Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Portugal

Want to move to Portugal

Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:41 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Portugal

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Both games a bit dire,but it will be great at the weekend when they play each other!!! Will try to dry out a bit now,until then!!!
Hey Nomad that house has your name on it
Cleri xx
I could live there Cleri.
Now I,ve probably missed something here, but I cant find a phone number or email or anything on the sundreamer homes webpage. Just an address in London. What if you want to ring them about a property??
Perhaps I cant see the wood for the trees - but I really cant find a "contact us" link.

Please ask Ela.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:15 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
I could live there Cleri.
Now I,ve probably missed something here, but I cant find a phone number or email or anything on the sundreamer homes webpage. Just an address in London. What if you want to ring them about a property??
Perhaps I cant see the wood for the trees - but I really cant find a "contact us" link.

Please ask Ela.
http://www.paradise-in-portugal.co.uk/ try this
you have to go back to the home page and click on general info and then there is an e mail link
Love Ela
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:58 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.paradise-in-portugal.co.uk/ try this
you have to go back to the home page and click on general info and then there is an e mail link
Love Ela
Hi Cleri
I’ve been thinking – but I feel better when I sit down for a minute, until it goes away.

Seriously though wouldnt it be better to come to Portugal; find a place to rent and get the lay of the land before settling down anywhere. It wouldt be ideal to be too remote from people, and certainly not to the point where one is surrounded by only a handful of locals who don’t speak English and all one can do is talk with one's hands. That would be a bit lonely.
I mean once you’ve bought a place – your stuck. :scared:
So a reasonably populous city/town with some expats and cheap flats.

Any ideas?
You know you could open up a website called “Ask Ela”

Nomad
Old Jun 27th 2006, 12:28 pm

Hi Cleri
I’ve been thinking – but I feel better when I sit down for a minute, until it goes away.

Seriously though wouldnt it be better to come to Portugal; find a place to rent and get the lay of the land before settling down anywhere. It wouldt be ideal to be too remote from people, and certainly not to the point where one is surrounded by only a handful of locals who don’t speak English and all one can do is talk with one's hands. That would be a bit lonely.
I mean once you’ve bought a place – your stuck. :scared:
So a reasonably populous city/town with some expats and cheap flats.

Any ideas?
You know you could open up a website called “Ask Ela”

Nomad
Yes dont tax your brain like that,I dont want to have to pick up the pieces!!!
Well the trouble is that wherever the expats are,thats where its much more expensive to live,rentals,food etc etc,so its a bit of a vicious circle really.
I totally agree that renting is the only way,look at us,stuck here desperately wanting to move.
We looked at maybe 20km or so from Caldas (silver coast) thats where all the expats are now buying,we thought maybe live a way from it but its there if we need a brit fix ,but the trouble is,it will get more and more expensive as the foreigners move in,that is what happened here.So we would be no better off.
I think we will both have to move into a home for the bewildered until we can think of something.
Ela sends a lick and says she is going to give the matter serious thought and will get back to you.
Love Cleri xxx
Old Jun 27th 2006, 5:13 pm
---------

Yes dont tax your brain like that,I dont want to have to pick up the pieces!!!
Well the trouble is that wherever the expats are,thats where its much more expensive to live,rentals,food etc etc,so its a bit of a vicious circle really.
I totally agree that renting is the only way,look at us,stuck here desperately wanting to move.
We looked at maybe 20km or so from Caldas (silver coast) thats where all the expats are now buying,we thought maybe live a way from it but its there if we need a brit fix ,but the trouble is,it will get more and more expensive as the foreigners move in,that is what happened here.So we would be no better off.
I think we will both have to move into a home for the bewildered until we can think of something.
Ela sends a lick and says she is going to give the matter serious thought and will get back to you.
Love Cleri xxx
Whats this "seeing Roger for footie" business??
And the old German lady who eats garden hose pipes?? I've been checking up on you Cleri, and your 101 boxers.
You're everywhere!! I'm frightened to put the television on tonight in case your doing the weather - wouldnt surprise me.
I'm sure I saw a post somewhere about whether its better to buy a caravan in UK or Portugal.
Just thought I'd ask if you'd seen it you might direct me to the site.

Say "hello" to all in the kennels.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Of course renting for six months or so is the ideal situation. I recommend that of anyone moving to a new country. I'd rather 'throw' away money for six months, than find out that I'm stuck with a house in a place that I truly don't like.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:42 pm

Whats this "seeing Roger for footie" business??
And the old German lady who eats garden hose pipes?? I've been checking up on you Cleri, and your 101 boxers.
You're everywhere!! I'm frightened to put the television on tonight in case your doing the weather - wouldnt surprise me.
I'm sure I saw a post somewhere about whether its better to buy a caravan in UK or Portugal.
Just thought I'd ask if you'd seen it you might direct me to the site.

Say "hello" to all in the kennels.
ooo you do cheer me up!!! I am laughing out loud- the boxers eh hemmm only the two of them (Ela n Cookie) think im barmy,which of course I am.
Actually I turned down GMTV they couldnt afford me.
Beware...Ged also lurks about on there under the name of scotlander,scary,you see what happens when you move abroad and have nothing better to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Anyway,Roger is one of us.....ie just sold his house to get out of here!!!!! I can tell you are jealous
Re caravan.................anything and everything is more expensive here,buy in the Uk,no question about it,you wouldnt believe the price of second hand cars etc here,absolutely outrageous.
I must send you a pic of cookie,we rescued him about 6 months ago,think hes about 6,Ela thinks he is her answer to Richard Gere,so everything is good with those two,I dont get a look in now,not sure he would be happy about your feline children tho! :scared:
Im now watchin Spain v France....come on Spain (I think Im addicted) watching England v Portugal in the local bar complete with my union jack t shirt on saturday,so may noy be able to speak to you again after that,but it was nice knowing you.
Lots of lafs and love
Cleri xxxxxx
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

ooo you do cheer me up!!! I am laughing out loud- the boxers eh hemmm only the two of them (Ela n Cookie) think im barmy,which of course I am.
Beware...Ged also lurks about on there under the name of scotlander,scary,you see what happens when you move abroad and have nothing better to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Anyway,Roger is one of us.....ie just sold his house to get out of here!!!!! I can tell you are jealous
Re caravan.................anything and everything is more expensive here,buy in the Uk,no question about it,you wouldnt believe the price of second hand cars etc here,absolutely outrageous.
I must send you a pic of cookie,we rescued him about 6 months ago,think hes about 6,Ela thinks he is her answer to Richard Gere,so everything is good with those two,I dont get a look in now,not sure he would be happy about your feline children tho! :scared:
Im now watchin Spain v France....come on Spain (I think Im addicted) watching England v Portugal in the local bar complete with my union jack t shirt on saturday,so may noy be able to speak to you again after that,but it was nice knowing you.
Lots of lafs and love
Cleri xxxxxx
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, no matter the outcome I won't be able to show my face around here for the next month (might have to change my name again!..ha!ha!)
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:28 pm
---------

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, no matter the outcome I won't be able to show my face around here for the next month (might have to change my name again!..ha!ha!)
Yes you are right about the 6 months bit tourist, it makes good sense.

On the other subject, just get yourself a Tampa Bay Rowdies tshirt and big cigar, and dont mention soccer.

Cheers
Nomad
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Yes you are right about the 6 months bit tourist, it makes good sense.

On the other subject, just get yourself a Tampa Bay Rowdies tshirt and big cigar, and dont mention soccer.

Cheers
Nomad
Cigar? Ek is a vroumens!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:02 am
---------

Lots of lafs and love
Cleri xxxxxx
I'm formulating a plan here Cleri.
What are your comments on the following hypothesis.
1) Vehicles in the UK are right hand drive
2) Vehicles in Portugal are left hand drive
3) Vehicles in UK that are left hand drive are of less value
4) Same in reverse in Portugal

Therefore to buy a Left hand drive camper in the Uk drive to Portugal,
live in it until settled and then sell it would make sense??

The only thing is you’d probably need a campsite to stay initially.

What do you think??

Nomad
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:27 am

What do you think??

Nomad
Well
I certainly wouldnt want to drive in Portugal in a RHD,way too dangerous,its bad enough in a LHD.
You will not sell a uk RHD here when you have finished with it,nobody wants them.
I thought you were talking about a caravan,not a camper.
If you bring a uk registered vehicle over here,you have major problems.I think you can only insure them for a limited time,mots are nearly impossible etc etc,if you want to matriculate to portuguese plates its extremely expensive,not to mention the red tape,and you also must have owned it for at least 6 months prior to your trip.We had a uk car,7 months old and were told they wanted €4000 to matriculate (we took it home and bought here when we got back)But prices are ridiculous as I said,my 14 year old Punto cost €3000 2 years ago!!!!!
Many people here have their Uk cars/vans/campers illegally ie no tax and insurance,but dont travel very far in them,if they get stopped by GNR they say they are on holiday and have always got away with it.
There are plenty of campsites around,friends of ours lived on one for 8 months whilst they waited for a house to be available in Silves,they paid very very little to stay there,cant remember exactly how much,but it was nothing.
At the end of the day,if you want to be legal and hassle free then it would be better to buy here,but you will pay way over the odds.Its not a great choice really is it?
Did I cover everything?
Maybe Ged could tell you if vehicles are cheaper "up there" Of course I am here in Algarve so no doubt we pay over the odds anyway,like evrything else! but I have a feeling its a national thing with car prices.
Love Cleri x
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:47 am

What do you think??

Nomad
Ps
Dont think you would sell a Uk LHD either over here,for the same reasons,even tho its LHD,you still have the Uk registration problems.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Ps
Dont think you would sell a Uk LHD either over here,for the same reasons,even tho its LHD,you still have the Uk registration problems.
LHD cars are now as expensive as RHD in the Uk, but im not sure about camper vans. We went to look at buying a campervan here in Portugal but were shocked by the prices,in fact so shocked that I considered buying LHD campers in the UK and bringing them here to sell as a money maker,however im not sure how much demand there is for them. If you do buy a LHD camper you could MOT and insure it for one year before you come,after that change for Portuguese plates(then you will not have to pay the TAX) and keep it or sell it for a profit!
Val cars up here are just as expensive as the Algarve unfortunatly.
Ged
p.s Nomad,if not a camper,what about bringing a LHD car over and buying a caravan(tourer) once you are here. My uncle picked one up here for 2500 euros with an awning(about 10 yrs old but good condition). He keeps it on a campsite here all year,cost about 350 euros per year and an aditional 2.50 per night when he uses it "including electricity". Or you could go for the cheaper option of a feild!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:10 am
---------

Originally Posted by gedscottish
LHD cars are now as expensive as RHD in the Uk, but im not sure about camper vans. We went to look at buying a campervan here in Portugal but were shocked by the prices,in fact so shocked that I considered buying LHD campers in the UK and bringing them here to sell as a money maker,however im not sure how much demand there is for them. If you do buy a LHD camper you could MOT and insure it for one year before you come,after that change for Portuguese plates(then you will not have to pay the TAX) and keep it or sell it for a profit!
Val cars up here are just as expensive as the Algarve unfortunatly.
Ged
p.s Nomad,if not a camper,what about bringing a LHD car over and buying a caravan(tourer) once you are here. My uncle picked one up here for 2500 euros with an awning(about 10 yrs old but good condition). He keeps it on a campsite here all year,cost about 350 euros per year and an aditional 2.50 per night when he uses it "including electricity". Or you could go for the cheaper option of a feild!
Thanks Ged - I'm getting confused now.
I only wanted a camper as a means to an end. In other words to get me; my cats and some belongings over there. Then probably go onto a site for a few weeks and get a flat. Outside of that I dont particularly want a campers life.
Anyway I'll get there in the end.

Thanks for your ideas.

Cheers

Nomad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.