British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   rec.travel.europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rec-travel-europe-44/)
-   -   Florence, Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rec-travel-europe-44/florence-italy-81929/)

Anne Jun 6th 2002 12:21 pm

Florence, Italy

My husband and I just came from a fantastic Art Lecture and we promised to let people
know about it. We were only in Florence for a few days but we should've gone our
first day here. I actually understand this amazing art that surrounds us now! They
are called Florence Art Lectures and they bring you into this beautiful Palazzo right
in Santa Croce Square (with wine too!!) It only lasted about an hour and a half but
she (the historian) made the art fun and interesting. We thought we couldn't afford
something like this - too extravagant - but they gave us a deal so that we could. I
highly recommend contacting them upon your arrival to Florence. Don't know the phone
number but they are at 21 Santa Croce Square and they do lectures every day, and they
have a website - www.florenceart.org. Happy and safe travels!

Greg Byshenk Jun 6th 2002 4:25 pm

Re: Florence, Italy

What an amazing unsolicited testimonial!

Well, perhaps not:

Florence Art Lectures (FLORENCEART2-DOM) 1155 N. La Cienega Blvd. Suite 909 Los
Angeles, CA 90069 US

Domain Name: FLORENCEART.ORG

Administrative Contact: Florence Art Lectures (GFFHOUCGOO) [email protected]
Florence Art Lectures 1155 N. La Cienega Blvd. Suite 909 Los Angeles, CA 90069 US
310-854-3989

Isn't it an astonishing coincidence that the person who "just came from" the lecture
and the Administrative Contact for the domain have exactly the same email address!

Generally it is only spammers and scammers who feel the need to misrepresent
themselves. Which one are you, 'anne'? Perhaps you are "Anne Page, VP Operations" of
FlorenceArt.org...? Or perhaps "Laura Watson, Director" of FlorenceArt.org (given the
'watsonll' address)...?

It's rather sad, actually. From a quick look at your web site, it seems that your
product may be a good one. But I (and quite a few others, I suspect), will avoid it
if you start out by lying to us in promoting it.

anne <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My husband and I just came from a fantastic Art Lecture and we promised to let
    > people know about it. We were only in Florence for a few days but we should've
    > gone our first day here. I actually understand this amazing art that surrounds us
    > now! They are called Florence Art Lectures and they bring you into this beautiful
    > Palazzo right in Santa Croce Square (with wine too!!) It only lasted about an hour
    > and a half but she (the historian) made the art fun and interesting. We thought we
    > couldn't afford something like this - too extravagant - but they gave us a deal so
    > that we could. I highly recommend contacting them upon your arrival to Florence.
    > Don't know the phone number but they are at 21 Santa Croce Square and they do
    > lectures every day, and they have a website - www.florenceart.org. Happy and safe
    > travels!

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL hate spam? <http://www.cauce.org>
<http://www.byshenk.net/ive.been.spammed.html

Frank Matthews Jun 6th 2002 4:25 pm

Good catch! Frank Matthews

greg byshenk wrote:

> What an amazing unsolicited testimonial!
    >
    > Well, perhaps not:
    >
    > Florence Art Lectures (FLORENCEART2-DOM) 1155 N. La Cienega Blvd. Suite 909 Los
    > Angeles, CA 90069 US
    >
    > Domain Name: FLORENCEART.ORG
    >
    > Administrative Contact: Florence Art Lectures (GFFHOUCGOO) [email protected]
    > Florence Art Lectures 1155 N. La Cienega Blvd. Suite 909 Los Angeles, CA 90069
    > US 310-854-3989
    >
    > Isn't it an astonishing coincidence that the person who "just came from" the
    > lecture and the Administrative Contact for the domain have exactly the same email
    > address!
    >
    > Generally it is only spammers and scammers who feel the need to misrepresent
    > themselves. Which one are you, 'anne'? Perhaps you are "Anne Page, VP Operations"
    > of FlorenceArt.org...? Or perhaps "Laura Watson, Director" of FlorenceArt.org
    > (given the 'watsonll' address)...?
    >
    >
    > It's rather sad, actually. From a quick look at your web site, it seems that your
    > product may be a good one. But I (and quite a few others, I suspect), will avoid it
    > if you start out by lying to us in promoting it.
    >
    >
    > anne <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> My husband and I just came from a fantastic Art Lecture and we promised to let
    >> people know about it. We were only in Florence for a few days but we should've
    >> gone our first day here. I actually understand this amazing art that surrounds us
    >> now! They are called Florence Art Lectures and they bring you into this beautiful
    >> Palazzo right in Santa Croce Square (with wine too!!) It only lasted about an hour
    >> and a half but she (the historian) made the art fun and interesting. We thought we
    >> couldn't afford something like this - too extravagant - but they gave us a deal so
    >> that we could. I highly recommend contacting them upon your arrival to Florence.
    >> Don't know the phone number but they are at 21 Santa Croce Square and they do
    >> lectures every day, and they have a website - www.florenceart.org. Happy and safe
    >> travels!
    >>

Grey Jun 6th 2002 7:20 pm

On 6 Jun 2002 14:47:31 GMT, greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

>Isn't it an astonishing coincidence that the person who "just came from" the lecture
    >and the Administrative Contact for the domain have exactly the same email address!

Man, this is enough to make anyone cynical...

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

Poetic Justice Jun 7th 2002 8:20 am

greg byshenk wrote:
    >It's rather sad, actually. From a quick look at your web site, it seems that your
    >product may be a good one. But I (and quite a few others, I suspect), will avoid it
    >if you start out by lying to us in promoting
    >it.

Actually, I really don't think that Anne [email protected] knows the real sad news
yet. "Google offers complete 20-year Usenet Archive with over 700 million messages"
Anne your post and these responses are now in that archive. Anyone with just
elementary search skills will be able to pull-up this thread just by searching for
that company name on "google". Don't know much about PR but I think this is the type
they call "bad". Regards, Walter

..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Bill Hunt / Jen Jun 7th 2002 1:20 pm

I'm going to Florence next year, and was very interested at first. No more. The web
site looks good, but the shadiness of the "recommendation" turned me off.

Tof Jun 7th 2002 1:20 pm

Greg, Very nice work. This whole group thanks you for making the effort to check.

"Anne"(?) - care to come clean and do some damage control?

Terry

On 6 Jun 2002 14:47:31 GMT, greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

>What an amazing unsolicited testimonial!
    >
    >Well, perhaps not:
    >
    >Florence Art Lectures (FLORENCEART2-DOM) 1155 N. La Cienega Blvd. Suite 909 Los
    >Angeles, CA 90069 US
    >
    > Domain Name: FLORENCEART.ORG
    >
    > Administrative Contact: Florence Art Lectures (GFFHOUCGOO) [email protected]
    > Florence Art Lectures 1155 N. La Cienega Blvd. Suite 909 Los Angeles, CA 90069 US
    > 310-854-3989
    >
    >Isn't it an astonishing coincidence that the person who "just came from" the lecture
    >and the Administrative Contact for the domain have exactly the same email address!
    >
    >Generally it is only spammers and scammers who feel the need to misrepresent
    >themselves. Which one are you, 'anne'? Perhaps you are "Anne Page, VP Operations" of
    >FlorenceArt.org...? Or perhaps "Laura Watson, Director" of FlorenceArt.org (given
    >the 'watsonll' address)...?
    >
    >
    >It's rather sad, actually. From a quick look at your web site, it seems that your
    >product may be a good one. But I (and quite a few others, I suspect), will avoid it
    >if you start out by lying to us in promoting it.
    >
    >
    >anne <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> My husband and I just came from a fantastic Art Lecture and we promised to let
    >> people know about it. We were only in Florence for a few days but we should've
    >> gone our first day here. I actually understand this amazing art that surrounds us
    >> now! They are called Florence Art Lectures and they bring you into this beautiful
    >> Palazzo right in Santa Croce Square (with wine too!!) It only lasted about an
    >> hour and a half but she (the historian) made the art fun and interesting. We
    >> thought we couldn't afford something like this - too extravagant - but they gave
    >> us a deal so that we could. I highly recommend contacting them upon your arrival
    >> to Florence. Don't know the phone number but they are at 21 Santa Croce Square
    >> and they do lectures every day, and they have a website - www.florenceart.org.
    >> Happy and safe travels!

hess Jun 8th 2002 4:49 am

Greg,
Good detective work, I think? Am I the only one who has no idea how to find a poster's email address? I've always wondered about it...

Douglas W. Hoyt Jun 8th 2002 6:20 pm

In case the people at www.florenceart.org aren't actually going to read any follow-up
posts, you can contact them using a "booking" form at their website, and tell them
what you think.

L Mehl Jun 9th 2002 12:20 am

16:30 Pacific time ...

O my! What have we done?

Their page "...cannot be displayed"

"Douglas W. Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > In case the people at www.florenceart.org aren't actually going to read
any
    > follow-up posts, you can contact them using a "booking" form at their website, and
    > tell them what you think.

Frank Matthews Jun 9th 2002 8:20 pm

Comes up fine now.

Frank Matthews

L Mehl wrote:

> 16:30 Pacific time ...
    >
    > O my! What have we done?
    >
    > Their page "...cannot be displayed"
    >
    >
    > "Douglas W. Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>In case the people at www.florenceart.org aren't actually going to read
    >>
    > any
    >
    >>follow-up posts, you can contact them using a "booking" form at their website, and
    >>tell them what you think.
    >>
    >>
    >>

Bill Hunt / Jen Jun 10th 2002 12:21 pm

I e-mailed to complain, but it bounced back.