at all?

Any advice on rental car vs. train/bus/ferry combo would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

dyoon001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Norway in a Nutshell

I am actually looking to do a similar excursion through the fjords, starting out in Oslo on June 28th, 2003 and returning to Oslo on July 3rd.

How much is the "Norway in a Nutshell" package of ferry/boats/bus/train ticket? We have 4 adults in the travel. Does the package include accomodation?

I was actually planning to rent a car in Oslo and doing the trip with a rental car to Bergen and fjord. Does anyone recommend this at all?

Any advice on rental car vs. train/bus/ferry combo would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:53 pm
Siebrand Tilma

dyoon001 schreef:

>I am actually looking to do a similar excursion through the
    >fjords, starting out in Oslo on June 28th, 2003 and returning to
    >Oslo on July 3rd.
    >How much is the "Norway in a Nutshell" package of ferry/boats/bus/train
    >ticket? We have 4 adults in the travel. Does the package include
    >accomodation?

The price of the ticket depends on the route you take. A roundtrip
from Oslo is NOK1435 via Voss or NOK1655 via Bergen. These prices
don't include accomodation. See this page for some more information:

>I was actually planning to rent a car in Oslo and doing the trip with a
    >rental car to Bergen and fjord. Does anyone recommend this at all?
    >Any advice on rental car vs. train/bus/ferry combo would be
    >appreciated...

I don't know about taking a car, but the views from the train and
ferry were very good.

Groeten, Siebrand