Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

I'm off to Portugal next month. i usually go to spain and so use the same local car hire company there so don't have a clue where to start in Portugal so i'm hoping that some people could give me the names of cheap, reliable - with no hidden surprise costs - car hire that I can get from Faro airport.
Thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ma Ma Hen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

Auto Rent are very good. We have used them ourselves many times before we bought our car. You can collect at the airport or they also will deliver them to where you are staying.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:28 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap is relative, many have a low lead in price then charge you for extras like full ?? fuel tanks, deposits and daily charges for transponders if using the tolls, Insurance which does NOT cover you for simple things like tyres etc.

I would look at Algarve Driver.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Never had anything like that with auto rent. In relations to tolls they leave it up to you to pay toll charges.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ma Ma Hen
Never had anything like that with auto rent. In relations to tolls they leave it up to you to pay toll charges.
With Drive4fun you pay 20€ for transponder and tolls so no need to pay during your holiday.

Gold have had bad press of late.

We always used Luzcar as their standard of service is excellent and they do not try to sell you anything or inspect the car on your return. Have used them for nearly twenty years.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

loonytoon is an unknown quantity at this point

every time i have looked at renting from any company i have always found them to be dearer than through the agencies - i presume this because of block booking discounts that the agencies can get. i tend to use economycarhire as you can actually see which company you are renting from. i have used most of the small companies on P4 and found the least hassle with Lagorent & Drive4Fun. the only one i ever had any problems with was AirAuto who tried to give me a car with a buckled front wheel. travel rent were fine but very, very slow

jeff
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

LaineyM is an unknown quantity at this point

We have tried a few of the local companies at the airport over the last 18 months and would always go for Auto Rent. They have been very good with us and get to recognise you so checking in for car pick up is speedy!
If you own a property in the Algarve, you also get a 10% discount on your booking.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

I would certainly agree, we always found Auto Rent the best and most helpful.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

You might also consider AutoSeason, who offer a reliable, efficient and competitively priced hire with no hidden extras, fair fuel policy and your own choice about A22 tolls.

We've used them for 7 years and been extremely satisfied.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:48 am
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loonytoon
every time i have looked at renting from any company i have always found them to be dearer than through the agencies
I find the same.

With my experience of Avis last month, I'm going back to the small companies. I have just made a booking for 11 days in the spring, with a broker, for less than 90€ - the same deal through the rental company was 220€!

As for the OP's question, I wouldn't like to offer any advice with regard to the rental companies at Faro, because I've never had a problem with any of them. However, I would say make absolutely certain you know what you're getting in terms of the fuel policy and insurance. The full/empty fuel policy in Spain seems to have found its way across the border. Also, if using one of the small companies in Car Park 4 - be prepared! The car hire office is shared, and can be a bit confusing when it's busy.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by pdr
I find the same.

With my experience of Avis last month, I'm going back to the small companies. I have just made a booking for 11 days in the spring, with a broker, for less than 90€ - the same deal through the rental company was 220€!

As for the OP's question, I wouldn't like to offer any advice with regard to the rental companies at Faro, because I've never had a problem with any of them. However, I would say make absolutely certain you know what you're getting in terms of the fuel policy and insurance. The full/empty fuel policy in Spain seems to have found its way across the border. Also, if using one of the small companies in Car Park 4 - be prepared! The car hire office is shared, and can be a bit confusing when it's busy.
If you've booked in advance, our experience has always been a company representative meets you in arrivals. If people turn up and look to book at the Hire Office, then it seems to me, a big risk in to the unknown.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:25 pm
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bejaboz
If you've booked in advance, our experience has always been a company representative meets you in arrivals. If people turn up and look to book at the Hire Office, then it seems to me, a big risk in to the unknown.
I always book in advance - sometimes I'm met by the cafe, but other times I go straight to the car park. Here are the instructions for the car I've booked for the spring:

"Company information:
CLIENTS SHOULD PROCEED TO CAR PARK NUMBER P4 - SIGN POSTED FROM THE AIRPORT AS "PRE BOOKED RENT A CAR", WHERE THEY WILL BE MET BY A PAA REP." (Excuse CAPS, copied and pasted as is.)

What I have never had to do at Faro, is be bussed to the car hire office, but I know this sometimes happens. On my last visit to Lisbon I had to take a bus, and didn't really pay much attention to where the office was located - just glanced at the map when the rep pointed it out to me. Minor panic when I came off the motorway near the airport and realized I was in the wrong place, but found it in the end - but more by luck than judgement.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

1. Use Economy Car Hire

2. Create a login and log on to the site before searching for a car, then you can see which provider each quote is with.

3. Try to use Drive4Fun or Travelrent.

4. Get the top up insurance then you're liable for nothing.

Above method has worked for us for 30+ bookings in recent years, including two cars that have been taken back with damage...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newintavira
1. Use Economy Car Hire

2. Create a login and log on to the site before searching for a car, then you can see which provider each quote is with.

3. Try to use Drive4Fun or Travelrent.

4. Get the top up insurance then you're liable for nothing.

Above method has worked for us for 30+ bookings in recent years, including two cars that have been taken back with damage...
To each their own, whatever is best for the individual based on their experience.

We've used AutoSeason for 7 years, several times each year without a problem, always met at arrivals and price always competitive reflected by discount as regular customer, so OK for us.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:52 pm
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

Originally Posted by steppitoe
With Drive4fun you pay 20€ for transponder and tolls so no need to pay during your holiday.

Gold have had bad press of late.

We always used Luzcar as their standard of service is excellent and they do not try to sell you anything or inspect the car on your return. Have used them for nearly twenty years.
Another vote for Luzcar. Not used them much but have always been very happy with the service. www.luzcar.com
A flyer direct from the Lagos office yesterday shows Group A in Jan, Feb and Mar at 117€ per week and Group C at 170€ per week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.