Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

Old Mar 29th 2002, 8:35 pm
Ntaylor

Default Re: Credit card coverage of car rental insurance in Italy

On 29 Mar 2002 11:33:55 -0800, [email protected] (nhampton) wrote:

>> >The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision damage
    >> >waiver (only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world. The CDW
    >> >provided by any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning
    >> >that your personal insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the
    >> >credit card coverage worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay
    >> >but outside of the USA my insurance company and I believe all US insurance
    >> >companies do not cover you thus making the credit card insurance the primary
    >> >carrier. When I've rented cars in Italy I was told I would have to pay for all
    >> >damages and would have to go to the credit card company for reimbursement. You
    >> >can charge the damages to your credit card to the extent of your credit limit.
    >> >All things considered I'll buy the insurance from the car rental company.
    >>
    >>
    >> NT>>The wisest decision. Credit car insurance is worthless overseas.
    >> The proof of the pudding is in the eating, when you come to make the claim for an
    >> overseas accident they will deny you. Considering the high cost of even minor
    >> damage repairs these days get the maximun coverage you can.
    >
    >They will not deny your claim. I damaged a car in England and had used my American
    >Express card to waive the CDW. The credit card paid the damages. I only had to fill
    >out a form when I returned the car. The rental company handled all details. American
    >car insurance does not cover you in Europe so your credit card is the primary
    >insurance.

NT> It sounds like the claim was settled by the Insurance you had paid to the rental
NT> company
not the Amex card coverage, if you filled the form out for the rental company and not
the Credit card company. Bet if you looked close enough you will find that you had a
charge for the CDW insurance hidden in the contract somewhere.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 9:35 pm
Devil

ntaylor wrote:
    >
    > On 29 Mar 2002 11:33:55 -0800, [email protected] (nhampton) wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >They will not deny your claim. I damaged a car in England and had used my American
    > >Express card to waive the CDW. The credit card paid the damages. I only had to
    > >fill out a form when I returned the car. The rental company handled all details.
    > >American car insurance does not cover you in Europe so your credit card is the
    > >primary insurance.
    >
    > NT> It sounds like the claim was settled by the Insurance you had paid to the
    > NT> rental company
    > not the Amex card coverage, if you filled the form out for the rental company and
    > not the Credit card company. Bet if you looked close enough you will find that you
    > had a charge for the CDW insurance hidden in the contract somewhere.

*(&^%#$^&

The man *said* black on white that *he declined CDW.* That the credit card paid. Why
is that so hard to understand?

Or disbelieve?

If you think your CC is run by crooks, wouldn't it be a good idea to drop it once
and for all?

Old Mar 29th 2002, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

hess is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am a little surprised at this skepticism. Why would you trust a rental car company in Italy more than your own credit card? I have been renting cars in Italy for 15 years, have had two minor accidents, and any gold card I had (AmEx, United) has covered it--no questions asked, no hidden costs. I've never seen any kind of a bill, so I have no idea how they work it out. Yes, you do have to pay something, if you look at the inital rental bill, for the general insurance, but the CDW covers the $ for the deductible--which in Italy can be several thousand dollars. That's where the card kicks in, because, as others have noted, your car insurance doesn't do squat overseas.

If you doubt it, for heaven's sake get it in writing from your card company, but it certainly has always worked for me. On a less upbeat note, I did get a notice from my card that they will start charging a percentage fee to change money in overseas ATMs. Used to be the best deal around. Now *that's* something to worry about!
Old Mar 30th 2002, 2:05 am
Ntaylor

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:45:18 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:

>ntaylor wrote:
    >>
    >> On 29 Mar 2002 11:33:55 -0800, [email protected] (nhampton) wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >They will not deny your claim. I damaged a car in England and had used my
    >> >American Express card to waive the CDW. The credit card paid the damages. I only
    >> >had to fill out a form when I returned the car. The rental company handled all
    >> >details. American car insurance does not cover you in Europe so your credit card
    >> >is the primary insurance.
    >>
    >> NT> It sounds like the claim was settled by the Insurance you had paid to the
    >> NT> rental company
    >> not the Amex card coverage, if you filled the form out for the rental company and
    >> not the Credit card company. Bet if you looked close enough you will find that you
    >> had a charge for the CDW insurance hidden in the contract somewhere.
    >
    >*(&^%#$^&
    >
    >
    >The man *said* black on white that *he declined CDW.* That the credit card paid. Why
    >is that so hard to understand?
    >
    >Or disbelieve?
    >
    >If you think your CC is run by crooks, wouldn't it be a good idea to drop it once
    >and for all?
NT> What is hard to understand, or to believe. is that there are
people gullible and naive enough to think that Credit Card companies, and Car Rental
companies, are going to underwrite the cost of collisions done to their expensive
automobiles by foreign drivers in countries like Italy, just for the cost of the
annual credit car fee. Most people use credit cards for the convenience, if you
believe the BS that goes with the advertising, Good Luck!

Old Mar 30th 2002, 2:35 am
J Coulter

[email protected] (ntaylor) wrote in <[email protected]>:

>On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:45:18 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>ntaylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On 29 Mar 2002 11:33:55 -0800, [email protected] (nhampton) wrote:

The thread is about CDW in Italy. Bottom line is that every car rental I have
used and those I have heard about, require insurance beyond the card whether it
is platinum sapphire emerald or any other precious metal. They want real
insurance in Italy.

Old Mar 30th 2002, 4:35 am
Nancy Millhoff

I rented a car in Italy thru AutoEurope. We used our credit card's CDW and purchased
no extra insurance. Cars going into Italy have an automatic theft coverage built into
the fee. We drove all over Italy and had a great time. You gotta be a defensive
driver, but it's not nearly as bad as the reputation makes it. Their toll roads were
in excellent condition. Have fun.

"Larry J. Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > The Capital One Platinum MasterCard (no annual fee)provides collision
damage
    > waiver (only covers the rental car, nothing else) throughout the world.
The
    > CDW provided by any credit card company is always the secondary coverage; meaning
    > that your personal insurance company is the primary. In the USA this makes the
    > credit card coverage worthless since your own insurance company will have to pay
    > but outside of the USA my insurance company and I believe all US insurance
    > companies do not cover you thus making the credit card insurance the primary
    > carrier. When I've rented cars in Italy I was told I would have to pay for all
    > damages and would have to go to the
credit
    > card company for reimbursement. You can charge the damages to your credit card to
    > the extent of your credit limit. All things considered I'll buy
the
    > insurance from the car rental company. "Kobi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (Allan Jeong) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > I'm renting a car in Italy this May and am wondering if it is possible to save
    > > > money by using a U.S. credit card that covers the required collision damage
    > > > waiver (CDW) and/or theft insurance.
    > > >
    > > > 1) Anyone know of any U.S. credit cards (no annual fees) that will collision in
    > > > Italy? My understanding is that most credit cards do not.
    > > >
    > > > 2) Which car rental companies in Italy will allow me to waive the costs of
    > > > collision if I am covered by my credit card?
    > > >
    > > > 3) How much does collision insurance typically add to the cost of car rental in
    > > > Italy?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Allan jeong @ coe.fsu.edu
    > >
    > > I faced the same problem (also travel to Italy in May). My credit card won't
    > > provide coverage in Italy. However, I found that through Italiatour (the tour
    > > company of Alitalia - www.italiatourusa.com) i can get a C class rental car for
    > > $35 a day all taxes and insurance included (Avis cars). if you try to book
    > > directly with any rental company you'll have to pay this amount just for the
    > > rental before any taxes and insurance. It solved the problem because i got a
    > > complete package for a very reasonable price. From what I read, if I plan to
    > > drive in Italy, I better be covered as much as posible.
    > >
    > > Kobi

Old Mar 30th 2002, 6:05 am
Devil

ntaylor wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:45:18 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >ntaylor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On 29 Mar 2002 11:33:55 -0800, [email protected] (nhampton) wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >
    > >> >They will not deny your claim. I damaged a car in England and had used my
    > >> >American Express card to waive the CDW. The credit card paid the damages. I
    > >> >only had to fill out a form when I returned the car. The rental company handled
    > >> >all details. American car insurance does not cover you in Europe so your credit
    > >> >card is the primary insurance.
    > >>
    > >> NT> It sounds like the claim was settled by the Insurance you had paid to the
    > >> NT> rental company
    > >> not the Amex card coverage, if you filled the form out for the rental company
    > >> and not the Credit card company. Bet if you looked close enough you will find
    > >> that you had a charge for the CDW insurance hidden in the contract somewhere.
    > >
    > >*(&^%#$^&
    > >
    > >
    > >The man *said* black on white that *he declined CDW.* That the credit card paid.
    > >Why is that so hard to understand?
    > >
    > >Or disbelieve?
    > >
    > >If you think your CC is run by crooks, wouldn't it be a good idea to drop it once
    > >and for all?
    > NT> What is hard to understand, or to believe. is that there are
    > people gullible and naive enough to think that Credit Card companies, and Car
    > Rental companies, are going to underwrite the cost of collisions done to their
    > expensive automobiles by foreign drivers in countries like Italy, just for the cost
    > of the annual credit car fee. Most people use credit cards for the convenience, if
    > you believe the BS that goes with the advertising, Good Luck!

Well, I believe what's in the contract.

And if they don't, I'll fight. Who do youn think is easier to fight, your CC or a
rental car company in Italy?

Old Mar 30th 2002, 6:35 am
Barbara Vaughan

Rich Gibson wrote:
    >
    > Agree. In this case trying to be thrify is "penny wise pound foolish." I know it
    > seems absurd, maybe even not fair. However, that's the way it is. You've spent
    > thousands on a trip which you've planned all year, made all sorts of arrangements
    > both at home and on the journey and then you try to squeeze a few hundred bucks out
    > of it. Sounds reasonable, but the risk is very high, relativly speaking, if you
    > have an automobile accident. Without the coverage you face paying thousands and a
    > very long, very distressful time trying to get any of it back from the insurance
    > companies, or credit card companies. Some vacation!

However, the real point is that the charges for CDW and other rental car insurance
are outrageously high. I once rented a car for two weeks and the insurance costs were
as great as my ANNUAL insurance costs for my own car. I find it hard to believe that
this isn't a cash cow for rental car companies.

Barbara

Old Mar 30th 2002, 6:35 am
Devil

j coulter wrote:
    >
    > [email protected] (ntaylor) wrote in <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:45:18 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>ntaylor wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>> On 29 Mar 2002 11:33:55 -0800, [email protected] (nhampton) wrote:
    >
    > The thread is about CDW in Italy. Bottom line is that every car rental I have
    > used and those I have heard about, require insurance beyond the card whether it
    > is platinum sapphire emerald or any other precious metal. They want real
    > insurance in Italy.

What you get from the rental car company is *not* insurance according to my Hertz
BS. Quoting:

"LDW, CDW, TP and AER are not insurance." Etc.

And incidentally, if you go to the Hertz reservation page, you'll see that you can
get reservations in Italy in which (1) TP is mandatory but
(2) CDW is mentioned only as optional and *not included* in the total price.

Old Mar 30th 2002, 10:35 am
The Oik

"Nancy Millhoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
newsVbp8.138776$af7.69979@rwcrnsc53...
    > I rented a car in Italy thru AutoEurope. We used our credit card's CDW and
    > purchased no extra insurance. Cars going into Italy have an automatic
theft
    > coverage built into the fee. We drove all over Italy and had a great time. You
    > gotta be a defensive driver, but it's not nearly as bad as the reputation makes it.
    > Their toll roads were in excellent condition. Have
fun.
    >
you bought no 'extra' insurance but theft coverage was 'built into the fee'?? So how
does that work then?

Old Mar 30th 2002, 4:35 pm
Steve Juniper

I don't understand what the debate is. When I rent a car I decline the extra
insurance and the difference between what the vehicle rental agency or their
insurance pays for damage or loss and my further liability is paid by my (Visa
Platinum) credit card. It's clear and easy to read in my contract with them and can
be seen on their website. If this is an option that some credit cards provide and
some do not, that is something each holder should confirm for him/herself. Money paid
by me for extra insurance would be money thrown away. As I recall there are a few
countries that are excluded, Israel among them.

--
Steve Juniper ([email protected]) Berkeley, CA

"How can we claim 'compassion fatigue' when we show no sign of consumption
fatigue???' -- Sebastiao Salgado --

"hess" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I too am a little surprised at this skepticism. Why would you trust a rental car
    > company in Italy more than your own credit card? I have been renting cars in Italy
    > for 15 years, have had two minor accidents, and any gold card I had (AmEx, United)
    > has covered it--no questions asked, no hidden costs. I've never seen any kind of a
    > bill, so I have no idea how they work it out. Yes, you do have to pay something, if
    > you look at the inital rental bill, for the general insurance, but the CDW covers
    > the $ for the deductible--which in Italy can be several thousand dollars. That's
    > where the card kicks in, because, as others have noted, your car insurance doesn't
    > do squat overseas.
    >
    > If you doubt it, for heaven's sake get it in writing from your card company, but it
    > certainly has always worked for me. On a less upbeat note, I did get a notice from
    > my card that they will start charging a percentage fee to change money in overseas
    > ATMs. Used to be the best deal around. Now *that's* something to worry about!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 30th 2002, 8:35 pm
Michael Voight

Steve Juniper wrote:
    >
    > I don't understand what the debate is. When I rent a car I decline the extra
    > insurance

Great, now try that in Italy. They will refuse to give you a car.

Old Mar 31st 2002, 7:09 am
Devil

Michael Voight wrote:
    >
    > Steve Juniper wrote:
    > >
    > > I don't understand what the debate is. When I rent a car I decline the extra
    > > insurance
    >
    > Great, now try that in Italy. They will refuse to give you a car.

I have had this happen to me.

But OTOH, the Hertz Gold agreement only mentions TP as mandatory. And you can book
cars in Italy on the Hertz page which show CDW as optional.

Which at the very least should give you a basis for complaining.

Old Mar 31st 2002, 8:35 am
Mrtravel

devil wrote:
    >
    > Michael Voight wrote:
    > >
    > > Steve Juniper wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I don't understand what the debate is. When I rent a car I decline the
    > > > extra insurance
    > >
    > > Great, now try that in Italy. They will refuse to give you a car.
    >
    > I have had this happen to me.
    >
    > But OTOH, the Hertz Gold agreement only mentions TP as mandatory. And you can book
    > cars in Italy on the Hertz page which show CDW as optional.
    >
    > Which at the very least should give you a basis for complaining.

I finally just decided to go with an online agency that got me cheaper rates that
included CDW

Old Apr 1st 2002, 5:06 pm
Nhampton

> >
    > >They will not deny your claim. I damaged a car in England and had used my American
    > >Express card to waive the CDW. The credit card paid the damages. I only had to
    > >fill out a form when I returned the car. The rental company handled all details.
    > >American car insurance does not cover you in Europe so your credit card is the
    > >primary insurance.
    >
    > NT> It sounds like the claim was settled by the Insurance you had paid to the
    > NT> rental company
    > not the Amex card coverage, if you filled the form out for the rental company and
    > not the Credit card company. Bet if you looked close enough you will find that you
    > had a charge for the CDW insurance hidden in the contract somewhere.

No, I waived the insurance. The credit card paid for the damages. I am sure of this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.