Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.africa
Reload this Page >

Emigrate to South Africa?

Emigrate to South Africa?

Old Mar 27th 2002, 7:05 pm
Act Now

Default Re: Emigrate to South Africa?

"joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Ferdi Greyling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On 25 Mar 2002 21:47:25 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald Bosanquet)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > <<>Yes - Herr Bob Mugabe would like you to emigrate to Zibabwe.
    > > >SA will end up like Zimbabwe. >>
    > >
    > > You dumb ****, SA and Zimbabwe are two different countries. (written by
    > one of the regulars Ferdi
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    > The ng seems to have been taken over by foul mouthed extremists with
very
    > little knowledge, either first or second hand, about South Africa. The regulars are
    > just lurking, in the main, in the hope the children will get bored & move on.
    > >
    > > Moira, the ****ed Godmother
    >

Old Mar 27th 2002, 10:05 pm
Eyeballkid

"Act Now" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Ferdi Greyling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > On 25 Mar 2002 21:47:25 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald Bosanquet)
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > <<>Yes - Herr Bob Mugabe would like you to emigrate to Zibabwe.
    > > > >SA will end up like Zimbabwe. >>
    > > >
    > > > You dumb ****, SA and Zimbabwe are two different countries. (written
by
    > > one of the regulars Ferdi
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > The ng seems to have been taken over by foul mouthed extremists with
    > very
    > > little knowledge, either first or second hand, about South Africa. The regulars
    > > are just lurking, in the main, in the hope the children
will
    > > get bored & move on.
    > > >
    > > > Moira, the ****ed Godmother
    > > >
    > >

If someone posted a message on the earthquake in the Afghans, I'm sure Reginald or
Act Now will find a way to link it to Herr Mugabe. I think you guys need to go see
your psychiatrists.

NOW.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 3:35 am
Reginald Bosanq

[email protected] (Ferdi Greyling) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 25 Mar 2002 21:47:25 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald
    > Bosanquet) wrote:
    >
    > <<>Yes - Herr Bob Mugabe would like you to emigrate to Zibabwe.
    > >SA will end up like Zimbabwe. >>
    >
    > You dumb ****, SA and Zimbabwe are two different countries.

Not for long. BTW - who is the dumb f*** - your the one who lives in SA. LOL!

Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

For those of you that don't have anything constructive to say... please don't bother, take your foul mouths elsewhere. People that are continually negative and foul mouthed become very tiresome! This is meant to be a useful NG where people ask questions and get helpful replies. The latter part of this thread seems to have turned into a slagging match and moved away from my original question.

Is there anyone out there that has plans to move (back) to South Africa?
Old Mar 28th 2002, 1:35 pm
Joe

My psychiatrists Josef Mengele died of old age and the pills he left me is finished.

> If someone posted a message on the earthquake in the Afghans, I'm sure Reginald or
    > Act Now will find a way to link it to Herr Mugabe. I think you guys need to go see
    > your psychiatrists.
    >
    > NOW.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 1:35 am
B

On 27 Mar 2002 18:30:57 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald Bosanquet) wrote
in message
<[email protected] >:
    >[email protected] (Ferdi Greyling) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 25 Mar 2002 21:47:25 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald Bosanquet)
    >> wrote: <<>Yes - Herr Bob Mugabe would like you to emigrate to Zibabwe.
    >> >SA will end up like Zimbabwe. >>
    >> You dumb ****, SA and Zimbabwe are two different countries.
    >Not for long. BTW - who is the dumb f*** - your the one who lives in SA. LOL!

South Africa is a cool country to live.

Are you an ex-pat by any chance?

--
[email protected] V ybir lbh nyy. Lbh ner nyy fhpu fcrpvny crbcyr. Naq abj V
unir gb xvyy lbh.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 10:35 am
Norman

"b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On 27 Mar 2002 18:30:57 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald Bosanquet)
    > wrote in message
    > <[email protected] >:
    > >[email protected] (Ferdi Greyling) wrote in message
    > >> On 25 Mar 2002 21:47:25 -0800, [email protected] (Reginald Bosanquet)
    > >> wrote: <<>Yes - Herr Bob Mugabe would like you to emigrate to Zibabwe.
    > >> >SA will end up like Zimbabwe. >>
    > >> You dumb ****, SA and Zimbabwe are two different countries.
    > >Not for long. BTW - who is the dumb f*** - your the one who lives in
SA. LOL!
    >
    > South Africa is a cool country to live.

Cool????? +28Celsius is cool???????
    >
    > Are you an ex-pat by any chance?

A deceased Irishman????..... With a name like Bosanquet??????

Old Mar 30th 2002, 10:35 pm
Reginald Bosanq

Magwired <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Are you a South African? How long did you live in South Africa, or any other
    > African country for that matter?
    >
    > Plunging currency... it seems to have levelled out for the time being at 1
    > British Pound = 16.52859 South African Rand, prior to the massive drop at the end
    > of 2001, the Rand was stable at around 10-12 Rands to the pound for several
    > years. If it were "plunging" the Rand would never have recovered from 20 Rand to
    > 16 Rand to the Pound.
    >
    > Rampant AIDS... yes unfortunately this is the case, and without education, funding,
    > etc it will unfortunately remain this way.
    >
    > Crime is high, and yes they are targeting some affluent areas, but you'll find that
    > majority of the crime occurs in and around the townships. By saying "whites
    > attacked and killed" you are in fact wrong, your statement should say "people of
    > all races are being attacked and in some cases killed"! But then isn't this the
    > case worldwide?
    >
    > Finally, I wasn't asking about Zimbabwe, my thread is about South Africa or to be
    > more precise, the Republic of South Africa, which won't necessarily go the same
    > way as many other Africa countries - for starters the president can only be in
    > office for a maximum of 2 terms, therefore preventing a dictatorship as in
    > Zimbabwe and Kenya.
    >
    > To be honest I was hoping for some constructive feedback.

Yes yes but we do know that SA will go the same ways as Mugabe and Zimbabwe. http://-
news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/from_our_own_correspondent/newsid_1886000/1886201.stm

Old Mar 31st 2002, 5:35 am
Scott Elliot

"Reginald Bosanquet" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Yes yes but we do know that SA will go the same ways as Mugabe and Zimbabwe.

We do not know anything of the sort. We know that SA has many economic, political and
social problems. We know that there are factions within and without the country that
have the potential to destabilize it.

We should also appreciate that the current government appears to be doing its best to
resolve these problems in as humane and just a way as possible.

For example, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was a unique attempt at healing
the damages of civil war. A commission travelled the country and participants from
both sides of the conflict attended and admitted to the violent deeds they had done.
Most of them were then forgiven and told to go about their lives. I have yet to see a
more direct attemp at obtaining reconciliation after any other conflict on this
earth. The effort is to be commended.

We still do not know how SA will turn out, but my bet is that over time things will
gradually improve.

Scott Elliot Canada

Old Apr 1st 2002, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

Thanks Scott for your input, I also believe that South Africa will improve and not end up like so many other African countries, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, to name a few...

I find it amazing how so many South Africans that have left South Africa are so quick to critisise and are also incredibly pessimistic about their own country, as the quote goes... "Rome wasn't built in a day." I believe because South Africa has such a strong infrastructure the ability is there to improve, however, the more educated South Africans do need to stay in the country for this to happen.
Old Apr 5th 2002, 10:35 am
Steve & Jeremy

Hi

Don't know if someone living in SA commenting on this is what you're looking for, but
here goes.

Haven't seen any of the negative comments either - maybe just as well.

This is a beautiful country, as I'm sure you know. With beautiful people. We have
gone through / come through some very dramatic changes - remarkably gently (which
many people forget!). We have major problems to deal with - high unemployment and
crime (often interlinked) are possibly the ones most people are familiar with. A
somewhat disconcerting official view on the recent Zimbabwe elections, although there
appears to be some merit in our president's "softly softly" approach. A disastrous
official approach to the huge AIDS pandemic. An absolute inability to win
international sports matches - particularly against Australia. The thorny issue of
affirmative action to counteract the legacy of apartheid. A destructively negative
attitude by many of the local whites - AND the many who have left and need to justify
their action.

BUT - we have the most broadminded constitution in the world. We have a strong,
independent Constitutional Court. We have an economy which is, given our position as
an emerging economy, doing quite well. We are one of the fastest - growing tourist
destinations - a huge potential economically! We have some of the finest weather and
wine in the world.

I am proud to live here. I am happy living here. Yes, there are problems, but if we
are prepared to work on those we can influnce and be positive, there is a great
future here!!

I include below extracts from an article written by one Ross Chowles, which appeared
in a local magazine a while ago:

"Africanitus is a disease that affects mainly the white and well-to-do population of
South Africa. It affects the way in which we view the world - the way in which we
view our country. We accept problems in Europe and America as the norm, but we are
intolerant of them here. For instance, workers at Johannesburg International Airport
staged a one-day baggage strike and all I heard was comments like:"Third World
country, what do you expect?" The response was viscious.

However, France had a 3-week baggage strike at Charles de Gaulle Airport just before
the Soccer World Cup. What did we say? Nothing! Last winter, England was paralysed by
strike action. What did we say? Nothing, not a word.

Since the democratic government came to power in 1994, South Africa has had fewer
strikes than when the Nats were in, but we're so intolerant in South Africa that we
always look for the negative aspects. We moan about the petrol price, but in France
it's 8 Francs - almost R8 - per litre.

We have a great country filled with wonderful, exciting and interesting people. And
yes, we have a great government. Of course there is corruption, but are you going to
tell me that the old government was not corrupt? There are a lot of farms in South
America that are linked to the old government. At least the corruption is, for the
most part, now exposed.

South Africa has become a land of opportunity. If you want to start a business, you
can. Yes, you might have to pay someone a bribe, but you can get going. Try starting
a new business in the First World. There is so much red tape, it's almost impossible.
Life is suffocating in First World countries. If you work hard here, you can still
lead a good life. Overseas, working hard is not enough. Yes, we are the so-called
Wild West. But the wild west is exciting.Who wants to watch movies about safe, boring
Switzerland? South Africa is going through the Industrial Revolution that England
went through 200 years ago, not to mention the IT revolution and social
transformation!

We have the best, or should I say most liberal, constitution in the world. In my
career in advertising, we engage a lot of research, and what is interesting is that
the view from Constantia is negative, but from Gugulethu things are looking up. Life
is better and there are signs of a growing middle class. We see the shack from
outside and we are negative, but when you see the inside of the shack, you see a home
filled with furniture , appliances and hope.

Yes, crime is rife. I've just come back from spending time in Canada, and let me tell
you, Canadians may be safe, but they are dead inside. Here, you may die violently
tomorrow, but today you are alive - really alive.

During World War Two, more people fell in love, there were more inventions and people
really lived because they never knew if the next day would be their last.

If you promised me an exchange rate of R1 to the Pound to have the old government
back, I would reject your offer. I never want the old South Africa back. The old
government was so Calvinist that you couldn't buy toilet paper on a Sunday.

We lived with total censorship, constant propoganda, suppression of negative comments
against the apartheid government and forced military conscription. We were isolated
on the social and sport fronts.

In my opinion, the ANC is the best government we've had so far. Yes, they can be
better, and yes, they've made some mistakes, but not as many and not as large as the
ones the Nats made.

This does not mean we must excuse the government, but we must support the good things
and point out things in a way to make people see that life is actually great here.

In 1940, England's Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, told the British people: "Let
us not speak of darker days. These are not dark days. Let us speak rather of stern
days. These are not dark days, these are great days, the greatest days our country
has ever lived." Churchill may as well have been addressing South Africans in 2001.
South Africa rocks! All you need to do is realise it and stop complaining - you may
just get the old SA back."

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION - MAKING!!

Regards from a sunny Autumn day in Cape Town.

Steve Koch

Magwired <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > For those of you that don't have anything constructive to say... please don't
    > bother, take your foul mouths elsewhere. People that are continually negative and
    > foul mouthed become very tiresome! This is meant to be a useful NG where people ask
    > questions and get helpful replies. The latter part of this thread seems to have
    > turned into a slagging match and moved away from my original question.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there that has plans to move (back) to South Africa?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 5th 2002, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Wow... what a long posting and what a great read :-) Thanks for your input. If we decide that South Africa is for us over the UK and Australia, then we'll be heading for Cape Town mainly for it's beauty and the fact that it's by the sea.

Thanks again,
Myrica
Old Apr 8th 2002, 8:50 am
Reginald Bosanq

"Steve & Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Don't know if someone living in SA commenting on this is what you're looking for,
    > but here goes.
    >
    > Haven't seen any of the negative comments either - maybe just as well.
    >
    > This is a beautiful country, as I'm sure you know. With beautiful people. We have
    > gone through / come through some very dramatic changes - remarkably gently (which
    > many people forget!). We have major problems to deal with - high unemployment and
    > crime (often interlinked) are possibly the ones most people are familiar with. A
    > somewhat disconcerting official view on the recent Zimbabwe elections, although
    > there appears to be some merit in our president's "softly softly" approach. A
    > disastrous official approach to the huge AIDS pandemic. An absolute inability to
    > win international sports matches - particularly against Australia. The thorny issue
    > of affirmative action to counteract the legacy of apartheid. A destructively
    > negative attitude by many of the local whites - AND the many who have left and need
    > to justify their action.
    >
    > BUT - we have the most broadminded constitution in the world. We have a strong,
    > independent Constitutional Court. We have an economy which is, given our position
    > as an emerging economy, doing quite well. We are one of the fastest - growing
    > tourist destinations - a huge potential economically! We have some of the finest
    > weather and wine in the world.
    >
    > I am proud to live here. I am happy living here. Yes, there are problems, but if we
    > are prepared to work on those we can influnce and be positive, there is a great
    > future here!!
    >
    > I include below extracts from an article written by one Ross Chowles, which
    > appeared in a local magazine a while ago:
    >
    >
    >
    > "Africanitus is a disease that affects mainly the white and well-to-do population
    > of South Africa. It affects the way in which we view the world - the way in which
    > we view our country. We accept problems in Europe and America as the norm, but we
    > are intolerant of them here. For instance, workers at Johannesburg International
    > Airport staged a one-day baggage strike and all I heard was comments like:"Third
    > World country, what do you expect?" The response was viscious.
    >
    > However, France had a 3-week baggage strike at Charles de Gaulle Airport just
    > before the Soccer World Cup. What did we say? Nothing! Last winter, England was
    > paralysed by strike action. What did we say? Nothing, not a word.
    >
    > Since the democratic government came to power in 1994, South Africa has had fewer
    > strikes than when the Nats were in, but we're so intolerant in South Africa that we
    > always look for the negative aspects. We moan about the petrol price, but in France
    > it's 8 Francs - almost R8 - per litre.
    >
    > We have a great country filled with wonderful, exciting and interesting people. And
    > yes, we have a great government. Of course there is corruption, but are you going
    > to tell me that the old government was not corrupt? There are a lot of farms in
    > South America that are linked to the old government. At least the corruption is,
    > for the most part, now exposed.
    >
    > South Africa has become a land of opportunity. If you want to start a business, you
    > can. Yes, you might have to pay someone a bribe, but you can get going. Try
    > starting a new business in the First World. There is so much red tape, it's almost
    > impossible. Life is suffocating in First World countries. If you work hard here,
    > you can still lead a good life. Overseas, working hard is not enough. Yes, we are
    > the so-called Wild West. But the wild west is exciting.Who wants to watch movies
    > about safe, boring Switzerland? South Africa is going through the Industrial
    > Revolution that England went through 200 years ago, not to mention the IT
    > revolution and social transformation!

You are delusional. Economies grew and improved during the Ind Rev. SOuth Africa's
economy is sinking. I guess the drugs must be good there.

> We have the best, or should I say most liberal, constitution in the world.

> In my career in advertising, we engage a lot of research, and what is interesting
    > is that the view from Constantia is negative, but from Gugulethu things are looking
    > up. Life is better and there are signs of a growing middle class. We see the shack
    > from outside and we are negative, but when you see the inside of the shack, you see
    > a home filled with furniture , appliances and hope.
    >
    > Yes, crime is rife. I've just come back from spending time in Canada, and let me
    > tell you, Canadians may be safe, but they are dead inside. Here, you may die
    > violently tomorrow, but today you are alive - really alive.

Everyone wants to live in a war zone.

> During World War Two, more people fell in love, there were more inventions and
    > people really lived because they never knew if the next day would be their last.

25 to 30 million people died in WW2 - it was wonderful (in your mind).

> If you promised me an exchange rate of R1 to the Pound to have the old government
    > back, I would reject your offer. I never want the old South Africa back. The old
    > government was so Calvinist that you couldn't buy toilet paper on a Sunday.
    >
    > We lived with total censorship, constant propoganda, suppression of negative
    > comments against the apartheid government and forced military conscription. We were
    > isolated on the social and sport fronts.
    >
    > In my opinion, the ANC is the best government we've had so far.

The Nazis liked Hitler too until he led them down the path of destruction. SA =
Zimbabwe in about 3 years or less.

Yes, they
    > can be better, and yes, they've made some mistakes, but not as many and not as
    > large as the ones the Nats made.

Old Apr 12th 2002, 2:40 pm
Dave Patterson

Hi there.. I responded (positively) to your original posting. Today, I see your
comments about an interest in the Cape area.

Your map will show Somerset West just east of Capetown. We rented this house last
Sept. for about 3 weeks: http://homepages.compuserve.de/hrz200/holiday_home.html Work
your way through the links and you can find a page where Arno lists his rates and
dates of availability. We were there off-season, so it was 55 Euros a day. Really
comfortable.

His representative there is also a co-owner of one of the real estate agencies:
Marjie Blanckenberg [email protected]

Here's a website for the local paper there: http://news24.co.za/Helderberg/

It is beautiful, safe.. and by most western standards, quite inexpensive. Arno's
house would cost about 50K British pounds.. maybe a little more.. but many lovely
homes are available there for that amount. Townhouses.. even new one.. are even less.

This is not Marjie's realty company, but it is a great place to see homes and the
prices asked: http://www.pamgolding.co.za/property/index.html

Just work your way through the: Western Cape Boland & Winelands Somerset West (or
Stellenbosch, etc.)

To figure out the price (to you) divide the Rand by 16.. that will tell you price
in pounds.

Thought this might be interesting to you Dave Patterson

TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--