Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40 Euro Eggs???

Wikiposts

Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40 Euro Eggs???

Old Jun 11th 2002, 7:21 am
Jeff

Default Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40 Euro Eggs???

Is this the best Hotel on the Mont and what is it about the famous Omlets?

Old Jun 11th 2002, 7:21 am
J. Wijnands

Default Re: Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about

On 11 Jun 2002, Jeff wrote:

> Is this the best Hotel on the Mont and what is it about the famous Omlets?
    >
The whole Mont is outragesly priced and terribly commercial. Those narrow streets are
full of places anxious to seperate tourists from their money.

I did lunch there once, small place, dining area upstairs. Good gallete with Jambon
and a small jug of cidre. Had a nice time watching a group of american kids at the
next table (lots of tough talk untill they had to try their french on the waiter)
getting a taste of french culture.

Don't know about the omlets. If you want to go there find a hotel close to the Mont
(there's dozens in a 20 km radius) and use the money you save that way for a nice
omlet lunch.

The mont can get crowded very fast after 1030.

And, if you happen to find yourself int hat area with a car, quite close to the Mont
there;s the little town of Dol de Bretagne. Nice medieval centre, lots of good
restaurants and, just across the square from the cathedral, a museum that explains
just exactly how they built all those big cathedrals. The place is called
Cathedraloscope.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards Jeroen Wijnands http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands
--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal,
well-meaning but without understanding. -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

Old Jun 11th 2002, 11:21 am
Doug Burke

Default Re: Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40 Euro Eggs???

We've been to Europe many times and one of THE most memorable meals was on our
first European trip in 1985. Went to the Mont. Had a great time looking around.
Lunch time came and saw the big line at Mere Poulard (we read about it ahead of
time) and decided to buy a sandwich, apple and drink from a vendor. Ate it sitting
on the ramparts looking across to the mainland. A great experience. Forget the
Mere. Doug Burtke

Jeff wrote:

Old Jun 11th 2002, 11:21 am
Congokid

Default Re: Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40 Euro Eggs???

In article <[email protected] >, Jeff
<[email protected]> writes
    >Is this the best Hotel on the Mont and what is it about the famous Omlets?

I had a quick afternoon visit a few years back. Beside the restaurant Mere Poulard is
a kitchen with open doors windows through which visitors can watch the cooks, all
wearing period costume, beat eggs in huge metal bowls. When they really get going
they set up a nice rhythm, then the huge, foamy omelettes are cooked at an open fire.
These are tipped out onto plates for the diners next door. They looked enormous, but
must be mostly air.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

Old Jun 11th 2002, 1:20 pm
John Walton

Be prepared to carry your own luggage to your room. I thought that the food was
somewhat over-rated compared to other comestibles in this area. Mere Poulard had a
restuarant in NYC but I belive that it closed.

I believe that two evenings per week they have a candle and music performance at M.
S. Michel. We missed it.

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Old Jun 12th 2002, 6:26 am
David Gascon

Default Re: Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40

Doug Burke wrote:
    >
    > We've been to Europe many times and one of THE most memorable meals was on our
    > first European trip in 1985. Went to the Mont. Had a great time looking around.
    > Lunch time came and saw the big line at Mere Poulard (we read about it ahead of
    > time) and decided to buy a sandwich, apple and drink from a vendor. Ate it sitting
    > on the ramparts looking across to the mainland. A great experience. Forget the
    > Mere. Doug Burtke
    >
    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    > > Is this the best Hotel on the Mont and what is it about the famous Omlets?

There was another place right up the street from Mère Poulard that served a fine
"omelette à la façon do Mont" ("Mère Poulard" being a trademark) for quite a bit
less. This was some years ago, but I suspect you still don't have to go to Mère
Poulard to get that dish. I also walked onto the Mont early in the morning & got a
very small-but-decent, toilet-down-the-hall room in one hotel's "annex" for a very
reasonable price. It was great to be there before & after those daytrip crowds!

Old Jun 12th 2002, 6:26 am
Alan

Default Re: Mont St. Michel - Mere Poulard ---Any Good---What's this about a 40

john walton wrote:
    >
    > Be prepared to carry your own luggage to your room.

Not so, at least in our case. We stayed at the hotel almost right next door to Mere
Poulard. At the time seemed new, or probably remodeled. The room was tiny, no room
to turn around in, but not the smallest room we've ever had in France. Oh, I almost
forgot my comment about the luggage. A woman came out with us to the car and
carried all our bags to the hotel. And wouldn't accept a tip! Don't forget that the
stream of touristsTESTincluding youTESTis all a part of the city's history. There
have been crowds there for almost 1,000 years. Just forget about all the tacky
souvenirs and march all the way to the top!

Old Jun 12th 2002, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

Hi

As an ex-tourist and now resident of France, I find the best strategy as a tourist is to take a light breakfast in a cafe, buy salad, ham, cheese, bread, wine for a lunchtime picnic, and then have a medium price menu in the evening. Then you can save yourself for a blowout special dinner without feeling guilty.

This way you can escape the mediocre tourist traps.

Peter