Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Your reasons for choosing Portugal

Your reasons for choosing Portugal

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

MochaFiona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your reasons for choosing Portugal

I am surprised to find that housing in Portugal is not inexpensive or expensive compared to Spain. I would be interested to know whether any of you have considered Spain before moving to Portugal. If so, why did you choose Portugal over Spain?
Many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your reasons for choosing Portugal

Berlimey! Where do I start?

We thought of Spain, Portugal, France, Italy. All places we'd visited.

For some reason, I felt much happier and more welcome in Portugal. I first came here when I was 15, Spain when I was 13.

We have lived in the East Algarve and are now in the Baixo Alentejo and love our life here. we're lucky in that we are retired, have - just - enough money in the bank top keep us going, grow our own veg, and, to be honest, we wouldn't be anywhere else.

We like the climate, the people (my brother lives in Spain, also in the middle of nowhere) It's just a sense of being and enjoying. If that makes any sense. We feel happy here.

Last edited by ouriquejan; Jan 3rd 2019 at 8:48 pm. Reason: Forgot where I live :D :D
Old Jan 4th 2019, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly.... I think getting opinions and views like you are doing is a great start.

As to why, more pleasant climate, the people's attitude, the feeling towards foreign immigration , the tax, the financial stability of the country,

I say this as someone who has lived in Spain in 3 periods of my life. Enjoyed and have great friends there but was always left in no doubt that I was tolerated as a visitor and would never be thoroughly part of the community.
However I'm sure there are others on the Spanish forum saying the exact opposite!
Old Jan 4th 2019, 6:49 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK it's freezing, here in the Algarve another sunny warm day, no miles of traffic queuing on motorways and main roads.
Good enough reasons for us.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MochaFiona
I am surprised to find that housing in Portugal is not inexpensive or expensive compared to Spain. I would be interested to know whether any of you have considered Spain before moving to Portugal. If so, why did you choose Portugal over Spain?
Many thanks in advance!
It just depends where and what type of property really. I was looking at Portugal first and in our case it was cheaper to buy in Spain, or let's say we found a better urban plot of land within our budget. The cheaper urban plots in Portugal were very far from the coast, or not in areas we liked. I must say that I didn't want to spend more than 30K, so it's all relative. I like both countries, but looked at overall location value rather than the specific country + as it's only more an investment/holiday home, I wanted to be near the Med rather than the Atlantic (I have that here:-). I would be happy in both countries depending on location.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for yor responses! They are very helpful and valuable
Old Jan 4th 2019, 12:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MochaFiona
Many thanks for yor responses! They are very helpful and valuable
I learned Castillian at school, so spent a lot of time in the south of Spain (where my Castillian was of limited use....) and Cantabria, finally spending several weeks over Christmas just outside Malaga. I liked it, but it always felt "foreign". Then, shortly after, I met my now-wife in London and was introduced to the Portuguese experience. From my first day in Portugal, I loved it - and particularly the Alentejo. The food is great, the wine is great, the way of life is great - and the people..... it feels like home. The Portuguese are probably the most welcoming people I have ever met - and if you make the effort to join with them, you are welcomed with open arms.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

What he said but far more eloquently than I managed!
Old Jan 4th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Macliam.

Having lived for 10 years in the East Algarve and only three here, we are more part of the family here than we ever were in the Algarve.

Walk into the local bar and everyone greets you and also try and buy you a drink.

Also love sharing the constipada - which we get every year.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone! Your comments are very encouraging.

I currently don't speak Portuguese although I fully intend to learn it. Unfortunately, I am not such a quick learner :-(

Do you speak Portuguese? Will I have a lot of difficulties initially? What has been your experience?
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

I can only speak for myself......

I have a grand total of 11 Portuguese words so far.
It's a hindrance in the fact that it's embarrassing, however I find that my ineptitude is actually a great ice breaker as most locals laugh hysterically at my butchering of their language and go out of their way to help me because of my ability to come across "sounding like a dumb child" (their words)
Their patience and consideration is a virtue!

Yes I too also struggle with languages so I expect to be able to read a menu in a few years!
Old Jan 4th 2019, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give both sides of the discussion I actually find the Portuguese quite rude and in line with most people in the world, i.e. they smile when they are taking your money.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 8:02 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad

I have a grand total of 11 Portuguese words so far.
It's a hindrance in the fact that it's embarrassing, however I find that my ineptitude is actually a great ice breaker as most locals laugh hysterically at my butchering of their language and go out of their way to help me because of my ability to come across "sounding like a dumb child" (their words)
Their patience and consideration is a virtue!

Yes I too also struggle with languages so I expect to be able to read a menu in a few years!
I have made some progress, I am told that my Portuguese is terrible but my accent is not bad.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad

I hope you don't get too hungry whilst work out what to order!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

EMR.... unfortunately even my English accent is bad!

Bill.... thankfully I do great farmyard animal impressions so normally manage to order something edible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.