Visa in Tanzania

Old Sep 6th 2002, 12:47 pm
Eileen Nelson

Default Visa in Tanzania

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to get a Visa at the border? I've
heard it isn't that difficult but by reading this ng it never hurts to get multiple
opinions and experiences. Thanks! Eileen

Old Sep 6th 2002, 4:41 pm
Harlan Hague

Default Re: Visa in Tanzania

Where would you get it, on the road between Nairobi and Arusha? That small border
station can be chaotic when two buses pull in at the same time. Why would you wait
to get it at the border when you can get it before leaving Canada? I wouldn't do
it on a bet.

Harlan
----
Soft Adventure tours, the way to go, at
http://softadventure.net
Argentina/Chile/Easter Island, spring 2003, http://softadventure.net/argentina-chile2003.htm England's
Gardens and the Cotswolds, June 2003, http://softadventure.net/england2003.htm

"Eileen Nelson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
ca
    | Hello everyone,
    |
    | I was wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to get a Visa at the border?
    | I've heard it isn't that difficult but by reading this ng it never hurts to get
    | multiple opinions and experiences. Thanks! Eileen
    |
    |

Old Sep 6th 2002, 5:49 pm
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 04:41:01 GMT, Harlan Hague
<[email protected]> wrote:
    > Where would you get it, on the road between Nairobi and Arusha? That small border
    > station can be chaotic when two buses pull in at the same time. Why would you wait
    > to get it at the border when you can get it before leaving Canada? I wouldn't do it
    > on a bet.

I'll take that bet.

I traveled through 11 African countries in the first part of this year. That's 10
visas obtained at border crossings (including Tanzania) and 1 obtained in advance
(Kenya). The one I got in advance cost me a 100 times the trouble and anxiety of all
the others put together. Unless you live in the capital city, getting a visa in
advance involves sending your passport across country, waiting for it to arrive at
the embassy (or not), waiting weeks for the embassy to award you a visa (or not), and
another wait for your passport and visa to return (or not). Meanwhile, the embassy
may or may not choose to answer the phone and give you any kind of hint about what is
happening.

Getting a visa at the border, on the other hand is a straight forward process. It
might take an hour if they are very busy. It can not and will not weeks and you
passport never leaves the building.

IMHO, getting a visa in advance only makes sense if there is no other way or you live
in the capital city and can personally pay a visit to the embassy.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to [email protected] or
[email protected] will only result in frustration.

Old Sep 6th 2002, 7:36 pm
Jerry

Just came back from my 5th trip to Tanzania. If you are flying into Dar it's very
easy - just get into the queue for the visa desk (on the right hand side) hand over
your $50.00 and wait for visa to be processed. Worth getting to the front of the
queue if you can as it take a few minutes for them to process each visa.

One drove in via the Kenya/Tz border at Namanga, but had arranged the visa in
advance.

Andrew

ca
    > Hello everyone,
    > I was wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to get a Visa at the border?
    > I've heard it isn't that difficult but by reading this ng it never hurts to get
    > multiple opinions and experiences. Thanks! Eileen

Old Sep 6th 2002, 9:09 pm
Liz

In message <[email protected]> [email protected]
(Eric Edwards) wrote:

> I traveled through 11 African countries in the first part of this year. That's 10
    > visas obtained at border crossings (including Tanzania) and 1 obtained in advance
    > (Kenya). The one I got in advance cost me a 100 times the trouble and anxiety of
    > all the others put together.

It must depend where you live. I've done it six times for Kenya and twice for Tz. (in
UK) I live in Scotland and have to send to the embassis in London. Obviously, I sent
the passports registered post, and sent what was necessary for them to return them by
registered post. Every time, I got them back within 7-10 days.

Or maybe I've just been lucky?!

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk Safaris
(Kenya and Tanzania); NEW: Kenya 2002 'rushes' now up "I speak of Africa and
golden joys"

Old Sep 7th 2002, 2:14 am
Peter Gower

Remember that if you have a Kenya or Uganda visitor's visa, you do not need a
separate Tz visa.

Eileen Nelson wrote:

> Hello everyone,
    > I was wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to get a Visa at the border?
    > I've heard it isn't that difficult but by reading this ng it never hurts to get

Old Sep 7th 2002, 4:58 am
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:14:38 -0400, Peter Gower <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Remember that if you have a Kenya or Uganda visitor's visa, you do not need a
    >separate Tz visa.

Where did you hear that from? It wasn't true when I was there in January and
February. What is true is that you don't need a multi-entry visa to travel back and
forth between Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya. But you still need a single entry visa
for each country.

--

Old Sep 7th 2002, 5:25 am
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:09:08 +0100, Liz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It must depend where you live. I've done it six times for Kenya and twice for Tz.
    >(in UK) I live in Scotland and have to send to the embassis in London. Obviously, I
    >sent the passports registered post, and sent what was necessary for them to return
    >them by registered post. Every time, I got them back within 7-10 days.
    >Or maybe I've just been lucky?!

I think you've been lucky and you live in a much smaller country. It took the Kenya
Embassy in Washington DC more than 10 days to issue me a visa after they signed for
it and it even took an extra day for them to sign for it. Then it had to go all the
way to California. The process took so much longer than the stated norm that I had
already moved out of my apartment when they finished. I had to tell them to send my
passport to a different address, which they didn't do and then I had to fix that by
getting the courier to re-direct.

There was absolutely nothing missing or incomplete in the application. It was
completely normal and straightforward. If there had been any problem, there is no
doubt I would have missed my flight.

In the States, there are companies that specialize in visa applications. They hand
carry the passports to the embassies and call the embassies daily to make sure
everything happens when it should. I have no doubt they earn their keep at least
some of the time. Of course, for the countries of interest, getting a visa at the
airport or border is quick and painless so why bother?

--

Old Sep 7th 2002, 7:36 am
Joseph Goodman

Visa's at border are possible, but I strongly recommend getting it ahead of time.

1) Political situations may make it harder and longer to get at border.

2) Holiday's or coffee break may have you wait longer in line.

3) Depending on number of others getting a visa at the border, you may have to wait
in lengthly line.

It seems so much easier to get it before leaving I don't understand why anyone would
want to take a chance and not get it ahead of time.

Joe Goodman

ca
    > Hello everyone,

Old Sep 7th 2002, 10:40 am
Eileen Nelson

The problem I run into is that I have 3 countries I need visas for and the all expire
in 3 months from date of issue. I won't be entering into Tanzania until mid Nov but I
leave Canada in end of Sept, so I have to wait to apply for them all at the end of
Aug and I don't think I will have enough time to have all 3 done and completed before
I go. I'm in the process of applying to Zimbabwe now and then I plan on applying for
Kenya in advance as well. I was hopin I could do Tanzania at the border.

Thanks everyone for the responses and experiences and if you have more, I would love
to hear about them

Eileen "Joseph Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Visa's at border are possible, but I strongly recommend getting it ahead
of
    > time.
    > 1) Political situations may make it harder and longer to get at border.
    > 2) Holiday's or coffee break may have you wait longer in line.
    > 3) Depending on number of others getting a visa at the border, you may
have
    > to wait in lengthly line.
    > It seems so much easier to get it before leaving I don't understand why anyone
    > would want to take a chance and not get it ahead of time.
    > Joe Goodman
    > "Eileen Nelson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > ca
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > I was wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to get a Visa at the border?
    > > I've heard it isn't that difficult but by reading this ng it
never
    > > hurts to get multiple opinions and experiences. Thanks! Eileen
    > >
    > >

Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:31 am
Liz

In message <[email protected]> [email protected]
(Eric Edwards) wrote:

> In the States, there are companies that specialize in visa applications. They hand
    > carry the passports to the embassies and call the embassies daily to make sure
    > everything happens when it should. I have no doubt they earn their keep at least
    > some of the time.

In the UK, the two companies I know of which do this charge £40 *each person*, but
given that I'd have to mail the passports to them in London, there seems to be little
value. I did use one once when we were going to India at very short notice.

I've seen the queues in Dar - it was taking over an hour to get through. I can do
without this after an overnight flight.

It might take less time in JKI, but what impresses me there is that I can be off
the plane and in a vehicle within 20 minutes - twice even less. Last year in
Atlanta it took over an hour before our plane's luggage (IYSWIM) even arrived on
the conveyor belt!

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk Safaris
(Kenya and Tanzania); NEW: Kenya 2002 'rushes' now up "I speak of Africa and
golden joys"

Old Sep 7th 2002, 12:29 pm
Peter Gower

Sorry if I am wrong, but that certainly not the case when we last crossed. If you had
a Visitor's Visa to Kenya, then you got into Tz without another visa as long as the
Kenya visa was still valid. If you are a Kenya Resident, as I was, then you do need a
Tz visa. (What you are not told when you get the visa is that it can be multi-entry.
The key is to say that you need the visa for the maximum time period allowed. Then
you can reenter as often as you like during that time period.) I was always told that
this was true for Uganda as well, a relic of the days when the three countries were a
political union.
PS: Is the East African Federation passport a reality yet? It was 'almost ready' in
1998. Peter

Eric Edwards wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:14:38 -0400, Peter Gower <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Remember that if you have a Kenya or Uganda visitor's visa, you do not need a
    > >separate Tz visa.
    > Where did you hear that from? It wasn't true when I was there in January and
    > February. What is true is that you don't need a multi-entry visa to travel back
    > and forth between Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya. But you still need a single entry
    > visa for each country.
    > --
    > Use the From: header. Sending mail to [email protected] or
    > [email protected] will only result in frustration.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 3:34 am
Joseph Goodman

I have to agree with Eric,

When I went from Kenya to Tanzania I needed a seperate visa.

Joe Goodman

> Eric Edwards wrote:
    > > On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:14:38 -0400, Peter Gower <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >Remember that if you have a Kenya or Uganda visitor's visa, you do not need a
    > > >separate Tz visa.
    > >
    > > Where did you hear that from? It wasn't true when I was there in January and
    > > February. What is true is that you don't need a multi-entry visa to travel back
    > > and forth between Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya. But you still need a single entry
    > > visa for each country.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Use the From: header. Sending mail to [email protected] or
    > > [email protected] will only result in frustration.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 7:30 am
Kamie

wow.. it took me about 5 days to get a visa for kenya and another 8 days to get one
from tanz. I think you just had some bad luck.

--kamie

"> I think you've been lucky and you live in a much smaller country. It
    > took the Kenya Embassy in Washington DC more than 10 days to issue me a visa after
    > they signed for it and it even took an extra day for them to sign for it. Then it
    > had to go all the way to California. The process took so much longer than the
    > stated norm that I had already moved out of my apartment when they finished. I had
    > to tell them to send my passport to a different address, which they didn't do and
    > then I had to fix that by getting the courier to re-direct.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 7:31 am
Kamie

If you have time get it before you leave. Unless you can be the first one in line
it's a real pain.

--kamie

ca
    > Hello everyone,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.