Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:08 am
  #16  
Mxsmanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Casey writes:

    > I think Madrid would make a great host city.

I think anywhere far away from Paris would make a great host city.

--
Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.
 
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:13 am
  #17  
Mxsmanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Lennart Petersen writes:

    > The Olympics are usually held in August and Madrid is terrible hot at that
    > time.

That is becoming true for most of Europe, not just Madrid. At least
Madrid presumably already has air conditioning.

--
Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.
 
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:39 am
  #18  
Tim C .
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 23:13:00 +0200, Mxsmanic <[email protected]>
wrote:

    >Lennart Petersen writes:
    >> The Olympics are usually held in August and Madrid is terrible hot at that
    >> time.
    >That is becoming true for most of Europe, not just Madrid. At least
    >Madrid presumably already has air conditioning.

Of course not, silly. They go to sleep in the heat of the afternoon
and waste all that efficient work time.
--
Tim C.
 
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:24 am
  #19  
Dave Frightens Me
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 23:08:57 +0200, Mxsmanic <[email protected]>
wrote:

    >Casey writes:
    >> I think Madrid would make a great host city.
    >I think anywhere far away from Paris would make a great host city.

Is the magic wearing off?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--
 
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:37 am
  #20  
Mxsmanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Dave Frightens Me writes:

    > Is the magic wearing off?

No, I just don't want to damage the magic by hosting a farce like the
Olympics in Paris. Let some other city make that mistake.

--
Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.
 
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:52 am
  #21  
Dave Frightens Me
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 01:37:25 +0200, Mxsmanic <[email protected]>
wrote:

    >Dave Frightens Me writes:
    >> Is the magic wearing off?
    >No, I just don't want to damage the magic by hosting a farce like the
    >Olympics in Paris. Let some other city make that mistake.

Fair enough.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--
 
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:41 am
  #22  
David Horne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Dave Frightens Me <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 01:37:25 +0200, Mxsmanic <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Dave Frightens Me writes:
    > >
    > >> Is the magic wearing off?
    > >
    > >No, I just don't want to damage the magic by hosting a farce like the
    > >Olympics in Paris. Let some other city make that mistake.
    >
    > Fair enough.

I don't think it will be a mistake for London to host them in 2012. It
will be expensive for sure, but it's a catalyst for regeneration of an
area which really needs it. A lot of UK people disagree with that (i.e.
the expense), but there you go.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
 
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:36 am
  #23  
Dave Frightens Me
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:41:03 +0100, [email protected]
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

    >Dave Frightens Me <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 01:37:25 +0200, Mxsmanic <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Dave Frightens Me writes:
    >> >
    >> >> Is the magic wearing off?
    >> >
    >> >No, I just don't want to damage the magic by hosting a farce like the
    >> >Olympics in Paris. Let some other city make that mistake.
    >>
    >> Fair enough.
    >I don't think it will be a mistake for London to host them in 2012. It
    >will be expensive for sure, but it's a catalyst for regeneration of an
    >area which really needs it. A lot of UK people disagree with that (i.e.
    >the expense), but there you go.

London needs a big cash injection in this regard though. If they get
that tube working well (and yes, know it's improved), then it will be
a good start.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--
 
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:12 am
  #24  
IBstaff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Casey wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm
    > I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
    > European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
    > transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
    > improvements did it plan to make if it won?
    > Casey


Madrid and Paris , are the european capitals with best transportation
system.

Cities likes London, Rome or even Berlin, fall behind.

Apart from the mayor of Madrid , Gallardon, absolutly NOBODY wanted the
games. Recently has been revealed that a voting error by one IOC member
prompted Madrid to be eliminated in a preliminary round .

If not by the mistake , the final votation would have been Paris vs
Madrid , and in this case all the anglo-saxons would vote for Madrid in
order to avoid Paris , securing a Madrid 2012 . Thankfully the error
of this IOC member , recognized by himself, prompted a final, London vs
Paris , that was won by London .

My condolences to the citizens of London .

My congratulations to Madrid and Paris .

For what I know the plans for London 2012 are very poor design and
already fall behind schedule . I'm sure it will cost much more than
stimated , and the delays will be cause of despretige for London .

Beijing planned all with more anticipation , and even them are having
problems to complete all the construction on time , and of course the
budget has skyrocketed to a point that the chinese goverment is cutting
some projects.

London has NOTHING to win with an olimpiad , but has a LOT to lose .

A football World Cup or an European football finals are much profitable
for a country that an olimpiad this days.
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.