Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.africa
Reload this Page >

Seeking URGENT advice!!!!!

Seeking URGENT advice!!!!!

Old Aug 5th 2002, 7:21 pm
Fabrizio

Default Seeking URGENT advice!!!!!

Hello everybody!

I'm leaving TOMORROW for South Africa and I am supposed to stay in Krueger Park in
the period August 15-18.So I would STILL be in a position to begin my antimalaria
treatment with Lariam, BUT I'm scared from what I read about its side effects
(especially in view of the fact that my 11 y.o. daughter would have to take the pills
as well),so I'm oriented to take Malarone instead.I know that Malarone is supposed to
be efficacious in the prophylactics, but does anybody know what drug should then be
taken for treatment (it seems that you cannot use for treatment the same drug you are
on)? I would appreciate a QUICK response!!

Fabrizio

Old Aug 6th 2002, 3:21 am
Francesca Porcù

Default Re: Seeking URGENT advice!!!!!

Fabrizio, I cannot help you with MALARONE, but I had to take LARIAM during my last
three journeys in Thailand, and I haven't had any side effects. The only problem was
that the pill was really hard to digest. I had no problem at all, but Giorgio,
travelling with me, had a stomach ache all day long, on the day he took his pill.
Maybe, we have just been lucky, but I wanted you to know my experience. Have a great
trip, Francesca

P.S.: Di dove sei?

"fabrizio" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio:

snip

> So I would STILL be in a position to begin my antimalaria treatment with Lariam,
    > BUT I'm scared from what I read about its side effects (especially in view of the
    > fact that my 11 y.o. daughter would have to take the pills as well)

snip

Old Aug 6th 2002, 5:20 am
Tashi

I've taken Lariam twice so far and have not had problems with it. I think the worst
thing was just an all around blah feeling for a couple of days, you only take it once
a week so a couple days of blah is better than malaria, also with the " hard to
digest thing" It is important to take Larium with lots of water. have a good trip.
ciao tashi "Francesca Porcù" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Fabrizio, I cannot help you with MALARONE, but I had to take LARIAM during my last
    > three journeys in Thailand, and I haven't had any side effects. The only problem
    > was that the pill was really hard to digest. I had no problem at all, but Giorgio,
    > travelling with me, had a stomach ache all
day
    > long, on the day he took his pill. Maybe, we have just been lucky, but I wanted you
    > to know my experience. Have a great trip, Francesca
    >
    > P.S.: Di dove sei?
    >
    >
    > "fabrizio" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio:
    >
    > snip
    >
    > > So I would STILL be in a position to begin my antimalaria treatment with Lariam,
    > > BUT I'm scared from what I read about its side effects (especially in view of the
    > > fact that my 11 y.o. daughter would have to take the pills as well)
    >
    > snip

Old Aug 6th 2002, 6:21 am
Johan W. Elzeng

fabrizio <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm leaving TOMORROW for South Africa and I am supposed to stay in Krueger Park in
    > the period August 15-18.So I would STILL be in a position to begin my antimalaria
    > treatment with Lariam, BUT I'm scared from what I read about its side effects
    > (especially in view of the fact that my 11 y.o. daughter would have to take the
    > pills as well),so I'm oriented to take Malarone instead.I know that Malarone is
    > supposed to be efficacious in the prophylactics, but does anybody know what drug
    > should then be taken for treatment (it seems that you cannot use for treatment the
    > same drug you are on)? I would appreciate a QUICK response!!

If you take Malarone as prophylactics, your doctor can use Fansidar or Lariam if you
ever needed treatment. However, since there is no known resistance against Malarone
yet, it is unlikely that you'll ever need treatment anyway. Relax, just enjoy Kruger.

--
Johan W. Elzenga Editor / Photographer

Old Aug 6th 2002, 6:21 am
Raffi Balmanouk

in article [email protected], Tashi at [email protected]
wrote on 8/6/02 12:40 PM:

> I've taken Lariam twice so far and have not had problems with it. I think the worst
    > thing was just an all around blah feeling for a couple of days, you only take it
    > once a week so a couple days of blah is better than malaria, also with the " hard
    > to digest thing" It is important to take Larium with lots of water. have a good
    > trip. ciao tashi "Francesca Porcù" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Fabrizio, I cannot help you with MALARONE, but I had to take LARIAM during my last
    >> three journeys in Thailand, and I haven't had any side effects. The only problem
    >> was that the pill was really hard to digest. I had no problem at all, but Giorgio,
    >> travelling with me, had a stomach ache all
    > day
    >> long, on the day he took his pill. Maybe, we have just been lucky, but I wanted
    >> you to know my experience. Have a great trip, Francesca
    >>
    >> P.S.: Di dove sei?
    >>
    >>
    >> "fabrizio" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio:
    >>
    >> snip
    >>
    >>> So I would STILL be in a position to begin my antimalaria treatment with Lariam,
    >>> BUT I'm scared from what I read about its side effects (especially in view of the
    >>> fact that my 11 y.o. daughter would have to take the pills as well)
    >>
    >> snip
    >>
    >>
    >
    >

I haven't had any side effects either, on three courses (I think; can't remember if I
took it in Africa or not; otherwise, two courses). BUT people differ, and check with
your doc. Most places recommend starting at least a week before entering the zone,
partly to get you and your system used to taking the drug (i.e. the habit), but also
so that if there are any side effects they will probably show up while still in your
home country.

Old Aug 6th 2002, 10:20 am
Lily Benjamin

First of all, never joke with malaria. My husband once came back with malaria from
Africa, he was seriously ill.

For some times we used Lariam in times of travelling to Africa. But I have the idea
that my husband was not feeling well on it, depressed, tired, emotional, etc. For our
last trip we used malarone. We started one day before travelling, and stopped one
week after. No single problem with it. The only thing is you have to use it everyday,
and it is expensive. For 48 tablets we payed about 130 euro.

But before everything, go to a doctor and ask for a good advice for your situation,
and have a good trip!! Greetings, Lily "fabrizio" <[email protected]> schreef in
bericht news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everybody!
    >
    > I'm leaving TOMORROW for South Africa and I am supposed to stay in Krueger Park in
    > the period August 15-18.So I would STILL be in a position to begin my antimalaria
    > treatment with Lariam, BUT I'm scared from what I read about its side effects
    > (especially in view of the fact that my 11 y.o. daughter would have to take the
    > pills as well),so I'm oriented to take Malarone instead.I know that Malarone is
    > supposed to be efficacious in the prophylactics, but does anybody know what drug
    > should then be taken for treatment (it seems that you cannot use for treatment the
    > same drug you are on)? I would appreciate a QUICK response!!
    >
    > Fabrizio

Old Aug 6th 2002, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Rozanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

I have had a terrible experience with Lariam - I took it years ago and I lost two years out of my life - It sent me completely ga-ga - The doctor actually thought I was suffering from ME at the time - AND I lost my job through Lariam as I couldnt work for two years. I certainly wouldnt give it to a child because the dosage is the same as the adult's (I believe).
Old Aug 7th 2002, 12:15 am
Al Robinson

My sister-in-law, used Larium on a trip to SE Asia some ten years ago, and ever
since has not been able to sleep more than a couple of hours a night, or leave home
for more than a few minutes at a time, as the least bit of excitement or stress
tires her out.

She had to retire from her profession, and is now completely dependent on my brother
for all household duties. When family members go to visit, they can't stay more than
an hour, if even that, depending on how she is feeling at the time. Before that,
she was into mountain hiking, tennis, jogging, biking, - you name it.

She had been suffering from symptoms of Epstein Barr at the time, so attributes her
present condition to the combination of the two. She found out after the trip that
people with Epstein Barr syndrome should not take Larium.

My friends all took Larium on a recent trip to Africa, but I used doxycyclene, and
then made sure I used plenty of sun screen and wore long-sleeve shirts, as it makes
one more sun-sensitive. No one had any problems, but I suspect 90 to 95 percent of
people travelling, provided they are strong and healthy, would have no serious
problems with Larium. My view, however, is why take the chance, when the odds of
catching Malaria, if one practices strict avoidance of potential malaria-prone
conditions, are minimal (e.g. avoiding evenings outdoors especially near water, using
mosquito-repellent with DEET and mosquito netting where necessary, etc.)

Everyone is different, however, so each one must decide for him or her self according
to one's own situation. The main thing to remember, regardless of the prophylactic
used, is to still attempt to avoid being bitten.

Al R http://www.alrobinson.com

"Rozanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have had a terrible experience with Lariam - I took it years ago and I lost two
    > years out of my life - It sent me completely ga-ga - The doctor actually thought I
    > was suffering from ME at the time - AND I lost my job through Lariam as I couldnt
    > work for two years. I certainly wouldnt give it to a child because the dosage is
    > the same as the adult's (I believe).
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com