Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Worldwide travel insurance

Worldwide travel insurance

Old Jul 1st 2021, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worldwide travel insurance

I know it may not be the best of times to be considering this, but I want to look forward to better times, and consider complementing health insurance.

I understand that when you have a UK state pension you can apply for a GHIC and this would cover you in Europe (I'm mainly concerned with the medical cover).
If you go outside Europe,are multiple trip annual policies, and single trip policies, both available, as in the UK?

Is there any age limit to the policies in Portugal?
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

travelfar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worldwide travel insurance

Trailfinders in UK may be able to help. Previously one did not need to be UK resident to buy their travel insurance policies. Not sure if this is still the case, but may be worth a call.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
I know it may not be the best of times to be considering this, but I want to look forward to better times, and consider complementing health insurance.

I understand that when you have a UK state pension you can apply for a GHIC and this would cover you in Europe (I'm mainly concerned with the medical cover).
If you go outside Europe,are multiple trip annual policies, and single trip policies, both available, as in the UK?

Is there any age limit to the policies in Portugal?
I looked at AFPOP MEDAL for insurance which included some travel when considering Portugal health with residence. I believe the age limit is 70.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelfar
Trailfinders in UK may be able to help. Previously one did not need to be UK resident to buy their travel insurance policies. Not sure if this is still the case, but may be worth a call.
That mey be an option, but I wanted to make it complement Portuguese health insurance, so was looking for what was available in Portugal first.

I looked at AFPOP MEDAL for insurance which included some travel when considering Portugal health with residence. I believe the age limit is 70.
Yes, I noticed that. It seems useful as it covers trips up to 60 days, but it was difficult to see what the limitations were.
They also have a policy specifically for travel, but it was expensive (over 300 euros per annum IIRC).
Old Sep 19th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

okteleseguros has some options, but annoyingly they want you to enter all the countries and dates so that they can give you specific quotes. So perhaps better used on a "per holiday" basis than an annual policy. I guess Portugal does not have huge numbers of people taking multiple foreign holidays a year, so it's a fairly small market

globelink seemed like a better option for me - covers residents of any EU country (or UK), much more the kind of comprehensive annual policy I'm used to

BTW, if you have a Portuguese social security number it's quite easy to get a Portuguese EHIC (though it's not worth the pain of getting an SS just for this!)
Old Sep 21st 2021, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
okteleseguros has some options, but annoyingly they want you to enter all the countries and dates so that they can give you specific quotes. So perhaps better used on a "per holiday" basis than an annual policy. I guess Portugal does not have huge numbers of people taking multiple foreign holidays a year, so it's a fairly small market

globelink seemed like a better option for me - covers residents of any EU country (or UK), much more the kind of comprehensive annual policy I'm used to

BTW, if you have a Portuguese social security number it's quite easy to get a Portuguese EHIC (though it's not worth the pain of getting an SS just for this!)
How do I get one of those EHIC things? I have an SS number
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/servicos...guranca-social

Several options, depending on whether you prefer online or offline. I did it online through the Segurança Social Direta portal

If you didn't already register on this portal then that's the first step - only tricky problem I had with this was that when it asked me to put in my citizen card or national id number I put in my passport number and it went "No, wrong!", scratched my head for a while and then decided to try the number of my residence certificate instead - success!

Once you can login, just select Doença, Obter Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença (Chrome/Google Translate also works OK on the site if/when needed!) and they just post it out to you - in theory in a few days, think it took about 2 or 3 weeks for me
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.seg-social.pt/pedido-car...-seguro-doenca
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was denied a Portuguese EHIC when I applied in 2019.
Now, I believe, UK residents of Portugal have to apply for the UK GHIC, though I haven't looked into the details of this.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was denied a Portuguese EHIC when I applied in 2019.
Now, I believe, UK residents of Portugal have to apply for the UK GHIC, though I haven't looked into the details of this.
Strange, the requirements for a Portuguese EHIC are quite clear and simple, if you have a SNS and a NISS you should get one

You might also be entitled to a UK GHIC and/or a UK EHIC, but there's (surprise!) a complete confusing mess of qualifying criteria
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nce-card-ghic/
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:31 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
How do I get one of those EHIC things? I have an SS number
In your case, as you have a S1 from the UK which you registered / should have registered in Portugal, you apply to the UK for a EHIC card.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strange, the requirements for a Portuguese EHIC are quite clear and simple, if you have a SNS and a NISS you should get one

You might also be entitled to a UK GHIC and/or a UK EHIC, but there's (surprise!) a complete confusing mess of qualifying criteria
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nce-card-ghic/
There were a number of posts a couple of years ago saying that the SNS was sufficient to obtain the card.
However, a number of offices were rejecting claims.

From your link, it appears that many people will be eligible for both cards.
Is there any advantage to having the UK GHIC rather than the EHIC?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:41 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's even better than that - a SNS number alone is enough. Which is good because quite a few people won't be able to get a NISS but can be enrolled in the SNS.

BUT if you're in receipt of a state pension from elsewhere in the EU, or the UK, and none from Portugal, you get and register a S1 form and apply to the state paying your pension for EHIC cover.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:43 pm
Polished expat

From your link, it appears that many people will be eligible for both cards.
No, you can't be eligible for both.

It's one or the other.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
No, you can't be eligible for both.

It's one or the other.
The pitfalls of the English language!

Which would be best;
eligible for both cards (but can only possess one)
or
eligible for either card

The second doesn't sound quite right, but the first looks clumsy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.