Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What If UK Abandons The EU?

What If UK Abandons The EU?

Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:48 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What If UK Abandons The EU?

THe EU was a economic community that emerged from the European Iron and steel agreements which in turn emerged from the Benelux, ( Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg ) economic grouping.
What then emerged where a common agricultural policy and a fisheries policy.
None of which have got anything to do with holiday homes,retirement homes etc.
What would be of much more concern to anyone with investments in Portugal would be if Portugal left the EU/Eurozone.
The UK,s departure if it ever happens which it won,t has absolutly nothing to do with the state of affairs in Portugal.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:55 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EMR
THe EU was a economic community that emerged from the European Iron and steel agreements which in turn emerged from the Benelux, ( Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg ) economic grouping.
What then emerged where a common agricultural policy and a fisheries policy.
None of which have got anything to do with holiday homes,retirement homes etc.
What would be of much more concern to anyone with investments in Portugal would be if Portugal left the EU/Eurozone.
The UK,s departure if it ever happens which it won,t has absolutly nothing to do with the state of affairs in Portugal.
Your vision and description of the EU and the reason for its existence offers nothing of common value to either the citizens of PT or UK. Where is the purpose of joint enterprise in this future? None, as far I can see. The common agricultural and fisheries policies have probably stripped the people of PT of their birthright, as they have done in the UK. Maybe PT will question why it belongs to an economic club which impoverishes it.

What then indeed if PT abandons the EU?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by sir recorder
Joining the EU was all about European countries sharing or wanting to share a common destiny, a common and shared economic future. Brits are generally disillusioned with that vision. Brits will look for better places to invest their pensions and retirement funds. PT has been living off the backs of these for the past decade. If UK is no longer a member of the EU what motivation have I or anyone lese in the UK to want to come to PT ever again. What special treatment can one expect? none of course! No advantage whatsoever.

No special healthcare, no real NHS, no bus passes, no benefits, higher taxes, etc. etc.. Brits originally came to PT because of its membership of the EU, in a mistaken belief that the EU was a real economic club, and that PT was cheap. All this is utterly false now.
You know this for a fact do you? How many UK citizens have you polled to justify your comments?

I think everyone probably has the message about PT you keep reiterating by now, so unless you have anything new to add, can you find a new subject to complain about. It's getting a bit tedious now.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Joining the EU was all about European countries sharing or wanting to share a common destiny, a common and shared economic future. Brits are generally disillusioned with that vision. Brits will look for better places to invest their pensions and retirement funds. PT has been living off the backs of these for the past decade. If UK is no longer a member of the EU what motivation have I or anyone lese in the UK to want to come to PT ever again. What special treatment can one expect? none of course! No advantage whatsoever.

No special healthcare, no real NHS, no bus passes, no benefits, higher taxes, etc. etc.. Brits originally came to PT because of its membership of the EU, in a mistaken belief that the EU was a real economic club, and that PT was cheap. All this is utterly false now.
I'm really sorry .... I just don't understand your argument here. The basis of the EU was free trade and economic union. Before the EU there was EFTA, with the same aims but scaled down. These things have very little to do with people choosing to go to Portugal on holiday, whether we are in the EU or not. People were still flooding to Spain and Portugal before the EU existed, and will continue to do so in the future whatever happens.

As regards LIVING in Portugal .... I'm not sure that will have an effect either. Look at this forum. Look at the number of members we have that live in NON EU countries under the same circumstances you describe and have been doing so for many many years
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm really sorry .... I just don't understand your argument here. The basis of the EU was free trade and economic union. Before the EU there was EFTA, with the same aims but scaled down. These things have very little to do with people choosing to go to Portugal on holiday, whether we are in the EU or not. People were still flooding to Spain and Portugal before the EU existed, and will continue to do so in the future whatever happens.

As regards LIVING in Portugal .... I'm not sure that will have an effect either. Look at this forum. Look at the number of members we have that live in NON EU countries under the same circumstances you describe and have been doing so for many many years
Your comments are proveable fact, unlike SR's, he just seems to have an axe to grind, whatever it is, only he knows.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:36 am
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

Idiom Definition for 'Misery guts'
A Misery Guts is a person who's always unhappy and tries to make others feel negative - guess who
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benny Dorm
A Misery Guts is a person who's always unhappy and tries to make others feel negative - guess who
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Originally Posted by Benny Dorm
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

So SR will no longer want to come to Portugal if the UK leaves the EU.

I have changed my vote from a no to Yes at least something good will come out of it.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:01 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bejaboz
Your comments are provable fact, unlike SR's, he just seems to have an axe to grind, whatever it is, only he knows.
I am not the only one who grinds axes

Review the following post about Spain

I Hate Spain

Every point in that post could apply to Portugal too.

But you have NOT commented on the central issue of this thread

"What if the UK abandons the EU?"

To say that "Nothing" would happen is unbelievably naive.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:16 pm
Banned

Despite what you say, the economic and political leaders of the EU have implied by their speeches and actions that if your country is not a member of the Eurozone, your country is not really a full and proper member of the EU.

Britain will never adopt the Euro: its membership of the EU is therefore in question. Most other countries in the Eurozone (and the EU) generally and genuinely want rid of the UK. Citizens in the UK will soon vote on this matter. Current polls put the No (Leave EU) vote way out on top. This will have an effect on the economy of Portugal, despite what you say.

There is no motivation for the UK to need to or want to stay within the EU.

The same must apply to those countries where maintaining membership within the Euro currency union is a white elephant.

Eurozone downturn and deficits to persist, Commission says
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21544328

It's all very depressing.

While Portugal and Greece maintain their membership within the Euro currency union, and try to make up for deficits via austerity measures, I argue that this makes their countries 25% more expensive for UK expat investors than they need to be. Better value for their money is to be had elsewhere.

That is a fact.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not the only one who grinds axes

Review the following post about Spain

I Hate Spain

Every point in that post could apply to Portugal too.

But you have NOT commented on the central issue of this thread

"What if the UK abandons the EU?"

To say that "Nothing" would happen is unbelievably naive.
My answer is I don't believe it will. I'm not naive, just more optimistic than you.

With regard to your comment about the Spanish forum, what's the point, are you just trying to deflect from your defeatism?

There are unhappy people everywhere.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Despite what you say, the economic and political leaders of the EU have implied by their speeches and actions that if your country is not a member of the Eurozone, your country is not really a full and proper member of the EU.

Britain will never adopt the Euro: its membership of the EU is therefore in question. Most other countries in the Eurozone (and the EU) generally and genuinely want rid of the UK. Citizens in the UK will soon vote on this matter. Current polls put the No (Leave EU) vote way out on top. This will have an effect on the economy of Portugal, despite what you say.

There is no motivation for the UK to need to or want to stay within the EU.

The same must apply to those countries where maintaining membership within the Euro currency union is a white elephant.

Eurozone downturn and deficits to persist, Commission says
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21544328

It's all very depressing.

While Portugal and Greece maintain their membership within the Euro currency union, and try to make up for deficits via austerity measures, I argue that this makes their countries 25% more expensive for UK expat investors than they need to be. Better value for their money is to be had elsewhere.

That is a fact.
Well of course Britain stands away from the EU in certain ways, such as the Eurozone and border control. I was simply replying to your thoughts on how it would effect Portugal

In reality, if the UK were to leave the EU it would have little or no effect on travel and living abroad. We already have a different currency, and I dont think that will ever change. That's our disadvantage because as the rates of exchange change then so can the competitiveness of some UK businesses in Europe. So nothing would change as regards that aspect of things, as there would not be any sudden implementation of duties .... we were already trading with no duties under EFTA, even with Switzerland who of course are not members of the EU (but you wouldnt know it!)

So the only possible real effect would be with businesses in the EU deciding to trade only with EU companies and dumping Brit companies. Thats possible, but of course unlikely if a good trading relationship has been going on for a time. Might be more difficult for new businesses to break in.

Borders? Well, we already have border controls as part of the EU as we never signed up to the Schengen Agreement. So we might have to show our passport when travelling Europe, but then again I have to do that from time to time anyway

And finally, to adress your link "I hate Spain"
Written by "a disillusioned Expat" ... well .. there are never any disillusioned Brits in the Uk are there

Crime:
Ive been here 7 years. Ive never been subject of any serious crime in that time, and I only know of one person who has. The Police are active, and yes there are burglaries down in the town, but then there are burglaries everywhere

Employment
" figured that with so many expats living in Spain that there must be a bundle of potential new business opportunities or companies looking for staff. I was so wrong!"

Why????? A Spanish company will employ a Spaniard first (quite rightly) and as unemployment is bad here, the writer obviously didnt do his research very well

Manana Ripped Off
Spanish workers are good, unless you employ a complete tosser for next to nothing. The only time I was screwed over was when I used a brit builder ... never since!
People who buy illegal properties, we usually find that they didnt employ a solicitor and left their brain at home in the wardrobe

I'll give it up at this point and just direct you to the reply to that article on your link

People should research places properly before they move abroad rather than walk in semi blindly like that writer did

So anyway, the above gives my views on the EU and what would happen if we walked away ....... which I dont think we will
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:31 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bejaboz
My answer is I don't believe it will. I'm not naive, just more optimistic than you.

With regard to your comment about the Spanish forum, what's the point, are you just trying to deflect from your defeatism?

There are unhappy people everywhere.
A very good point, which people need to understand
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:55 pm
Banned

A very good point, which people need to understand
It's not a question about unhappiness, but rather far more about dissatisfaction with the status quo, and the right to express that dissatisfaction, and to outline and discuss the reasons for it.

When things are going right, there's no point really to criticise or praise them. If things are right that is how it should be. When things are going right, silence is the modus operandi. However when things are going wrong, which they are and badly so, everyone who perceives that should stand up and make their case.

Brits are utterly dissatisfied and disillusioned with the EU, that is why they will probably vote for leaving it. That will have a knock on effect in PT. Whilst UK is inside the EU investing in overseas homes and properties this is seen by many as the same as investing in the domestic market, or at least investing with less risk than putting their money outside the EU.

But that has proved in reality not to be the case. The losses within the EU property market have been highly significant. Brits are disillusioned with their overseas property investments, and are asking themselves what are the advantages of belonging to the EU. None as far as I can see. Membership of the EU was a kind of ticket for an added security of investment. If UK is outside the EU its citizens will no longer benefit from that, so there's no special or real point in investing in places like PT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.