Visiting Zimb.

Old May 14th 2002, 6:20 am
Greg Berchenko

Default Visiting Zimb.

Do I understand correctly it's pretty much no-go area now, especially for white
visitors. I've long wanted to visit it and will probably go to South Africa soon.

Old May 14th 2002, 6:20 pm
Scott Elliot

Default Re: Visiting Zimb.

Travel to Zimbabwe is not recommended by most people right now. On the other hand the
people are naturally friendly and they really need your tourist dollars so you could
be pleasantly surprised.

A lot depends on your risk/benefits tolerance. Risk may be a little higher, but there
might be some great deals as they try to attract tourists back. I don't believe most
people look at tourists as an enemy, so you could be treated well by the majority.
Still, with all the poverty people can get desparate.

I'm not going the Zimbabwe when I visit South Africa this August/September, but hope
to go back again when the political situation calms down.

Scott Elliot http://www3.telus.net/selliot

"Greg Berchenko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Do I understand correctly it's pretty much no-go area now, especially for white
    > visitors. I've long wanted to visit it and will probably go to South Africa soon.

Old May 14th 2002, 7:20 pm
I Hope) (Marc L

It all depends on where you want to go in Zimbabwe.

For example, if you're just going to Victoria Falls then you can't choose a better
time. Your tourist dollar will go pretty far, and Vic Falls is perfectly OK.
(Actually, the falls are much nicer on the Zambian side in any case, so it's probably
better to go to Livingstone rather than Vic Falls.)

The cities (Harare, Bulawayo, Mutare) are safe (as safe as any city) to visit, and
the chances of having any difficulties driving between them are slim. Driving to
Great Zimbabwe shouldn't be a problem either.

I wouldn't like to spend much time in the rural areas, or in agricultural areas at
the moment.

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg, South Africa

On 14 May 2002 07:15:18 -0700, [email protected] (Greg Berchenko) wrote:

>Do I understand correctly it's pretty much no-go area now, especially for white
    >visitors. I've long wanted to visit it and will probably go to South Africa soon.

Old Aug 26th 2002, 9:01 pm
Dries

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------34BE2787FC3FDCFE789FE44C
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Vic Falls is still relatively safe. Submit your needs at
http://www.cybertonature.co.za and we
will look at the safest available.

Greg Berchenko wrote:
    > Do I understand correctly it's pretty much no-go area now, especially for white
    > visitors. I've long wanted to visit it and will probably go to South Africa soon.
--------------34BE2787FC3FDCFE789FE44C Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii;
name="info.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Dries
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="info.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Velthuizen;Dries tel;cell:+27826844359 tel;work:012 5673279 (after hours)
x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:http://www.cybertonature.co.za org:Cybertonature Travel
Services;General Manager version:2.1 email;internet:[email protected]
noteries Velthuizen is a strategic knowledge manager and part-time general
manager/owner of Cybertonature Travel Services CC
adr;quoted-printable:;;Wonderboom=0D=0APretoria=0D=0AGauteng= 0D=0ASouth
Africa;;;; end:vcard

--------------34BE2787FC3FDCFE789FE44C--

Old Aug 30th 2002, 11:00 am
Shannon

Originally posted by Greg Berchenko:
Do I understand correctly it's pretty much no-go area now, especially for white
visitors. I've long wanted to visit it and will probably go to South Africa soon.
I thought it was dangerous but my 92 year old grandfather just got on a plane and flew to Zim, and then went to visit one of the farms in disputed territory (where his 80 year old brother was being held hostage).

He says that even in the ares where conflict has erupted, its not constant. The cities are fine as are regular tourist areas. He experienced no problems.

Shannon