Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Why so many Brits preferred Spain over Portugal?

Why so many Brits preferred Spain over Portugal?

Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why so many Brits preferred Spain over Portugal?

If my memory serves me well there are less than 40 thousand Brits in Portugal and about one million in Spain. Why so many Brits preferred Spain over Portugal?
OK, Portugal is smaller in area and population than Spain, but not 25 times smaller.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why so many Brits preferred Spain over Portugal?

Originally Posted by Ultramarine
If my memory serves me well there are less than 40 thousand Brits in Portugal and about one million in Spain. Why so many Brits preferred Spain over Portugal?
OK, Portugal is smaller in area and population than Spain, but not 25 times smaller.

Maybe get a better response from the Spain forum?
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

There is a huge price difference when you want to buy a house at walking distance from the beach. Spain is cheap.
An independant villa with private pool at 500 meters from the Mediterranean will cost in Spain around 200.000 / 250.000 EUR.
What do you get for that price in the Algarve?

For the rest prices in the supermarket, alcohol and petrol is really cheaper in Spain. So I understand.

We own a house in Spain and in Portugal and we notice these differences.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hm... Wages in Portugal are weaker than in Spain, less expats arrive there than to Spain yet properties and food are more expensive. What are the reasons for that?
Old Jun 13th 2020, 12:45 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ultramarine
To err is human.

Looking on the bright side though, that does bring certain advantages for those of us who made the right decision.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

If you go into the stats deeper the areas with the biggest concentration that Brits infest are the "resorts" in both countries and the numbers per area are . probably similar in both countries. The rest of both countries is a vastness of fewer Brits. Given that the "resort" areas of Spain are possibly 20 times that of the concentrated spots of the Algave and as the majority of cheepo flights and package hotels were traditionally Spain's costas and the wide boys in the resorts started enticing customers since the 60s it's not that surprising.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleio
If you go into the stats deeper the areas with the biggest concentration that Brits infest are the "resorts" in both countries and the numbers per area are . probably similar in both countries. The rest of both countries is a vastness of fewer Brits. Given that the "resort" areas of Spain are possibly 20 times that of the concentrated spots of the Algave and as the majority of cheepo flights and package hotels were traditionally Spain's costas and the wide boys in the resorts started enticing customers since the 60s it's not that surprising.
Good point and the OP also posted in Spain forum. If you look at figures, the North of Spain hardly has any Brits either compared to Algarve.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would really like to think that you've made a typo in this post and you meant 'invest' rather than 'infest' .If not I think you should really question your motivation for being on this Forum as it's meant for assisting British Expats to settle and live nicely in a new country.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlgarveAndy
I would really like to think that you've made a typo in this post and you meant 'invest' rather than 'infest' .If not I think you should really question your motivation for being on this Forum as it's meant for assisting British Expats to settle and live nicely in a new country.
100% agree Andy, made me wince reading it.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlgarveAndy
OK

Sorry GOD i didn't realise I was not permitted to express an opinion without your permission. I'll not post on this forum again.
Goodbye

Last edited by coleio; Jun 13th 2020 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

OK

Sorry GOD i didn't realise I was not permitted to express an opinion without your permission. I'll not post on this forum again.
Goodbye
Hi coleio INFEST is absolutely correct,
Well expressed
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

OK folks, enough is enough. Either it was a simple typo or it was an opinion it does not matter.

I am happy to leave this thread open for sensible communication but if it continues down this route I will be forced to close it.

Rosemary
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the higher proportion of Brits in Spain than Portugal might also be that for quite some time, Spain had much more relaxed planning laws.