Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

wanting to move to portugal.

wanting to move to portugal.

Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:10 am
Just Joined

leecmckeown is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down wanting to move to portugal.

Hi there,
this is my first time on here an I'm told this would be the best place to get advice on where to start as myself an family want to move to Portugal. I've not been looking into it long but no what we want an already I feel like I'm going around in circles! We've give our selves a two year plan so hoping to move in 2014. Were be selling our property in England an wanting to mortgage in Portugal.
Do i find a advogado first? Or a Portuguese estate agent? I really dont no where to start so any help would be great.

Many thanks lee.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanting to move to portugal.

You should find your property first, since you'll need a lawyer who works in that area. Just get your lawyer totally independently of your estate agent; I suggest you join afpop and ask them to recommend a lawyer.
You should also consider renting for a while first, if that can suit your needs.
Mortgage is very hard to get right now.
I'm assuming you have some means of generating income; because it's nearly imposable to do locally [unless you're in one of the cities and have some precious skill set]. Many have lost everything and then gone "home".
Other than economics, Portugal is great.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Leecmckeown

I agree with what Liveaboard says. What i would add is Portugal is a big country and has so much to offer. What i would say is compile a list of what you want and a list of what you don't want and use the Forum to get the answers to both question. With luck you may be able to avoid those things that would not make life just what you may want.

Also when you get answers that are of help either print of or save in your Bookmarks in Firefox or Favourites in IE.

Good luck

Peter
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:00 am
Just Joined

arqpatricio is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Leecmckeown,

As an architect I can help you in this matter.

I will be glad to give you some advices if needed.

To start, Peter and liveaboard are totally. First you should find the property. Some people choose to rent for some time in order to know better the region and to be sure they realy like it.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank u for your advice. The big question for me is, will I still b able to work in England but my family living in Portugal? I'm a lineman on the pylons an do want to end up doing the same thing in Portugal but as you no its pritty hard to find work at the present state of things. This is something we really want to do so me still working in England untill I can get work on the pylons in Portugal will do for us.
As there are kids involved, me an my partner no to look for schools then the areas, commuting. An withe the advice given, we no the nxt step would b property to rent in the chosen area.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

there are English language "international" schools in the areas popular with expats; several in the Algarve and around Lisbon. but they're expensive.
If you send your kids to local Portuguese school, it's free.
Of 2 expat kids I met who went to local schools, one loved it [he was only worried the girls would find out he wasn't a natural blond], and one hated it [bullying problems].

You job is highly specialized, and probably imposable without a good command of the language. Check carefully whether you'll be able to find work.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

There are so many questions I've got ask an hope they can be answered. Were looking for locations with regards to schooling first an were happy for the girls to go to a portuguese mainstream school. Hopefully if things go to plan the girls will be three an eight when we make the move. My biggest thing at the moment is the fact I wouldn't be working in Portugal at first, I work for an international company an will still be working in England, will we still b able to move to Portugal? Although I will be getting paid into an English account my money will be spent in Portugal, ie the house, shopping, tax's etc.
I'm thinking that il have to have a place to live before I can get a portuguese bank account, is this right? Then I can have wages paid into that account?? If wrong could someone advise me please

Many thanks. Lee.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by liveaboard
; I suggest you join afpop and ask them to recommend a lawyer.
Sorry but I am going to have to take issue with this, the whole point of these forums is so we can all help eachother out so I would think someone on here should be able to be suggested a lawyer without them having to pay X amount per year to this afpop crowd(who I would imagine would be pretty useless for anyone outside the Algarve). They would do what anyway, suggest a lawyer which would be recommended on what, that they are a good lawyer or they are scratching each others back?

To the OP, which part of Portugal??
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

The thing with afpop is that they are working for you; and they field a lot of complaints when people get in trouble with their lawyers. So they'll be likely to have an up to date idea of who's good. And if you're going to spend hundreds of thousands on a house and land, their membership fee is insignificant.

I used John Howells, but he went out of business; I see lots of requests, but few recommendations when it comes to Portuguese lawyers.

Just don't get a lawyer who is in any way connected to the property seller or the estate agent; not because they're necessarily dishonest, but because if they are, you won't find out until it's too late. Remember that the estate agent works for the seller, not the buyer.

Don't be shy, gedscottish, who do you use?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:15 am
Just Joined

borboleta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leecmckeown
As there are kids involved
I live in Algarve and here I know a lot of people from England, Germany, etc... and they have they're kids in public schools with no problems. Even Portuguese kids speack English with they're friends from other countries.
Internacional schools are no more a must.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

TELL is an unknown quantity at this point

Portugal can be a great place to live and many of us know that we would rather be mortage free and poorer in Portugal than the UK.
But anyone with a young family and the need to find a job in Portugal should spend a very long time researching and not let heart rule over head.

Is there any chance of you finding a reasonably paid job in Portugal. At the moment and for the forseeable future unless you speak fluent Portuguese and have a skill not found locally then the chances are small indeed.
Plus you would earn Portuguese rates of pay

Where in Portugal do you want to live ?
Do you want to be close to other English , if so then the Algarve is probably your first choice, but properties are more expensive there and job opportunities no better.

Are your children of an age that they can quickly merge into the state school system and learn the language. If not they may find life very difficult unless you use the international schools NOT CHEAP.
What further education plans do you have for your children after secondary school, job opportunities for young expats are virtually NIL unless they are lucky enough to get low paid seasonal work in the tourist industry.

You mention that you would need a mortgage, again the chances of getting one without a decent deposit and a cast iron income are slim.

If you can spend as much time in those parts of Portugal that appeal to you.
Do not buy but rent and keep your UK employment .
Stay in the UK tax system it is much more user friendly than the Portuguese.

Do not rush into anything or be rushed by those with properties or services to sell.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:11 am
Just Joined

borboleta is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG so many typos!!! That's what you get when you ask your husband to write it down for you!! and also couldn't find the edit button... where is that button when you need it most? At least you can get the gist!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you Tell.
Thing is, I do want 2 rent an keep my British employment. I work on pylons for an international company an work ten days on an four off so on my days off I will be going back to Portugal where my family will be living. To be honest this would be no different if I were working in England as my job takes me all over the country, so why not go home to paradise!

We love the idea of living in an area where there are expats but not over run by them, I really don't mean that in a bad way. Although we want our kids to enjoy it we still would like to be involved in the Portuguese culture. Our girls will be three an eight when we make the move if things go to plan an hopefully will will fit in to main stream school especially the older one.
At the moment were looking for towns, villages then schools, property, price of renting but don't no where to start with the legal side of moving if any! What's the next step or do I need to come back a step? Who's the best people or person to speak?
If I'm doing anything wrong please please put me straight.

Thanks......lee.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

TELL is an unknown quantity at this point

If you spend less than 180 days in Portugal, and it sounds as if that is the case and you have no income in Portugal then your status will not change.
Your wife would probably take out residencia ( not complicated ) as this will help with registration for education and health cover.

I still believe that your first priority is to find the part of Portugal that apealls to you . Then go on the various expat forums on which you will find expats who have extensive local knowledge on that area and be able to give you far more detailed advice on schools, housing etc.
We all have our biases, mine is for that part of the Algarve , west of Albufeira up to Lagos including the area around Silves.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

You need to seek professional advice.
You will be working in UK. You will be paying tax and national insurance in UK.
Your family will be living here.
I presume your wife will not be working here.
You will not be paying Portuguese social security. As such you and your family will not be entitled to state health care. Whether this also applies to education I do not know.
You have no financial history here. Your choice of lenders will be severely restricted.
Sorry to be so negative but ....
Also, your kids may well be held back a year at school. Normal for foreign kids. Nothing to worry about, learning the lingo takes time but with after school clubs is doable.
Life is tough here, be under no illusions, but the benefits are still worth it. Great place to raise a family. Bilingual and bi-cultural kids!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.