British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Where to go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/where-go-565475/)

jasonthehypnotist Oct 6th 2008 12:51 pm

Where to go

OK all serious time now! when I lived in the canaries as for renting property it was easier to go in spanish bars and ask around for apartments to rent would you recommend the same? I would prefer out of resort location within reach of them all though. I'm thinking of starting too look in Silves whats it like as a location or would others be recommended. Also do I need resident permit to buy a car and do you see plenty of cheap ole bangers around.

Many thanks
Jason

PubChampion Oct 6th 2008 1:14 pm

Re: Where to go

Originally Posted by jasonthehypnotist (Post 6849210)
do I need resident permit to buy a car

I didn't need one to buy mine. I did need my Numero de Contribuinte, but that's very easy to obtain.

do you see plenty of cheap ole bangers around

No lack of old bangers but the prices will send you into a trance. They are so stupidly expensive that I ended up buying a new car, something I've never done before.

jasonthehypnotist Oct 6th 2008 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by PubChampion (Post 6849268)
I didn't need one to buy mine. I did need my Numero de Contribuinte, but that's very easy to obtain.

No lack of old bangers but the prices will send you into a trance. They are so stupidly expensive that I ended up buying a new car, something I've never done before.

perhaps i should bring one over i can keep it six months I think before it needs rid of?

PubChampion Oct 6th 2008 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jasonthehypnotist (Post 6849281)
perhaps i should bring one over i can keep it six months I think before it needs rid of?

Correct. You won't be able to sell it though other than to sucatas (scrappers). I got 400 euros for my old banger.

steppitoe Oct 7th 2008 10:07 am

We sold our left hand drive UK reg car through ebay and the buyer collected.

It appears to be much easier to matriculate cars in other European countries so it still had a value.:)

gazz Oct 7th 2008 11:03 am

OK all serious time now! when I lived in the canaries as for renting property it was easier to go in spanish bars and ask around for apartments to rent would you recommend the same? I would prefer out of resort location within reach of them all though. I'm thinking of starting too look in Silves whats it like as a location or would others be recommended. Also do I need resident permit to buy a car and do you see plenty of cheap ole bangers around.

Many thanks
Jason

Silves is a very historic area and certainly in no way a "Resort", depends on what you are after, there are plenty of bars there to go in and ask about rentals:thumbup:

jasonthehypnotist Oct 7th 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by steppitoe (Post 6851956)
We sold our left hand drive UK reg car through ebay and the buyer collected.

It appears to be much easier to matriculate cars in other European countries so it still had a value.:)

thanks on that one guys n girls! Ive made the decision to bring mine over (now I just hope it makes it lol).

jasonthehypnotist Oct 7th 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by gazz (Post 6852113)
Silves is a very historic area and certainly in no way a "Resort", depends on what you are after, there are plenty of bars there to go in and ask about rentals:thumbup:

Thanks for that fella.