Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.australia+nz
Reload this Page >

Can you help with my Melbourne Itinerary?

Can you help with my Melbourne Itinerary?

Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you help with my Melbourne Itinerary?

Hi, I have searched the archives but a lot of the information is old. My husband and I are coming to Melbourne in October, arriving on the Saturday morning (from Singapore) and leaving the Sunday of the following week. It's my first time to Melbourne, he's only been briefly on business. (We've been to Sydney a couple of times, also Uluru and TNQ.)

All our friends here and there have different opinions on what to do or not do - of course! - but we've decided that we WILL take a short trip on the Great Ocean Road, we DO want to stay in the city centre, and we MAY stay on a vineyard although we did that in NSW.

First set of questions - not knowing the distances (can't find a decent online map and yet to buy one) is this feasible?

2 nights on the Great Ocean Road
2 nights in the Yarra
3 nights shopping, drinking and eating our way round the city
1 night with friends (Brighton East)

And in which order? My tentative plan is we head to the coast from the airport, then the night with friends, then the wine region, then the city before heading back to the airport.

Second bit - any recommendations for accommodation? Locations on the Great Ocean Road? Wineries with accommodation? Friends are even arguing over whereabouts in Melbourne itself we should stay - CBD or outskirts. Budget is not humungous but reasonable (up to 100 quid a night); we prefer smaller hotels and are not bothered about fancy facilities.

Of course we'll hire a car, but would prefer to be able to walk round the city when we're there.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you help with my Melbourne Itinerary?

Well, we're just back, had a great time, did pretty much as above and so I thought I'd thank you for all your helpful advice.