Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to buy on the silver coast

Where is the best place to buy on the silver coast

Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:00 am
Banned

Prodigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where is the best place to buy on the silver coast

Originally Posted by johnh009
Hello, I am currently living and working in Canada, I have been thinking of buying a place in Central Portugal and saw your post. Can you recommend an area in Central Portugal. Coimbra seems quite interesting?

Any comments welcome - positive or negative.

Thanks

John
Bom dia John.

Bem vindo a esta "thread"! I would love to give some some pointers but it would be easier to know what you are looking for (beach, mountain, city, small vilage)?

Coimbra is a very traditional portuguese town. The only negatives are distance from coast and airports...

As a rule, I would try to find something on the coast or left of the IC1.

Boa sorte!..
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:14 am
Banned

Prodigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crispygirl
The house I have seen is in the same area, well when I say same area I quickly add it is loosely up there in the region of the new golf course (have to add that or Prodigal will have something to say about it). The house is on the market for 80,000 euros and we plan to spend about another 100,000 on it, this is not to make us a grand profit if and when we sell but to give us the house we want to be comfortable in. A large chunk of that money is to make sure we are self sufficient regards to electricity/heating and not forgetting the top of the range kitchen that I have seen I have to agree with you the lagoon and beach is beautiful, oh dear I am getting Portugal withdrawal symptoms I had better go and pour my self a large port.
Bom dia crocantezinha! (sounds funny in portuguese!)

I just want to say that with 100,000 you can build a new 3 bedroom villa! But I most certainly wish you all the best in your portuguese adventure.

Ate mais logo!..
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

Buying a property that you love and then restoring it to a high standard as your own home, will have the happy benifit of adding value anyway, so if you do up your own house well you should still have a good investment.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:44 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by omostra06
Buying a property that you love and then restoring it to a high standard as your own home, will have the happy benifit of adding value anyway, so if you do up your own house well you should still have a good investment.

Thanks omostra06, I'm sure we will add some value, I'm getting a little excited I have to keep bringing my self back down to Spanish soil. We had a phone call from an agent that we last spoke to in April and he asked if we were still on the market ( after all he is our agent, should he have to ask)Said we were, he said "good, I have had a phone call from a couple in the Uk that have seen the house on the net and they are very interested in having a look at it. They are not coming to Spain for another two weeks but I will ring back then"

I know it is like p*ssing in the wind but as we have only had one other viewing in 6 months I am beginning to let myself start planning the move, must stop it as you can waste so much energy doing this....and I need all mine for just getting up in the morning
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where is the best place to buy on the silver coast

have to agreee with russel on foz do arhelo, its beautiful and unspoilt, but not isolated.
have been told its easier to new build rather than restore old buildings as planning is very strict on how they are restored, maybe this explains why a lot of ruins are available and snapped up mostly from jolly foreigners?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by billybob
have to agreee with russel on foz do arhelo, its beautiful and unspoilt, but not isolated.
have been told its easier to new build rather than restore old buildings as planning is very strict on how they are restored, maybe this explains why a lot of ruins are available and snapped up mostly from jolly foreigners?
Ola billybob!

The west coast of the Algarve down to Burgau is protected and new build is virtually impossible. Yes, restorations must be according to very specific rules which means using a local architect with influence with the planning to get things approved (if at all:curse within a reasonable time.

Boa sorte para todos!..
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:55 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Prodigal son
Ola billybob!

The west coast of the Algarve down to Burgau is protected and new build is virtually impossible. Yes, restorations must be according to very specific rules which means using a local architect with influence with the planning to get things approved (if at all:curse within a reasonable time.

Boa sorte para todos!..
West coast.............protected?????????
Well thats where i lived HA! I didnt notice any
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:27 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Ola billybob!

Boa sorte para todos!..

Hi Prod you seem to know a lot so may be you can help me.

The house we are looking at is not a ruin it has been empty for about 6 years, it has two floor i.e downstairs and up stairs, we have been told by a local agent that we can do what we want to the inside, knock whatever walls we want out as the structure of the building is support by the four corners. We will hire an architect to draw all the plans up as we plan big changes for the inside. Is this so or will we need planning permission for this.

Anything we want to do to the outside we will need planning permission for, at the moment the house has a small balcony upstairs, we want to extend this over the front door making an open porch with columns supporting the larger balcony. Dig the front garden out and make parking areas, at the back of the house put folding doors up to enclose the back porch, add a pool and convert the two brick built out houses into 2x1 bedrooms apartments, and terrace the back of the garden. Oh and also put new windows in.

Will I need planning permission for the whole lot or just for the outside. The outbuilding were once used for living but that was a good few years ago.

Also going with Solar panels, geothermal heating and maybe a windmill -planning permission?

Ta
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi Prod you seem to know a lot so may be you can help me.

The house we are looking at is not a ruin it has been empty for about 6 years, it has two floor i.e downstairs and up stairs, we have been told by a local agent that we can do what we want to the inside, knock whatever walls we want out as the structure of the building is support by the four corners. We will hire an architect to draw all the plans up as we plan big changes for the inside. Is this so or will we need planning permission for this.

Anything we want to do to the outside we will need planning permission for, at the moment the house has a small balcony upstairs, we want to extend this over the front door making an open porch with columns supporting the larger balcony. Dig the front garden out and make parking areas, at the back of the house put folding doors up to enclose the back porch, add a pool and convert the two brick built out houses into 2x1 bedrooms apartments, and terrace the back of the garden. Oh and also put new windows in.

Will I need planning permission for the whole lot or just for the outside. The outbuilding were once used for living but that was a good few years ago.

Also going with Solar panels, geothermal heating and maybe a windmill -planning permission?

Ta
Bly me!

In my view, you need a professional opinion (architect) and not the estate agent's say so. Each area has it's own rules and the right influence can make your project enjoyable (as opposed to a never ending nightmare at great cost:curse.

Find out the local respected architects, ask as many questions and request a quote for the services.

I hope this will help!
i wish I was there!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

The situation for planning is that all (major) changes inside or outside do require permission from the local camara, but in reality not many people ask for permission to change anything on the inside, as the council dont know whats in there anyway and are unlikely to see the end result after the changes.
The changes to the outside will require consent from the camara, the level of the works will determine if you just need a license or a full blown project complete with architects drawings, stabillity report, speciality projects for water, gas,electric, and structual engineering plans. showing all changes.
if the work requires a project for the conversion of the other buildings (they will as they are having a change of use) and the changes to the terrace etc then you have the opertunity to put all changes inside and out onto the same project, this way all the work/changes you do will all be legal and passed by the camara, thus avoiding any problems later if you come to sell.

Each camara seem to be different, so the best advise i can offer is get some ideas together and go speak to the planning dept. of your local council. they will soon tell you what is required for the outside works.

One way to avoid doing a full project is to do a little bit at a time, speak to the camara to get permission for small parts of the total works, a bit at a time. this will take longer but you could still end up with a fully legal building without spending a couple of thousand on an architect and engineer.

If you are doing a full project be prepared to wait, it can take months and in some cases up to a year to gain full permission and get your license of works.

our own project to rebuild and alter our farmhouse took over one year from handing it in to the camara to getting our license. 15 months in total if you count the time with the architect before we submitted the plans.

Its quicker, easier and cheaper to avoid a full project, but it all depends on what the camara say and the amount of work/ changes you plan.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cleri
West coast.............protected?????????
Well thats where i lived HA! I didnt notice any
Hi Cleri!

It is called Costa Vicentina and as you understand portuguese, read this:
"A criação da Área de Paisagem Protegida do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina, pelo Decreto-Lei n.° 241/88, de 7 de Julho, correspondeu à necessidade de defender na área do seu território os inestimáveis valores naturais, paisagísticos e culturais, unanimemente reconhecidos pelas Câmaras Municipais de Sines, Odemira, Aljezur e Vila do Bispo."

Sempre a aprender!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:08 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cleri!

It is called Costa Vicentina and as you understand portuguese, read this:
"A criação da Área de Paisagem Protegida do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina, pelo Decreto-Lei n.° 241/88, de 7 de Julho, correspondeu à necessidade de defender na área do seu território os inestimáveis valores naturais, paisagísticos e culturais, unanimemente reconhecidos pelas Câmaras Municipais de Sines, Odemira, Aljezur e Vila do Bispo."

Sempre a aprender!
Yes but thats bollocks.
There is currently in VdT alone probably 1500 houses,the projection for the next 10 years is well over 4000,without infrastructure i might add!!!!!
The restrictions are that they cant build huge apt buildings,but thats about it.Yes its a national park,but it doesnt stop them and it never will do whilst they have hundreds of brits with money to spend.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cleri
Yes but thats bollocks.
There is currently in VdT alone probably 1500 houses,the projection for the next 10 years is well over 4000,without infrastructure i might add!!!!!
The restrictions are that they cant build huge apt buildings,but thats about it.Yes its a national park,but it doesnt stop them and it never will do whilst they have hundreds of brits with money to spend.
You know best! Is that why you left VdT? In the next 5 years you'll be moving to Papua New Guinea!?