Wikiposts

Going Down ... Under

Old Sep 1st 2002, 10:45 am
Ellis McClure

Default Going Down ... Under

Hi!

I'm planning a holiday for 3 of us to Australia ... to see the sights .. .and visit
relatives etc. So, does anyone know of any deals that offer/include:

1. Flights to and from Australia (probably starting off in Melbourne). I'd prefer to
start my journey in Germany, but the UK would be a good second choice.
2. A combination flight pass(?) and car hire deal in Australia. We really want to see
as much of the country as possible.
3. An accommodation deal at a hotel/motel chain. We already have places (relatives)
to stay with in certain places ... but will need to spend some nights in hotels.

OK. You get the picture .. it's a long shot ... but any suggestions gratefully
accepted!!

Ellis

Old Sep 1st 2002, 10:59 am
Keith Willshaw

Default Re: Going Down ... Under

"Ellis McClure" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    > I'm planning a holiday for 3 of us to Australia ... to see the sights .. .and visit
    > relatives etc. So, does anyone know of any deals that offer/include:
    > 1. Flights to and from Australia (probably starting off in Melbourne). I'd prefer
    > to start my journey in Germany, but the UK would be a good second choice.
    > 2. A combination flight pass(?) and car hire deal in Australia. We really want to
    > see as much of the country as possible.

Forget combination deals, book the flights and car hire separately you'll get better
deals that way. You should actually book internal flight passes with your
international flights and talk to a good travel agent about open jaw and stopovers

As an example flying into Sydney and out of Melbourne usually carries no cost penalty
and saves you an internal flight.

> 3. An accommodation deal at a hotel/motel chain. We already have places (relatives)
    > to stay with in certain places ... but will need to spend some nights in hotels.

Again I'd advise against hotel passes, they seldom give good value and tie you in
to chains.

Keith

Old Sep 1st 2002, 9:03 pm
Vicki Steven

in article [email protected], Keith Willshaw at
keith@kwillshaw_NoSpam.demon.co.uk wrote on 2/9/02 10:59 AM:

> "Ellis McClure" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi!
    >> I'm planning a holiday for 3 of us to Australia ... to see the sights .. .and
    >> visit relatives etc. So, does anyone know of any deals that offer/include:
    >> 1. Flights to and from Australia (probably starting off in Melbourne). I'd prefer
    >> to start my journey in Germany, but the UK would be a good second choice.
    >> 2. A combination flight pass(?) and car hire deal in Australia. We really want to
    >> see as much of the country as possible.
    > Forget combination deals, book the flights and car hire separately you'll get
    > better deals that way. You should actually book internal flight passes with your
    > international flights and talk to a good travel agent about open jaw and stopovers
    > As an example flying into Sydney and out of Melbourne usually carries no cost
    > penalty and saves you an internal flight.
    >> 3. An accommodation deal at a hotel/motel chain. We already have places
    >> (relatives) to stay with in certain places ... but will need to spend some
    >> nights in hotels.
    > Again I'd advise against hotel passes, they seldom give good value and tie you in
    > to chains.
    > Keith

Best Western used to have a good deal where you paid as you went but got a "Passport"
stamped - stay 6 nights in total (1-6 properties) and the 7th was free. Anyone know
if they still have it?

Vicki

Old Sep 1st 2002, 10:11 pm
Broomer

If you're not in a hurry, you can fly even cheaper internally with Virgin Blue.
Provided you don't mind flying on "no frills". Since you're starting in Melbourne,
it's not that far to hit Sydney and further north along the way. If you want to see
Canberra, just organise a day trip down. With a lot of the other things you need, I
normally don't even bother with. Sydney is a nightmare to drive and park around and
I've never flown to our from Europe. Thanks to the Euro, it makes it even harder.
Enjoy your stay. :')

Stay Frosty,

Broomer

> Hi!
    > I'm planning a holiday for 3 of us to Australia ... to see the sights .. .and visit
    > relatives etc. So, does anyone know of any deals that offer/include:
    > 1. Flights to and from Australia (probably starting off in Melbourne). I'd prefer
    > to start my journey in Germany, but the UK would be a good second choice.
    > 2. A combination flight pass(?) and car hire deal in Australia. We really want to
    > see as much of the country as possible.
    > 3. An accommodation deal at a hotel/motel chain. We already have places (relatives)
    > to stay with in certain places ... but will need to spend some nights in hotels.
    > OK. You get the picture .. it's a long shot ... but any suggestions gratefully
    > accepted!!
    > Ellis

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 2:00 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Ellis,

We're flying from Germany in 3 weeks time. Originally we were going to transit to the UK first, but then we found out that BA/Qantas fly from Frankfurt, and Emirates fly from Munich. I can't speak for the FRA-MEL route, but from Munich it's MUC-DXB-MEL, with a brief fuel stop in SIN(gapore). Total travel time 24h40m, which includes a 3 hour stop in Dubai. And the price was good too - just under 2,ooo Euros for 2 adults and 2 kids, economy.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Ellis McClure:
1. Flights to and from Australia (probably starting off in Melbourne). I'd prefer to
start my journey in Germany, but the UK would be a good second choice.

Ellis
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:41 am
Ellis McClure

Default Re: Going Down ... Under - Thanks!

... thanks for the responses ... some useful food for thought!

Old Sep 6th 2002, 1:36 am
G.Kelly

Default Re: Going Down ... Under - Thanks!

Hello Ellis, I agree that it is better not to book a chain of motels if for no other
reason than in some places you can get good motels at half the price of other places
for instance capital cities are very expensive but get a motel just out of the city
on a train service and save heaps.

Do not miss Sydney - it is a beautiful city even though I do not live there
! just stay out of town - say Gosford - and get the train into the city

Fot the cheapaest motels in Australia come to the Gold Coast on Queensland and enjoy
our wonderful weather and surf together with rainforests and great night life. Godd
motels close to the beach can still be had here for $30 per double

Good Travelling Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

> ... thanks for the responses ... some useful food for thought!