Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

white stuff at the base of door frames...??

Wikiposts

white stuff at the base of door frames...??

Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

masterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant future
Smile white stuff at the base of door frames...??

Hi there...

Im hoping you wont think im ""too daft""!...but here goes!

we have recently viewed some new build houses in the Tavira area, that have been constructed for approx 1 year......
a couple of the houses had on several door frames, at floor level.....white stuff from floor up approx 2-3inches.....
when we asked the agent...she said " she would get back to us.." we are still waiting... when we asked the builder he said " ah,,,,nothing...just settling in""?!
Being a Joiner...Im concerned it may be woodworm or something like that...but havent seen anything like it before...? It looked a bit "dampish..."
has anyone out there the answer...??!

cheers
H
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of
Default Re: white stuff at the base of door frames...??

Originally Posted by masterjoiner
Hi there...

Im hoping you wont think im ""too daft""!...but here goes!

we have recently viewed some new build houses in the Tavira area, that have been constructed for approx 1 year......
a couple of the houses had on several door frames, at floor level.....white stuff from floor up approx 2-3inches.....
when we asked the agent...she said " she would get back to us.." we are still waiting... when we asked the builder he said " ah,,,,nothing...just settling in""?!
Being a Joiner...Im concerned it may be woodworm or something like that...but havent seen anything like it before...? It looked a bit "dampish..."
has anyone out there the answer...??!

cheers
H
Did you touch it to see if it would rub off? Were the skirting boards made of wood or tiles?
It could be dried damp coming up from the floor, but I would have to see it first.
Joao
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:00 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Joao
Did you touch it to see if it would rub off? Were the skirting boards made of wood or tiles?
It could be dried damp coming up from the floor, but I would have to see it first.
Joao
It might be efforescence - that salts coming out, by evaporation, from the clay blocks or the internal render. If you lick it it should taste salty. Why it should come at floor level and internally I don't know. It usually occurs in the UK on new external brickwork but not in all cases. It depends where the clay came from for the bricks.
In any case there's not much you can do except clean it off and gradually over time it'll disappear.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

masterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant futuremasterjoiner has a brilliant future

hi & thanks

I tried rubbing it...but it didnt rub off...

I didnt lick it!! haha..will try next time..

The floors were tiled........

H