Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

X Ray or other imaging : Quickest way to get ?

X Ray or other imaging : Quickest way to get ?

Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:18 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default X Ray or other imaging : Quickest way to get ?

Without going into all the details, I find myself in the Eastern Algarve, supposedly for two months, but needing an X ray of my groin ( dull ache is the symptom - am hoping for reassurance it's not Big C ...)

I say X Ray but maybe there is a better imaging process, scan / contrast dye whatever.

I am not resident in Portugal and not registered with any GP practice : can anyone suggest the simplest way to get this done ? A specific medical centre which people have experience of ? Any idea of cost ? ( I have med insurance which may cover a % of the cost ).
Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Default Re: X Ray or other imaging : Quickest way to get ?

Contact HPA, private but have units all over, We use them, just had CAT scan and yltrasound.
https://www.grupohpa.com/en/hospital/speciality-search/
Old Aug 30th 2023, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by riv
Without going into all the details, I find myself in the Eastern Algarve, supposedly for two months, but needing an X ray of my groin ( dull ache is the symptom - am hoping for reassurance it's not Big C ...)

I say X Ray but maybe there is a better imaging process, scan / contrast dye whatever.

I am not resident in Portugal and not registered with any GP practice : can anyone suggest the simplest way to get this done ? A specific medical centre which people have experience of ? Any idea of cost ? ( I have med insurance which may cover a % of the cost ).
I think Tavira is the best place to go if you're near there, I think they accept tourists and will refer you to something called Radis in Tavira. I don't know if you'll have to pay or not. There's also something called Tavi clinica in Tavira which you do have to pay for. I don't know if there is anything further west.

The Tavira Health centre is from 3 o clock onwards, you take a ticket in the main building they only allow 16 in, so the guy there said. Prepare for a wait.

Last edited by bons; Aug 30th 2023 at 8:30 am.
Old Aug 30th 2023, 12:48 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'd have any joy going to the public health system for diagnosis / analysis as a non-resident. You could be treated in a public facility in an emergency situation but not, as far as I'm aware, for anything else.

I'd have thought the place to start with something like this would be a private GP consultation for an initial examination and referral elsewhere, with requests for the appropriate imaging if necessary. Maybe there's a clinic (like Sunseeker1st suggests) which would do the lot but generally the imaging places just do that, rather than any sort of primary consultation work.
Old Aug 30th 2023, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I don't think you'd have any joy going to the public health system for diagnosis / analysis as a non-resident. You could be treated in a public facility in an emergency situation but not, as far as I'm aware, for anything else.

I'd have thought the place to start with something like this would be a private GP consultation for an initial examination and referral elsewhere, with requests for the appropriate imaging if necessary. Maybe there's a clinic (like Sunseeker1st suggests) which would do the lot but generally the imaging places just do that, rather than any sort of primary consultation work.
Spot on Red Eric. This is also my experience.