Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Why is fiscal number required so often?

Why is fiscal number required so often?

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default Why is fiscal number required so often?

Not being critical in any way - just really curious as to why so many day to day transactions require a FN. I appreciate many citizens share common names but to get a car MOT? Or is some one pulling my leg?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Why is fiscal number required so often?

Can't remember the last time I used my fiscal card and for a MOT you only need your car registration document.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is fiscal number required so often?

I think they ask for the FN for a matriculation test but not for ordinary MOT tests....... or at least, that´s been my experience.

More generally, I think the reason they ask so often is they want to try to keep track of what you´re buying in relation to what income you're declaring.

As with most places in the world, Big Brother is watching!
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of retail transactions now require it by law; furniture purchases for instance.
The Portuguese tax office is trying to ensure the VAT gets paid.
Also it helps them convict tax dodgers; every transaction where the fiscal number is used is submitted to a central database. If your purchases exceed your stated income you'll have some explaining to do.

It is very Orwellian.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

and yet no one complains about living in the uk and having a National Ins No along with an NHS number

here in andalucia we can book our gp appts online and part of the booking procedure is to provide the NIE (FN) and the INSS (NHS) numbers along with dob to double check the sign in.

surely FN is just a way of identifying the individual, although when I was younger we didn't have numbers because we all knew each other.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:13 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If you want aon official receipt for anythng ( Factura ) then you need to give your fiscal details.
We recently had a mnor accdent ( not our fault ) the GNR asked for my passport, I dd not have t wth me but I did have my fiiscal card.
I think this saved me from getting a fine as they could check my identity on the system if needed
Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

robcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond repute

We have fiscal numbers for our Portuguese house but live in UK. How do you obtain a fiscal card? Is it only for PT residents?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by robcarolyn
We have fiscal numbers for our Portuguese house but live in UK. How do you obtain a fiscal card? Is it only for PT residents?
We obtained ours from the Camera in the same situation as yourselves.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robcarolyn
Not just for residents. If you own anything (house, car, etc) in PT you will have a NIF number. Maybe your lawyer obtained yours? If so I suspect they will have your card.
Your lawyer may also be listed as your fiscal representative for which they will charge a fee!
Your PT Will will be based around your NIF number as your house is registered against it.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Melissajrg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Not being critical in any way - just really curious as to why so many day to day transactions require a FN. I appreciate many citizens share common names but to get a car MOT? Or is some one pulling my leg?
The reason they ask for your NIF is because you might want to claim for the tax back. You're entitled to claim tax back on hair dressers services, car and motorbike repairs and restaurant invoices at the end of the financial year. If you were self employed, depending on what you do, maybe more. Me and my husband log it in online on the financas website. When you claim your taxes at the end of the year certain things will be deductible
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

Not big brother just the reasons presented by Melissajrg and EMR.

You can buy using your birthday´s check from grand-mother...no one business
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

sorry double post

Last edited by Troia; Oct 1st 2013 at 1:12 pm.