Athens Greece

Old Jan 24th 2002, 12:34 am
Skuaman

Does any body have any information on Athens, Greece in August. Is that a good place
to visit ??? Any sugestions about a trip there ??? Larry

Old Jan 24th 2002, 6:38 am
Robert Mackway-Jones

check out www.greecetravel.com which includes an Athens survival guide with
heaps of info.

>
    >
    >

Old Jan 24th 2002, 8:03 am
Tk

Athens in August = heat, smog, tourist crowds. Worse month to visit!

>
    >
    >

Old Jan 30th 2002, 11:30 am
Aitor

I have been there, and in Athens there is not a lot to see (in my opinion), just the
Acropolis, the area behind the Acropolis (Pakla, I don't remember exactly the name).

Regards

Aitor http://w3.to/travellers

>
    >

Old Jan 30th 2002, 11:48 am
Tatjana K.

>
    >
    >

It's the Plaka

Tatjana
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> >Does any body have any information on Athens, Greece in August. Is that a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >place to visit ??? Any sugestions about a trip there ??? Larry[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jan 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
Don And Linda

Hi Larry,

Athens is extremely hot in August but it's definitely worth a visit! You'll find lots
of ideas for your trip on our non-commercial web site, TheTravelzine.com.

http://www.thetravelzine.com/greece1.htm
http://www.thetravelzine.com/fall99greece2.htm

Regards, Don and Linda http://www.thetravelzine.com/zine.htm

>
    >

Old Jan 31st 2002, 3:47 pm
Mike Lane

>
    >

Many would say it is worth going to Athens to see "just the Acropolis"

--
Mike Lane North Yorkshire, UK

Old Feb 1st 2002, 1:28 pm
Marvin

Mike wrote:
    >

Mike I totally agree with that statement. My wife and I would go back to Athens to
see "just the Acropolis." We also ate in some good restaurants while there; although
Memories is the only one I can remember the name.

--
Marvin & Sue web site: http://marvinwc.homestead.com

Old Feb 1st 2002, 2:56 pm
Pam P

The Acropolis is fabulous, the National Archaeological Museum is world-class and well
worth spending a minimum of half a day, Syntagma Square and the neighborhood all
around the President's Palace and Hadrian's Arch are interesting to walk, the Plaka
is a pleasant neighborhood to walk and browse and eat. As someone else pointed out,
the food is really good. We were told that Athens was crowded and polluted. Maybe
because we were there on a week end, we found it to be no more crowded than any large
city. On a week end the air was clear, sunny and we could see lovely scenery.

Definitely consider Athens....................Pam

Mike Lane wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I have been there, and in Athens there is not a lot to see (in my opinion), just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the Acropolis[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:02 pm
Pam P

The Acropolis is fabulous, the National Archaeological Museum is world-class and well
worth spending a minimum of half a day, Syntagma Square and the neighborhood all
around the President's Palace and Hadrian's Arch are interesting to walk, the Plaka
is a pleasant neighborhood to walk and browse and eat. As someone else pointed out,
the food is really good. We were told that Athens was crowded and polluted. Maybe
because we were there on a week end, we found it to be no more crowded than any large
city. On a week end the air was clear, sunny and we could see lovely scenery.

Definitely consider Athens....................Pam

Mike Lane wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I have been there, and in Athens there is not a lot to see (in my opinion), just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the Acropolis[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 25th 2002, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

ariadni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Athens Greece

I live in Athens, and believe me, August is the best month for this city.
I never take my annual leave in August (as the 80% of Greeks does) because I prefer staying in the city.

Almost all the Athenians are on holidays on the islands, there is no traffic, clubs are not overcrowded during the weekends.

It is NOT that hot as July is. And there is no pollution at all.

After all, Athens has very nice beaches, with clean water, where you can swim, it takes about 15-30 minutes to reach any of these (depending on the distance) from Syntagma square, (this happens only in August the rest of the year you need 30 minutes just to drive for a distance of 2-3 kilometers from the center).
The sunset is about 20.30-21.00, so even if you finish from the office at 17.00, you have plenty of time to swim every day !

ariadni