Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What If UK Abandons The EU?

What If UK Abandons The EU?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What If UK Abandons The EU?

Originally Posted by sir recorder
It's not a question about unhappiness, but rather far more about dissatisfaction with the status quo, and the right to express that dissatisfaction, and to outline and discuss the reasons for it.

When things are going right, there's no point really to criticise or praise them. If things are right that is how it should be. When things are going right, silence is the modus operandi. However when things are going wrong, which they are and badly so, everyone who perceives that should stand up and make their case.

Brits are utterly dissatisfied and disillusioned with the EU, that is why they will probably vote for leaving it. That will have a knock on effect in PT. Whilst UK is inside the EU investing in overseas homes and properties this is seen by many as the same as investing in the domestic market, or at least investing with less risk than putting their money outside the EU.

But that has proved in reality not to be the case. The losses within the EU property market have been highly significant. Brits are disillusioned with their overseas property investments, and are asking themselves what are the advantages of belonging to the EU. None as far as I can see. Membership of the EU was a kind of ticket for an added security of investment. If UK is outside the EU its citizens will no longer benefit from that, so there's no special or real point in investing in places like PT.
You ignored my other post then?

We'll have to agree to disagree because I look at the big picture. I come from an industry that dealt with the EU and its advantages and disadvantages. I know that people invest in property all over the world where its not the EU ... and they dont care. I know people are unhappy in all countries ... it's life.

And I know for a fact that you cannot factually say that most Brits are dissatisfied and disillusioned with the EU because the polls that have been taken over the last months show different.

Time will tell
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:47 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You ignored my other post then?

We'll have to agree to disagree because I look at the big picture. I come from an industry that dealt with the EU and its advantages and disadvantages. I know that people invest in property all over the world where its not the EU ... and they dont care. I know people are unhappy in all countries ... it's life.

And I know for a fact that you cannot factually say that most Brits are dissatisfied and disillusioned with the EU because the polls that have been taken over the last months show different.

Time will tell
I am not alone in these views

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...onment-with-EU

William Hague to warn of British disillusionment with EU

http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...nt-with-the-eu
European Elections 2009: Rising Disillusionment with the EU

http://theconversation.edu.au/uk-bus...ferendum-11783
His concern was that deep disillusionment with the EU was at “an all-time high”.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...increases.html

UK Independence Party support hits all-time high of 15% as anti-EU sentiment among voters increases.

But my question was what if the UK leaves the EU? What then?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:58 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not alone in these views

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...onment-with-EU

William Hague to warn of British disillusionment with EU

http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...nt-with-the-eu
European Elections 2009: Rising Disillusionment with the EU

http://theconversation.edu.au/uk-bus...ferendum-11783
His concern was that deep disillusionment with the EU was at “an all-time high”.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...increases.html

UK Independence Party support hits all-time high of 15% as anti-EU sentiment among voters increases.

But my question was what if the UK leaves the EU? What then?
Peoples opinions, and some of them being well known anti EU individuals opinions. Polls are the grass roots, not people like William Hague who has no idea of what the man on the street thinks!

But the original point was What if the UK Abandons the EU, and Ive already answered that with my opinion in the post you ignored
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:22 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

UK credit rating cut.

Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it SR, what comments do you have on the UK now being regarding as a " sick " economy !!!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

UK credit rating cut.

Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it SR, what comments do you have on the UK now being regarding as a " sick " economy !!!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:47 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EMR
UK credit rating cut.

OK, Portugal's credit rating BB - Outlook = negative

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._credit_rating

Which economy is really a basket case?

Oh, and by the way, if Brits cannot obtain credit or will be having to pay more for it, they will NOT buy in PT. Stands to reason!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:56 pm
Senior Moment

OK, Portugal's credit rating BB - Outlook = negative

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._credit_rating

Which economy is really a basket case?

Oh, and by the way, if Brits cannot obtain credit or will be having to pay more for it, they will NOT buy in PT. Stands to reason!
Errrrr ... I think you misunderstand. Britains AAA credit rating relates to the countries ability to gain credit and the rates they pay .... It has little effect on an individuals ability to gain credit and absolutely no bearing whatsoever on them buying in Portugal.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:48 pm
EMR
Banned

You have to excuse SR he lives in a different world to the rest of us.
I wondered what extraordinary slant of fact SR would come up with.

The US also had its credit rating reduced, US borrowing rates have NOT increased and the US economy is in fact ahead of the UK and EU in its recovery.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by EMR
You have to excuse SR he lives in a different world to the rest of us.
I wondered what extraordinary slant of fact SR would come up with.

The US also had its credit rating reduced, US borrowing rates have NOT increased and the US economy is in fact ahead of the UK and EU in its recovery.
The US are paying less now in interest with a lower credit rating than they were before
The same people that reduced their credit rating also reinforced the credit rating of some mortgage companies in the US that subsequently failed dismally in the "crisis"
So much for experts
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:08 am
Banned

The US are paying less now in interest with a lower credit rating than they were before
If people are paying less for something it is because they are now earning less, much less than they would have done before in the same jobs. Wages and salaries have actually dropped in real and actual value. It is only the super-rich who have benefitted in the past 20 years.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:20 am
EMR
Banned

No lack of agreement there I doubt that the rise in food and fuel prices is discussed around the dinner tables in Esher and its neighbouring areas with their rapidly rising property prices and low council tax.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:41 am
Senior Moment

If people are paying less for something it is because they are now earning less, much less than they would have done before in the same jobs. Wages and salaries have actually dropped in real and actual value. It is only the super-rich who have benefitted in the past 20 years.
To be fair, I can see the reasoning in some of your posts, but that is just downright silly

I repeat, and I hope you understand this. When I say "they are paying less" I am referring to the Government of the USA paying less even though the countries cred rating was reduced from AAA. The same with the UK. AA1 from AAA means that the UK Government may pay more. I am not talking about individuals. This has no bearing whatsoever on what individuals pay in interest, or indeed what they earn

I doubt the President of the United States of America or The Prime Minister of the UK are earning any less than they were before the credit rate reduction

Do you understand that the AAA credit rating is not something that applies to individuals?

In any case it has nothing to do with the original theme, and you still havent commented on my comments on the subject
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:53 pm
Banned

To be fair, I can see the reasoning in some of your posts, but that is just downright silly

I repeat, and I hope you understand this. When I say "they are paying less" I am referring to the Government of the USA paying less even though the countries cred rating was reduced from AAA. The same with the UK. AA1 from AAA means that the UK Government may pay more. I am not talking about individuals. This has no bearing whatsoever on what individuals pay in interest, or indeed what they earn

I doubt the President of the United States of America or The Prime Minister of the UK are earning any less than they were before the credit rate reduction

Do you understand that the AAA credit rating is not something that applies to individuals?

In any case it has nothing to do with the original theme, and you still havent commented on my comments on the subject
Oh Jeez, where did you learn your economics? With Mrs Smart, teacher of home economics in your primary school perhaps, along with how to hard boil eggs ?

If the government of a country (UK for example) has to pay more to borrow money, that means that the most creditworthy organisation in that country has to pay more. Individuals in that same country will generally have to pay more than the government of that country has to. Paying more to borrow money is called a "general interest rate rise", call it a rise in the general Bank Rate, if you like. Call it Minimum Lending Rate if you prefer. If the MLR rises then mortgage rates generally rise. They is always a kind of fixed relationship. If people are not given pay rises to compensate for this particular cost of living increase, the price of housing has to fall.

If this present economic situation and climate no one is increasing wages, ergo house prices will fall, have to fall to compensate. Thereare many people who have to sell. Executors of the wills of dead people generally are forced to sell houses to pay death duties. If buyers have to pay more for their mortgages, these kind of sales will now be for a price less than before.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:57 pm
Senior Moment

Oh Jeez, where did you learn your economics? With Mrs Smart, teacher of home economics in your primary school perhaps, along with how to hard boil eggs ?

If the government of a country (UK for example) has to pay more to borrow money, that means that the most creditworthy organisation in that country has to pay more. Individuals in that same country will generally have to pay more than the government of that country has to. Paying more to borrow money is called a "general interest rate rise", call it a rise in the general Bank Rate, if you like. Call it Minimum Lending Rate if you prefer. If the MLR rises then mortgage rates generally rise. They is always a kind of fixed relationship. If people are not given pay rises to compensate for this particular cost of living increase, the price of housing has to fall.

If this present economic situation and climate no one is increasing wages, ergo house prices will fall, have to fall to compensate. Thereare many people who have to sell. Executors of the wills of dead people generally are forced to sell houses to pay death duties. If buyers have to pay more for their mortgages, these kind of sales will now be for a price less than before.
Thanks for becoming abusive
You are clearly just too dim to actually discuss this with if you have to descend to that, so I wont bother any more because you clearly have a lack of understanding of how things really work! Doubtless you will tell us in a min ute that US credit ratings will affect the man in the street in Portugal
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:16 am
Banned

Thanks for becoming abusive
You are clearly just too dim to actually discuss this with if you have to descend to that, so I wont bother any more because you clearly have a lack of understanding of how things really work! Doubtless you will tell us in a min ute that US credit ratings will affect the man in the street in Portugal
Independent
Sean O'Grady: Any reduction in America's credit rating will affect every person on the planet
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...t-2329680.html

I am jolly glad that you are not in charge of running the planet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.