Why Portugal??

Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:32 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Portugal??

I'd be really interested as to why you chose Portugal over everywhere else - such as Spain for example?

I appreciate that everyone's reasons may well differ but I'd be interested nonetheless.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Portugal??

I fell in love with a Portuguesa.....otherwise I would still be freezing my bollocks off in scotland
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:59 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derbyflan
I'd be really interested as to why you chose Portugal over everywhere else - such as Spain for example?

I appreciate that everyone's reasons may well differ but I'd be interested nonetheless.
Its not for everyone!!!
I love it,I like Spain for an odd trip away,but couldnt live there,it just doesnt feel "right" for me.I was in Madrid recemtly,and noticed how unfriendly everyone was,ok I know its a big city,but it really struck me,as I am used to people being very friendly over here.
And I hate spanish food
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

its just a great place....i have spent time in most of the countries in Europe over the years.....and Portugal has allways come out on top.

a fantastic place to live, very friendly people, great climate, good cost of living, easy to get to and from, mostly unspoilt countryside, not over developed. easy language to learn...well ok, you have to have something to challenge you..
Old May 28th 2007, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

onemorething is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I fell in love with a Portuguesa.....otherwise I would still be freezing my bollocks off in scotland
Old May 28th 2007, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by omostra06
its just a great place....i have spent time in most of the countries in Europe over the years.....and Portugal has allways come out on top.

a fantastic place to live, very friendly people, great climate, good cost of living, easy to get to and from, mostly unspoilt countryside, not over developed. easy language to learn...well ok, you have to have something to challenge you..
Old May 28th 2007, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I didn't realize your better half was a native. Whereabouts do you live ged?

Far north I assume from what cleri said the other day
Old May 28th 2007, 7:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I didn't realize your better half was a native. Whereabouts do you live ged?

Far north I assume from what cleri said the other day
Hes a kilt wearing Amarante dweller
Old May 28th 2007, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hes a kilt wearing Amarante dweller
Oh gawd, then I can't associate with him. He's a tripeiro

Actually, I'm surprised he's even picking up the language up there! I can't even understand them half the time!
Old May 29th 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

First post I think.

I have never been to Spain so I can't comment about that. But Portugal is beautiful, the people are fantastic, the property is affordable and they are on the same time zone as the UK which means working with UK businesses is much simpler.

Thanks
Sarah
Old May 29th 2007, 3:34 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Why Portugal??

Spain is a bit too much like little Britain in the sun for my liking.

The Portuguese are friendlier and more relaxed. My personal perception is that property prices are a bit lower in Portugal as is the cost of living. I have also been told that the build quality is better in Portugal as the developers aren't in quite such a hurry to sling the properties together to make a quick profit.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

maniac is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Portugal and not Spain ? A question that is quite easy for me to answer as I've been living now for almost 5 years in Spain and I'm planning to move to Portugal beginning of next year.

1. Portugals people are much more friendly and hospitable than the Spanish.
2. Portugals Atlantic is far more stunning than the dirty Mediterranean bathtub.
3. Portugals beaches are not overcrowded with drunken red-headed British or German low-budget pricks.
4. Portugal offers good apartments & houses for a reasonable price whereas Spain has extremely high rents for bad quality flats.
5. Portugals food is great - Spainish food sucks.
6. Portugal has wildlife (dolphins, whales, turtles....) - Spains wildlife consists of cockroaches and pigeons mainly.
7. Portugal is a cleaner country than Spain.
8. Portugal has not so many nationalists - Spain offers harcore Catalan nationalists, Basque Country with ETA and a lot of nationalist retards.
9. Portugals national sport is not torturing animals like the Spanish do with their bullfights.
10. And finally I think that Fado is better than Flamenco.

I know that these are personal experiences which not all of you might share but I have lived long enough in Spain and travelled often enough to Portugal to say soon bye-bye Spain and hello Portugal.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:44 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Why Portugal??

Hi Maniac

Succinctly put - I agree on all counts
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

3. Portugals beaches are not overcrowded with drunken red-headed British or German low-budget pricks
Yet.

9. Portugals national sport is not torturing animals like the Spanish do with their bullfights.
You do realize that bullfighting is very big in Portugal too?

10. And finally I think that Fado is better than Flamenco.
One is vocal. One is dance. Can't compare the two.

As to the rest of the list, I agree. Especially about the food.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi when we were looking we also looked over the border as 3 siblings live in Spain, but when being shown round the estate agent said that in Spain there is a saying "to be as polite as the Portuguese" that sums it up.

Have been to Spain many times and not impressed, try to get someone in Seville to come out and speak anything but their native language, almost as arrogant as us Brits! OB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.