British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Where to get Kingspan type insulation & birch ply? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/where-get-kingspan-type-insulation-birch-ply-906444/)

samsurplus Dec 1st 2017 4:16 pm

Where to get Kingspan type insulation & birch ply?

Hi all :)
I am trying to find somewhere to get the Kingspan or Celotex type of insulation boards and the high grade birch or marine plywood or actually anywhere that stocks normal plywood of various thicknesses as only seem to be able to get 2 different thicknesses in the B&Q type stores.
I am based in Lagos but happy to travel if I am told a stockist, Faro maybe even Lisbon.
I have tried searching online but drawn a blank. Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

liveaboard Dec 2nd 2017 7:38 am

Re: Where to get Kingspan type insulation & birch ply?

There's a lumber dealer just outside Lagos who has [had] a variety of plywood.
I don't remember the name of the place, but if you put these numbers into google search you'll get a map with the location; N37.125849 W8.670554

Near Aljezur is a German owned shop that imports wood and material regularly, and will order for you is you need enough, and have time to wait.
Frank Lehman

I've also bought wood from Globaldis in Guia, they're a lumber wholesaler.
I also use a place in Sao Teotonio, competitive prices but too far from you unless you're looking for a large quantity.

I'm not familiar with the insulation you're referring to. Insulation choice is a bit thin here as far as I can tell.

007Steve Dec 2nd 2017 7:49 am

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12392821)

I'm not familiar with the insulation you're referring to. Insulation choice is a bit thin here as far as I can tell.

True liveaboard..
Samsurplus, I'm not sure Kingspan did supply anyone outside Trade in the UK... only via their own contractors; - re- their product Guarantee. You may have to find an alternative product.

samsurplus Dec 2nd 2017 12:02 pm

It doesn't have to actually be Kingspan or Celotex just that kind of insulation board!

samsurplus Dec 2nd 2017 12:02 pm

I don't remember the name of the place, but if you put these numbers into google search you'll get a map with the location; N37.125849 W8.670554

Near Aljezur is a German owned shop that imports wood and material regularly, and will order for you is you need enough, and have time to wait.
Frank Lehman

I've also bought wood from Globaldis in Guia, they're a lumber wholesaler.
I also use a place in Sao Teotonio, competitive prices but too far from you unless you're looking for a large quantity.

Thank you :-)

rollermum83 Dec 2nd 2017 12:41 pm

There is a great Wood yard at Sao bras at the old mushroom factory .. Also sells various insulation.

RichardHenshall Dec 2nd 2017 2:33 pm

I don't remember the name of the place, but if you put these numbers into google search you'll get a map with the location; N37.125849 W8.670554 ...

I suspect that is/was Carpintaria Lacobrigense but I'm not sure if they're still operating.

samsurplus Dec 2nd 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by rollermum83 (Post 12392899)
There is a great Wood yard at Sao bras at the old mushroom factory .. Also sells various insulation.

Thank you :)

samsurplus Dec 2nd 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12392936)
I suspect that is/was Carpintaria Lacobrigense but I'm not sure if they're still operating.

Ok well I'll try and find out but thanks for the heads up :)

RichardHenshall Dec 2nd 2017 4:28 pm

While you're in that neck of the woods, Raminhos & Raminhos should be able to provide a good suggestion for local sources for both products.

samsurplus Dec 2nd 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12392991)
While you're in that neck of the woods, Raminhos & Raminhos should be able to provide a good suggestion for local sources for both products.

liveaboard Dec 9th 2017 7:06 am

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12392936)

I was there a couple of days ago, they're still there but have contracted a bit. They probably have less stock than they used to.