Reload this Page >

Where on earth do i start.

Where on earth do i start.

Old May 1st 2016, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

gazjan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where on earth do i start.

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
We were lucky in that we bought a a house that is only 14 years old and built to a very very high standard..

Only been here 4 months, but already we can feel the difference in the outside and inside temps - and we have two woodburners too.

Look at different areas - we bought in the Algarve 12 years ago, thinking the family would prefer it and so would see more of them.

Not a hope.

So now, this is for us. We're having a pool put in, we have 3 acres of land - most of it being looked after by a lovely young farmer and we're more than happy.

Look outside of what your thinking about - it sometimes works.
Thanks very much for your input,sound like you have got it made,shame about the family thing but think we would probably have the same thing lol
Old May 1st 2016, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
If you're on a limited budget, central heating may not be the best answer for you. Air conditioning units, which serve the dual purpose of cooling or heating might be worth considering instead and are cheap to run once installed, although admittedly you probably won't get the entire house toasty warm throughout with them.

A log burner in the lounge is always a nice feature, too but I like the option of having both.
Thanks for the input Eric,all been noted
Old May 1st 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazjan
Thanks very much for your input,sound like you have got it made,shame about the family thing but think we would probably have the same thing lol
Forgot to ask do you have central heating if so gas or wood pellet
Old May 1st 2016, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

No central heating, just very good iinsulated walls and roof as well as high spec windows.

It is b+ on the energy certificate, so we're more than happy to live without central heating.

We use wood for the wood-burners, but our neighbour swears by pellets. Each to their own.
Old May 1st 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

No central heating, just very good iinsulated walls and roof as well as high spec windows.

It is b+ on the energy certificate, so we're more than happy to live without central heating.

We use wood for the wood-burners, but our neighbour swears by pellets. Each to their own.
Thanks for that
Old May 1st 2016, 11:20 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Pellets are the fashion, but they are currently a by-product and cheap. Once everyone uses them the price will rise. Outside the cities, wood is a cheap and sustainable product ....... and likely to remain so.
Old May 1st 2016, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Pellets are the fashion, but they are currently a by-product and cheap. Once everyone uses them the price will rise. Outside the cities, wood is a cheap and sustainable product ....... and likely to remain so.
Bearing in mind that Portugal is covered in trees and (I'm told) produces more wood per km2 than anywhere else in the world and that there are wood pellet production factories with millions of Euros invested in them every few miles I reckon it's highly unlikely the price of pellets will ever get anywhere near that of electricity or gas etc.

FWIW, when we bought our place we had a wood burner linked to radiators but it was a constant PITA with feeding, cleaning & stock & eventually I got rid of it & replaced it with a wood pellet burning boiler and although expensive to buy, it's worth it's weight in gold. Pellets are available everywhere & it's the easiest thing in the world to clean & feed.

We also have a diesel boiler that is now used as a standby/emergency boiler but I've never had to use it in the 3 years since I installed the pellet boiler & it costs something like 5 or 6 times more to run than the pellet boiler.
Old May 1st 2016, 2:16 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Bearing in mind that Portugal is covered in trees and (I'm told) produces more wood per km2 than anywhere else in the world and that there are wood pellet production factories with millions of Euros invested in them every few miles I reckon it's highly unlikely the price of pellets will ever get anywhere near that of electricity or gas etc.

FWIW, when we bought our place we had a wood burner linked to radiators but it was a constant PITA with feeding, cleaning & stock & eventually I got rid of it & replaced it with a wood pellet burning boiler and although expensive to buy, it's worth it's weight in gold. Pellets are available everywhere & it's the easiest thing in the world to clean & feed.

We also have a diesel boiler that is now used as a standby/emergency boiler but I've never had to use it in the 3 years since I installed the pellet boiler & it costs something like 5 or 6 times more to run than the pellet boiler.
I think we're back to the generalization discussion! Come to the Alentejo and tell me about the trees and factories!

We burn Azinho and Estevas, you can get Eucalyptus if you beat off the bakers, but as for factories......... They are promoting pellet boilers all over Europe, so Portugal will go chasing an export market if demand rises - leaving the home consumer chasing a dwindling resource.
Old May 1st 2016, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I think we're back to the generalization discussion! Come to the Alentejo and tell me about the trees and factories!

We burn Azinho and Estevas, you can get Eucalyptus if you beat off the bakers, but as for factories......... They are promoting pellet boilers all over Europe, so Portugal will go chasing an export market if demand rises - leaving the home consumer chasing a dwindling resource.

Well excuse me for disagreeing......... whatever was I thinking! FFS.

I'll bet a pound to a pinch of the smelly brown stuff that the majority of supermarkets, builder's merchants & farming co-operatives in even the oh so different Alentejo stocks bags of wood pellets throughout the winter.

Please do let me know if you want me to submit my posts to you for clearance before I post them in the future. (rolleyes)

Last edited by mfesharne; May 1st 2016 at 2:42 pm.
Old May 1st 2016, 2:41 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

boys????
Old May 1st 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

They can just make more pellets...
Or you can have a heat store tank so you can use solar heat, and only need to burn on occasion.
There are high temperature, high efficiency wood burners that will do this very well. They're available in Germany and the Nordic countries.
It's even more expensive, but after that you can burn your own wood.
I plan to build one myself one of these days; there's a great design available from a US university project done in 1979.

These burners make a LOT of heat, you need a heat storage tank. 2 or 3 tons of water will do the job.

There is a lot of power in the Portuguese sun; I did a little experiment. On the day of the winter solstice, I put a black aluminum plate in an insulated box with a single sheet of glass on top.
The plate got to 105C.
Old May 1st 2016, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

So guys what is it to be.Gas,wood pellets or oil for central heating,or just a ******* great central wood burner??
Old May 1st 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you buy,.

We have a 14 year old 3 storey house on the caost and had an inset woodburner put in - and air-con in one bedroom, which we'd brought with us.

the house got mouldy each winter - green out the back, as no sun. Himself spent every winter, with a long pole, using bleach on the inside and bleach on the tops of the outside walls.

And yes, we ventilated as much as we could,. But seeing our neighbours (Portuguese) houses, they seemed to be okay with all the black mould.

There's an awful lot to think about, wherever you buy.
Old May 1st 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Depends on what you buy,.

We have a 14 year old 3 storey house on the caost and had an inset woodburner put in - and air-con in one bedroom, which we'd brought with us.

the house got mouldy each winter - green out the back, as no sun. Himself spent every winter, with a long pole, using bleach on the inside and bleach on the tops of the outside walls.

And yes, we ventilated as much as we could,. But seeing our neighbours (Portuguese) houses, they seemed to be okay with all the black mould.

There's an awful lot to think about, wherever you buy.
im persuming here that although only being 14 years old it has no insulation otherwise there would be no mould.
Old May 1st 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Mould problems here are usually caused by inadequate insulation combined with inadequate ventilation.
Of course if you have a leaky roof, that will do it too.
I solved the problem at our house by installing a heat-recovery ventilation system. I insulated the ceilings too, but really the walls should be done as well.
The air stays fresh with minimal heat loss in winter. Mould still occurs behind cupboards and things. I insulated the backs of the cupboards [including the kitchen]. This works very well.

Gas & oil are so expensive now that there's no point installing either.
For convenience, electric [there are various energy saving systems to spend your money on].
For economy, wood.
Pellets are a happy medium; I'm not using it and don't plan to, but I have to say that I've talked to a lot of people who've installed pellet burners and they're all happy with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.