Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Would like to spend a year in portugal

Would like to spend a year in portugal

Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all
Default Would like to spend a year in portugal

Hi, all I would like to spend a year in Portugal doing a document?
- What would be the requirements
- Living north of the city (North West)
- And what type of Visa would I need.

And a Hi to Bevs

Thank you Eddy
Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would like to spend a year in portugal

Hi Eddy, long time no see! I can't help with Portugal, but the good people here might need a bit more clarification from you.

What do you mean by 'a document', and when you say 'city' do you mean Lisbon? The people on the Portuagal forum are very helpful so you'll get some good info. Best of luck with your plans!
Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can spend up to 90 days in Portugal without a visa

Beyond that you'll need some sort of residency/investment visa

What does doing a document mean?

The Embassy of Portugal to the USA has the following website:

https://washingtondc.embaixadaportug...sa-information

Portugal offers several investment visas - Google Portugal investment visa and loads of sites come up.

Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Hi Guys thanks for the reply… I would not live in the cities s .. but outside and as for an investment Visa not at the moment .. I would like to go there first abd foremost for a couple of
Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Guys thanks for the reply and yes, missed you all, I would not live in the cities, but outside and as for an investment Visa , not at the moment .. I would like to go there first and foremost for a couple of weeks comeback and then make my plans .. for a long stay,
Old Jun 1st 2021, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As said.... you can visit for up to 90 days without a visa.

Think providing this info is moot anyway as per this website you cannot fly from USA to Portugal without an NIE (national interest exception) i.e no tourism. ?

https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Jun 1st 2021, 6:51 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Portugal offers several investment visas - Google Portugal investment visa and loads of sites come up.
Hi Eddy, and welcome to the Portugal forum from me

In that link above, have a look at the National Visa section and the Temporary Stay within that, to sort out which might be the best fit for you. On the right hand panel from there, there's also a Necessary Documentation section.

Once you've read that lot, come back if there's anything that's unclear from the information you read, or anything you might like to know about things in general here.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by goins
Hi, all I would like to spend a year in Portugal doing a document?
- What would be the requirements
- Living north of the city (North West)
- And what type of Visa would I need.

And a Hi to Bevs

Thank you Eddy
If you are living off your own income (i.e. not employed), then maybe a D7 visa would be suitable:

D7 Residence VISA for foreigners | Portuguese Nationality (portuguese-nationality.com)
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Eddy - your plan to come over to get things sorted, then go back to the USA fits in with the requirement (AFAIK) to have accommodation (rental agreement will do) set up before you apply for your visa, and the visa has to be applied for in person in your "normal" place of residence - ie USA, cannot do it in Portugal (except in very exceptional circumstances).
Only there is the problem of Covid restrictions in travel ...
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Sorry and Good morning I checked and researched and to my understanding 90 no visa ( would Like to stay bound that )

A documentary on the cities people (photography
- I als would be able to sustain my self through out . I won’t be doing this right away but before next summer

Eventually living there retired
Old Jun 1st 2021, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by goins
Sorry and Good morning I checked and researched and to my understanding 90 no visa ( would Like to stay bound that )

A documentary on the cities people (photography
- I als would be able to sustain my self through out . I won’t be doing this right away but before next summer

Eventually living there retired

So no returning to UK to live with wife....?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Eric...Ty friend much appreciated. I am from Toronto, Canada reason for all this is the weather ...done with the cold and willing to give it all up for what i like to do and to live in a warmer country..and to what i love to do..which is Photography as in the street. scenes ..
Thanks Eric..