Reload this Page >

Viewing properties advice wanted

Viewing properties advice wanted

Old May 19th 2019, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Helen248 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Viewing properties advice wanted

Bom dia,

We are planning to move to Portugal and purchase a property to live in permanently not just a holiday home. We have viewed lots of info re: purchasing a property in Portugal but feel our first steps are to go and view some houses. We have booked flights to Porto in Oct for 1 week and our plan is to view as many properties as we can. We currently are looking on Rightmove and estate agents websites and plan to contact estate agents directly 1 month in advance of our trip to book in viewings. We will book AirBNB's to stay in.

We have a budget of upto 100K and want a 3 bed property with garden/open space with views in the countryside with no direct neighbours. We also need property to be up together ready to move in to and don't want a DIY or renovation project. It would be good to be no longer than 1 1/2 hrs to an airport and beach/coast. We like the idea of being in a remote/rural area but require good internet access as husband planning to work ICT job remotely. We don't mind a 10-20 min drive to a town (supermarket, cafes, pharmacy, bank etc.).

Does anyone have any advice on maximising our week in Oct and how best to go about viewing properties? I understand that most estate agents actually drive you around for viewings so it may be good to find 2 or 3 properties with each estate agent. Are there recommended estate agents in Central Portugal? How many properties can we view in a day?

We have viewed on Rightmove some nice properties in Alvaiazere, Figueiro Dos Vinhos, Leiria, Gois, Castelo Branco.

Any help/advice welcome.

Last edited by Helen248; May 19th 2019 at 2:57 pm.
Old May 19th 2019, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Viewing properties advice wanted

Hello,
We have just purchased our property in Portugal in Feb. We have been looking for 2 years,spending the last 2 winters in Portugal.
Choose yourself which properties you want to visit( you need to do a lot of work here looking at all available websites). Don't leave it to agents to choose what they will show you, supposedly based on your requirements,because they will invariably show you a lot of junk.
Properties might be advertised in a certain town,but could be miles away from where you might think.
Make use of google earth and street view. I doubt a week will be enough. You really need to spend time in Portugal to get the feel of both the country and area.
Best of luck in your search......................
Old May 19th 2019, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Helen248 is an unknown quantity at this point

The week in Oct is mainly to view properties for the first time. We don't plan to purchase Oct and realistically looking to purchase around April 2020. We can only take 1 week off of work so have to make the most of our viewings and see as many properties as we can to get a feel of what we can get for our money. Do you know how far in advance we can book a viewing? We don't want to book too far in advance from the UK as properties might sale and then we have arranged accommodation around the viewings that may get cancelled.

I was thinking of contacting estate agents 1 month prior to flight. We will hire a car from Porto airport. Are there any bad areas in Portugal?

We have visited different areas of Portugal but only on holidays so need to view properties and areas to get a feel for areas.

It's scary but exciting times!
Old May 19th 2019, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

2-3 days in advance should be enough
Old May 19th 2019, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

don't be surprised to find the houses you have picked to view are already sold but the useless estate agents out here tend to forget to take them off their books and still have them listed as for sale.

'frustrated buyer'

8 houses we had screened and wanted to view and each one had already been sold
Old May 19th 2019, 5:47 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
don't be surprised to find the houses you have picked to view are already sold but the useless estate agents out here tend to forget to take them off their books and still have them listed as for sale.

'frustrated buyer'

8 houses we had screened and wanted to view and each one had already been sold
That's not the agents fault its owners who multi list and Don,t bother to tell the agents when on of the others sells..
Old May 19th 2019, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

In my view you need to make a shortlist of areas and if possible actual villages in which you would like to live before you expend your (and your chosen real estate agent's) time viewing random properties in case one meets your needs. Do a list of features that are deal-breakers and another of list of features that you are able to compromise on. Then consider re thinking your budget as €100k is on the light side for the requirements you list. In better quality areas your choices may be limited to properties with some kind of negative element. You need to give the agents a detailed brief or they will go into autopilot mode and waste your time showing you things that are unsuitable - these people are not mind readers, Most unsuitable properties can be eliminated from a careful look at the photographs and seeing the exact location on google maps and doing some clear thinking. No need to tour round hundreds, only the ones that 1) are available 2) have correct documentation 3) have reasonable size and layout 4) are located somewhere its possible to live (not near a main road, next to commercial activities, with power lines across the view etc etc).
Old May 19th 2019, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t just use rightmove.
I think case.sapo.pt/ idealista have more local oriented
Old May 19th 2019, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Rightmove is just a portal - the estate agents use them to show their properties.

There are a couple of agents I know of, further up north. As we're not allowed to advertise, I'll pm you.

But not tonight, tomorrow. It's been a long day, working the garden and I'm knackered.
Old May 19th 2019, 8:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
Rightmove is just a portal - the estate agents use them to show their properties.

There are a couple of agents I know of, further up north. As we're not allowed to advertise, I'll pm you.

But not tonight, tomorrow. It's been a long day, working the garden and I'm knackered.
It is not advertising if you are recommending agents that you have no connection with apart from on a professional basis. PM's are also covered in the no advertising rule.

Rosemary
Old May 19th 2019, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosemary, but I'll still pm, had my hand slapped once and didn't like it.

Just a bloke I know who runs his own agency and building firm.
Old May 19th 2019, 8:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
Thanks Rosemary, but I'll still pm, had my hand slapped once and didn't like it.

Just a bloke I know who runs his own agency and building firm.
Put it on here, no hand slapping. The OP cannot receive PM's yet.

Rosemary
Old May 19th 2019, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen

I live a couple of K outside of Gois and after eight years I think I could advise you should you need help in the Gois area. Also the estate agent in Gois speaks great English and has recently sold a house in my village and another near me. The estate agent seems to have a very good name his website just put into Google Prodirecta and it should come top of the Google list. Gois is about 2hr 15 min from Porto airport.

Peter
Old May 20th 2019, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rosemary.

Kevin at Propertyshopportugal.com
Old May 20th 2019, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I am as well hesitant to post links to recommendations here as the hand-slapping Gestapo are ever vigilant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.