Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.africa
Reload this Page >

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:39 am
  #1  
Dimitrie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Hi Everybody

We are going to Tanzania in the summer of 2007 and were thinking about
also doing a riding safari. Can this be recommended for beginners with
little experience? Does anybody have any experiences with tour
organizers? Are there any budget tours available saving money be means
of accomodation? Is it best to book a tour in advance from home or when
arriving in Daare Es Salam or at any national park?

We'd be very thankfull for any information
Sincerely

Chris + Ulli
 
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:47 am
  #2  
Dave Patterson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Never heard of one.
Remember that any safari worth taking would include
areas with major predators. Your horse might look
like lunch to them.
 
Old Dec 25th 2006, 12:31 pm
  #3  
Liz Leyden
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

In message <[email protected]. com>
"Dimitrie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi Everybody
    >
    > We are going to Tanzania in the summer of 2007 and were thinking about
    > also doing a riding safari. Can this be recommended for beginners with
    > little experience? Does anybody have any experiences with tour
    > organizers? Are there any budget tours available saving money be means
    > of accomodation? Is it best to book a tour in advance from home or when
    > arriving in Daare Es Salam or at any national park?

Don't know about Tz. I know you can do it in Kenya, but if the price
was budget, I'd be concerned about the care of the horses: some places
I saw clearly didn't make that a priority. I couldn't recommend any
I've seen (just a few) but I know there are more expensive ones I
haven't seen - looking at a brochure I have to hand, I see one in
Kenya 'from Loita Hills to Masai Mara', one along the Limpopo River
(Tuli Block) in South Africa, and one in Maun/Okovango in Botswana.
This is an (upper)-middle price company. Don't see one for Tz, though.

Slainte

Liz


--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/g...emberID=165111
 
Old Dec 25th 2006, 7:51 pm
  #4  
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

I don't have direct experience with any in Tanzania, but a quick Google
search of "horse tanzania safari" turned up what looks like rich
pickings. Be sure you follow Liz's advice re: animal welfare...and
Dave's about being lion food. That said, it seems like there are
numerous opportunities to see Tanzania's people, animals and
environments from horseback.

Let us know what you decide -- and post your photos when you get back!

Kurt
 
Old Dec 26th 2006, 4:05 am
  #5  
Corn�
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

"Dave Patterson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
    > Never heard of one.
    > Remember that any safari worth taking would include
    > areas with major predators. Your horse might look
    > like lunch to them.

Not always Dave, here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
do big-5 horseback safaris.

As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...

Corn�
 
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:54 am
  #6  
Dave Patterson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

"Corn�" wrote:

    > here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
    > do big-5 horseback safaris.
    > As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...

It does sound like something that would be fun.
Up until that very last moment.. Hahaha
 
Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:15 pm
  #7  
Marc Lurie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Dave, of course you don't have to outrun the lion. You only have to
outrun your travelling companions. :-)

Marc

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:54:51 -0700, Dave Patterson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Corn�" wrote:
>
>> here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
>> do big-5 horseback safaris.
>>
>> As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...
>
>It does sound like something that would be fun.
>Up until that very last moment.. Hahaha
 
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:41 am
  #8  
Magoo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Dave Patterson wrote:
> Never heard of one.
> Remember that any safari worth taking would include
> areas with major predators. Your horse might look
> like lunch to them.
>
THAT WAS GOOD DAVE!!!
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.