British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   What did you pay for private treatment? What about insurance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/what-did-you-pay-private-treatment-what-about-insurance-929868/)

Diddion Dec 17th 2019 11:53 am

What did you pay for private treatment? What about insurance?

This is the situation.

My wife and I, both Portuguese residents (with S1) have private insurance, which is coming up for renewal. As residents here, our understanding is that we have the same access to medical treatment, at the same costs, as Portuguese citizens. That being the case, the main potential use of insurance (as I see it) is if we wish to bring any treatment earlier. I know that there are sometimes long delays.

We can do so with Private insurance, which is a high, annual cost, or, alternatively, by direct payment at the time of need. So, to make an informed decision, we need to know the costs involved. Do you have any experience of payment for private treatment, especially for more major issues? Please give some idea of the costs incurred (pm if you prefer).

And any comments you have of insurance will be listened to. I would say TIA, but perhaps in the context of this question, I will give it a miss!

dingg Dec 17th 2019 1:04 pm

Re: What did you pay for private treatment? What about insurance?

I can't help with a cost basis per se, but having made lots of friends who have used the Portuguese health service for various ailments from kidney issues to major heart surgery eye lens replacement not to mention various bumps and scrapes broken bones etc.
Almost all have said the service they have received has been more than acceptable and probably better than UK NHS.
This is silver Coast area.

Hth

BillBullock Dec 17th 2019 2:51 pm

I had my prostate removed in December 2013 by the best surgeon in Portugal at a private hospital in Lisbon. He undertook keyhole surgery using the Da Vinci robot and I was playing tennis a month later, beating my brother-in-law to his great surprise. The total medical cost was €16,000; Allianz insurance company paid €8,000 but refused to pay for the robot which undoubtedly made all the difference to my recovery, so I paid the rest. The Medal insurance policy through AFPOP is recommended but is getting a little expensive nowadays.

qianh Dec 17th 2019 3:21 pm

Can S1 still be used after Brexit?

liveaboard Dec 17th 2019 5:38 pm

Down here in Algarve, private insurance has different benefits;
1; we have several large well equipped private hospitals
2; the public hospitals here are scandalously neglected and underfunded.
two articles about the Algarve health crisis;
https://www.portugalresident.com/man...eon-boycott-2/
https://www.portugalresident.com/cri...ot-even-worse/

But you live just 50km from Coimbra, which has really good public medical facilities.

There are situations where private insurance could save your life; it's not likely but it happens.
Other times it's about life quality. I had an object stuck in my finger joint that required surgery to remove. Another patient in my area on public insurance had an almost identical issue, and was told they wouldn't operate; life was not at risk, there was no disability, merely chronic pain.
I paid a hundred or so, I don't remember.

Individual stories can go on and on, everyone has a different experience. We think private health care is worth sacrificing for. Others think it's a waste of money.

Diddion Dec 17th 2019 5:51 pm

Liveaboard - was that hundred or so to have the procedure done privately, self-funded?

Pilou Dec 17th 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by BillBullock (Post 12779889)
I had my prostate removed in December 2013 by the best surgeon in Portugal at a private hospital in Lisbon. He undertook keyhole surgery using the Da Vinci robot and I was playing tennis a month later, beating my brother-in-law to his great surprise. The total medical cost was €16,000; Allianz insurance company paid €8,000 but refused to pay for the robot which undoubtedly made all the difference to my recovery, so I paid the rest. The Medal insurance policy through AFPOP is recommended but is getting a little expensive nowadays.

Was it Medal that refused to pay for the robot??

liveaboard Dec 17th 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Diddion (Post 12779959)
Liveaboard - was that hundred or so to have the procedure done privately, self-funded?

That was the co-pay; the operation was over 1,000 1,400 I think was the number.
This was outpatient, but I had full anesthesia, 2 surgeons, and a nurse.
It sounds like nothing, but it was right next to a tendon so any slip and the finger would be lost.
I don't remember numbers well.

For the first 50 years of my life I had no insurance at all; I once had knee reconstruction and the cost was equal to about 2 or 3 years of insurance, so my uninsured years worked out well financially.
That was risky, probably dumb.
Now we have double insurance, private and state.
Sometimes Alianze refused to pay for something and we appealed it through Medal, and they did pay.
So far.

We've had LOTS of scans and tests, appointments + consultations. Costs are marginal, tens or single euros. I had a MRI, no problem, short wait. MRI is amazing technology and in high demand.
Heart tests [this is really important for older people], all sorts of things.

It's not a question of whether you'll need health care, it's a question of when.

BillBullock Dec 17th 2019 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12779970)
Was it Medal that refused to pay for the robot??

It was Allianz who refused to pay for robotic surgery, even when the surgeon provided a robust reasoning for using Da Vinci, explaining how it helped him avoid damaging muscles, etc. My speedy recovery from the operation negated further care as there were no complications.

Diddion Dec 17th 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12779988)
That was the co-pay; the operation was over 1,000 1,400 I think was the number.
This was outpatient, but I had full anesthesia, 2 surgeons, and a nurse..

And this perfectly illustrates my dilemma. A payment of 1400 represents just 65% of a year’s insurance premium with Medal. I know that insurance can be critically important (indeed, I am lifetime ahead on house insurance premiums having had a 90,000 GBP claim on a house fire) but I am happy to use the health service if it will do the job.

GeniB Dec 18th 2019 6:04 am

My OH would be dead now if I hadn't had immediate access to a private hospital and all facilities, including bringing in a top surgeon from Lisbon to perform the life saving surgery at a minutes notice.. For me too.. ( altho juries questioning it at the moment ... see WPYOT post of mine ) I was 'blue lighted' one day to private hospital to undertake stent implants the following morning Couldn't fault my treatment .Cost under Allianz/ AFPOP deal was 8.000 for the OH's op...and 6,000 for mine .90% paid for by insurance. Insurance costs 1,000 euro's each per year. .For me its a question of security. and immediate access .. and yes we can afford it... We budget for it.
In the hospital reception area on Monday there was ( I think) a Swedish couple ,she needed to see a doctor but the receptionist could not accept the insurance card they offered ( language difficulties with English ) In the end she had to pay 50 euro's and hope it would be paid back on the card she had. .

Diddion Dec 18th 2019 6:21 am

I hope you are both fully recovered.
...but would you not have received similarly life-saving treatment as a Portuguese resident without the private insurance?

AliceCaroline Dec 19th 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by qianh (Post 12779911)

According to the Gov. UK website you're covered either way....

"Healthcare after Brexit.
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal and you are registered for healthcare based on your residency, your healthcare will be protected. If there’s no deal and you receive cover through the S1 form you will not lose access to healthcare. If there are no other arrangements between the UK and Portugal on the day the UK leaves the EU, you will be covered on the basis of your residency. This means your registration within the Portuguese National Health system will continue and you will not need to re-register"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...gal#healthcare

Thairetired2016 Dec 19th 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by qianh (Post 12779911)

Perhaps until end of transition period = Dec 2020.
All depends on what deal they strike, if they will agree on one.
Best to read the Portuguese text rather than Brit. Gov. one.
We found a discrepancy in Brit. link and Austrian gov. link.
Better compare the texts.

Diddion Dec 19th 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12780614)
We found a discrepancy in Brit. link and Austrian gov. link.
Better compare the texts.

Would you provide the links themselves, please?