Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Votes for......Braga or Guimaraes

Votes for......Braga or Guimaraes

Old Aug 7th 2021, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Votes for......Braga or Guimaraes

Opinions please(and why).
Fed up with the Palencia ,Valladolid, Salamanca drive down, so going to drive the coast of Asturias and then turn south and visit 2 cities we havn't visited before(well just one this time).So where should we stay first? Braga or Guimares.?
Old Aug 8th 2021, 7:25 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Votes for......Braga or Guimaraes

I'm fairly familiar with the main centres of both, being fairly close by. They're both very pleasant and attractive cities, with small-ish historic centres - nice places to wander about, do a bit of shopping, soak up the atmosphere, seek out refreshment etc. Braga's the larger of the two and has a lot more spread around the centre, but there's nothing about either that shouts "Come here first!!" to me.

If you really want a reason to put one in front of the other, GuimarĂ£es has a claim to being the birthplace of Portugal (or PT national identity) and a little more charm, in my opinion, so I'd say if you could only visit one in your lifetime, make it GuimarĂ£es.