Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What If UK Abandons The EU?

What If UK Abandons The EU?

Old Feb 7th 2013, 3:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What If UK Abandons The EU?

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Rubbish
Norman Lamont .... he drew up a plan
Old Feb 7th 2013, 4:00 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Norman Lamont .... he drew up a plan
serious intent +Norman Lamont - are you having a giraffe. ERM yes Euro.....
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

if Lamont hadn't been kicked out of the ERM by the antics of George Soros culminating in Black Wednesday the Britain would be a member of the Euro now.
and perhaps have more say in what is happening.

but I suppose we could all blame it on De Gaulle not being given enough support and better offices in London during WWII and twice vetoing our entry into the European Project. After all it was only ever supposed to be to create friendliness and stop further European wars.

or is it because we won at Waterloo ? ?

Even the Romans never thought we were part of Gaul so why should we be part of Europe.

`
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:02 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by s5tuart
My prediction?
Britain (England at least) will remain in the EU but will not convert currency to the euro. EVER!
Scotland may eventually do their own thing, and Wales may follow but that is not pertinent at the moment.
If I'm wrong, burn me at the stake....if I'm right, call me Nostradamus.
Prepare yourself for the stake. Shrive your soul.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/18/uk-britain-eu-poll-idUKBRE91H0BE20130218

Just a third of Britons want to stay in European Union - poll

Only a third of Britons would vote to stay in the European Union in a proposed referendum, a poll showed on Monday, underlining the scale of Prime Minister David Cameron's task in persuading voters to back his flagship EU policy.

Just 33 percent of voters would support his call to remain in the bloc, with 50 percent wanting to leave and 17 percent not planning to vote, according to the Harris Interactive poll in the Financial Times.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:18 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

SR as usualu you ingnore the facts,
IF ( very big IF ) there is a referendum the turn out will be very low and those who want the UK to stay in the UK will vote and and all your Sun and Daily Star readers will stay at home.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by EMR
IF ( very big IF ) there is a referendum the turn out will be very low and those who want the UK to stay in the UK will vote and and all your Sun and Daily Star readers will stay at home.

Not sure if Reuter's sample is very large and across what section of the public. I tend not to consider poll results as being very accurate most of the time.

Does SR reside in PT or just lurk on this Forum casting doom and gloom?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:33 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EMR
You have zilch evidence for your point of view. And as usual, you haven't got a clue about what is happening in the UK.

People in the UK are generally Peed-off with the EU and all it stands for, and will vote for out.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:59 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry aren't you a huge fan of the EU you keep on and on and on about Portugal not following EU rules.

Which SR is posting the one in favour of the EU or the one who is not ???
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by EMR
Sorry aren't you a huge fan of the EU you keep on and on and on about Portugal not following EU rules.

Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir recorder
You have zilch evidence for your point of view. And as usual, you haven't got a clue about what is happening in the UK.

People in the UK are generally Peed-off with the EU and all it stands for, and will vote for out.
But I have, because I spent from August through January in the UK. The "man in the street" and general view seems to me that the Brits are not stupid when it comes to this issue, and will wish to stay in the EU with (hopefully) a few negotiated changes.

Leaving the EU would be national suicide I'm afraid now, and its not what the country needs in the current economic climate
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by EMR

Sorry, but perhaps you are having difficulty in reading.

The topic in this thread is about a majority of the citizens in the UK wanting to abandon the EU, and the consequences to expats and UK stakeholders in PT. You have not addressed this issue.

Whether I want UK to or not to leave the EU is not relevant.

Whether I personally am in favour or not so for the EU is not at issue in this thread.

I happen to think that if the UK were to abandon the EU this would have extremely serious consequences on the property market in PT, particularly seaside homes and apartments. Also PT would have fewer holiday makers from the UK.

I am also of the opinion that the EU has very much badly let its citizens down.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:38 pm
Senior Moment

Sorry, but perhaps you are having difficulty in reading.

The topic in this thread is about a majority of the citizens in the UK wanting to abandon the EU, and the consequences to expats and UK stakeholders in PT. You have not addressed this issue.

Whether I want UK to or not to leave the EU is not relevant.

Whether I personally am in favour or not so for the EU is not at issue in this thread.

I happen to think that if the UK were to abandon the EU this would have extremely serious consequences on the property market in PT, particularly seaside homes and apartments. Also PT would have fewer holiday makers from the UK.

I am also of the opinion that the EU has very much badly let its citizens down.
I'm not sure that the UK leaving the EU will have any effect on holiday makers from the UK ..... I see no logical reason why it should. I don't have problems travelling to any countries outside the EU, and apart from simple visas (which I doubt would apply to Portugal) there IS no issue
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:22 pm
Banned

I'm not sure that the UK leaving the EU will have any effect on holiday makers from the UK ..... I see no logical reason why it should. I don't have problems travelling to any countries outside the EU, and apart from simple visas (which I doubt would apply to Portugal) there IS no issue
I trust that my co-citizens of the UK are wiser in the spending of their money, or will become more so in the future.

If the future path for Portugal is high taxes, high VAT, expensive holidays, expensive holiday homes with no expectation of growth in their value, no guaranteed gain then Brits will desert PT in droves, both holiday makers and seaside owners. UK abandoning the EU would be symbolic of this desertion of Europe and its services. Brits will go instead to Dubai, Turkey, Egypt for their sunshine and summer holidays, or even as far as India. Brits have only been coming to PT in any numbers in recent years because of the price of Easyjet flights and the like. When one gets to PT, everything is vastly expensive, grossly over priced in my opinion. As the Euro climbs in value against the pound so my argument becomes stronger.

PT cannot really afford or give good value with an overpriced Euro. And do ask what will the EU really do for PT over the next 10 years? I am not convinced it benefits PT in any real way at all.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:33 pm
Senior Moment

I trust that my co-citizens of the UK are wiser in the spending of their money, or will become more so in the future.

If the future path for Portugal is high taxes, high VAT, expensive holidays, expensive holiday homes with no expectation of growth in their value, no guaranteed gain then Brits will desert PT in droves, both holiday makers and seaside owners. UK abandoning the EU would be symbolic of this desertion of Europe and its services. Brits will go instead to Dubai, Turkey, Egypt for their sunshine and summer holidays, or even as far as India. Brits have only been coming to PT in any numbers in recent years because of the price of Easyjet flights and the like. When one gets to PT, everything is vastly expensive, grossly over priced in my opinion. As the Euro climbs in value against the pound so my argument becomes stronger.

PT cannot really afford or give good value with an overpriced Euro. And do ask what will the EU really do for PT over the next 10 years? I am not convinced it benefits PT in any real way at all.
Yes for sure, Portugal can be expensive .... but what's all that got to do with the UK leaving the EU? If Portugal is expensive for holidays, it will be no more expensive if Britain leaves the EU ... and certainly no more expensive than going to India or Dubai on holiday. I'm confused. Its as if Britain leaving the EU will make everything else elsewhere more expensive. It wont. What it may well do is screw up the UK economy somewhat
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:53 pm
Banned

Yes for sure, Portugal can be expensive .... but what's all that got to do with the UK leaving the EU? If Portugal is expensive for holidays, it will be no more expensive if Britain leaves the EU ... and certainly no more expensive than going to India or Dubai on holiday. I'm confused. Its as if Britain leaving the EU will make everything else elsewhere more expensive. It wont. What it may well do is screw up the UK economy somewhat
Joining the EU was all about European countries sharing or wanting to share a common destiny, a common and shared economic future. Brits are generally disillusioned with that vision. Brits will look for better places to invest their pensions and retirement funds. PT has been living off the backs of these for the past decade. If UK is no longer a member of the EU what motivation have I or anyone lese in the UK to want to come to PT ever again. What special treatment can one expect? none of course! No advantage whatsoever.

No special healthcare, no real NHS, no bus passes, no benefits, higher taxes, etc. etc.. Brits originally came to PT because of its membership of the EU, in a mistaken belief that the EU was a real economic club, and that PT was cheap. All this is utterly false now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.