Via Verde Visitors Transponder

Via Verde Visitors Transponder

Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Via Verde Visitors Transponder

Has anyone ordered one of these? https://visitors.viaverde.pt/en/home
From the site:

Discover Portugal with Via Verde Visitors.

Via Verde Visitors is the only system that allows visitors to Portugal to travel on all national motorways without having to stop for tolls.

Ask for your transponder now and have it sent to your home or any address by choice:
  • No commitment
  • Lifetime warranty
  • No expiration
  • Exclusive payment with a non-Portuguese bank account

It looks like a good deal (1.25€ per month when used), better than what I get from the car hire agencies (usually 1.85€ per day)
It looks like you can change the car reg easily via the web, so each time I get a hire car, I could enter a new reg, and then remove the reg after the hire period.

Is anyone signed up for this? Is it as good - and easy - as it looks?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12th 2021, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Via Verde Visitors Transponder

I'm in the process of getting one as got a few days car hire coming up so then have have a choice of this (if it arrives) one or hire car one. Not too impressed by their website as they seem to have a Portuguese phone number with a different timezone from Portugal. Customer service: 8.30am - 8.30pm (business days - GMT +1)

Old Nov 12th 2021, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks coleio. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 1:06 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I've not used one as a visitor, but as I don't live on the Algarve and don't often use motorways, I have a similar deal for mine.

It works well - the same as any other - and only paying a bit when you use it means it'll be replaced if and when required..... better than making a one-off payment and then finding a duff transponder on your hands.

As long as they deliver correctly and you ensure it's only used for the registered vehicle, you should be OK
Old Nov 12th 2021, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

bicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura about

You might consider https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/ which is UK based and distributes tags on behalf of Sanef. You can get a tag which covers you for Portugal and Spain. If you want to drive on French motorways you need a separate French one. In Portugal you can use it on all motorways.

Of course you will pay a little more but I have been using it in Portugal on my Portuguese registered car for several years.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicabica
You might consider https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/ which is UK based and distributes tags on behalf of Sanef. You can get a tag which covers you for Portugal and Spain. If you want to drive on French motorways you need a separate French one. In Portugal you can use it on all motorways.

Of course you will pay a little more but I have been using it in Portugal on my Portuguese registered car for several years.
But you cannot use it with a Portuguese Hire Car.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ARCNET
But you cannot use it with a Portuguese Hire Car.
Interesting point. I found the following on https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/portugal-toll-tags - "Emovis Tags shouldn’t be used on Portuguese hire cars as there are usually already registered with Via Verde through the hire company."

I'll have to write to Via Verde Visitors to see if that applies to them as well.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

So much for writing to them. The only customer contact option is via a phone line with per minute charges ... on top of the international calling fees.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coleio
I'm in the process of getting one as got a few days car hire coming up so then have have a choice of this (if it arrives) one or hire car one. Not too impressed by their website as they seem to have a Portuguese phone number with a different timezone from Portugal. Customer service: 8.30am - 8.30pm (business days - GMT +1)
Hi, coleio Did it work for you?
Old Jan 5th 2022, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flatlndr
Interesting point. I found the following on https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/portugal-toll-tags - "Emovis Tags shouldn’t be used on Portuguese hire cars as there are usually already registered with Via Verde through the hire company."

I'll have to write to Via Verde Visitors to see if that applies to them as well.
Worked with someone who was part of the design team for the VV software, the toll gates don't always get a read on the tag, so the back end may need to (either automatically on ANPR or sometimes with manual assistance) match the vehicle. If there were two tags registered to the vehicle then they wouldn't know which one to match to, that's why it is not permitted

Old Jan 6th 2022, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Worked with someone who was part of the design team for the VV software, the toll gates don't always get a read on the tag, so the back end may need to (either automatically on ANPR or sometimes with manual assistance) match the vehicle. If there were two tags registered to the vehicle then they wouldn't know which one to match to, that's why it is not permitted
Surely, if the tag (or neither tag, if two) is registered by the scanners, the charge is levied against the vehicle registration number? If they then use the registration number to look for a related tag (and associated payment system) there would be no need for the tag at all - you could just associate the payment method with the registration number directly.

I have used the CTT pre-paid anonymous transponder successfully in Portuguese hire cars to pay A22 tolls (removing their transponder and shielding it in aluminium foil). My transponder is never registered to a particular vehicle - if it's there it's scanned and charged, if it's not there it can't be charged.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. I'm hiring a car from a smaller company which does not supply transponders, so I think I should be ok in that the number plate won't be registered. I just need to make sure I de-register the plates soon after I return the car, so that I don't pay any subsequent to
Old Jan 6th 2022, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Surely, if the tag (or neither tag, if two) is registered by the scanners, the charge is levied against the vehicle registration number? If they then use the registration number to look for a related tag (and associated payment system) there would be no need for the tag at all - you could just associate the payment method with the registration number directly.

I have used the CTT pre-paid anonymous transponder successfully in Portuguese hire cars to pay A22 tolls (removing their transponder and shielding it in aluminium foil). My transponder is never registered to a particular vehicle - if it's there it's scanned and charged, if it's not there it can't be charged.
A22 is the electronic (SCUTS) system, not the toll gates (VV lanes) I was mentioning, it works a bit differently and does have an option to charge to the vehicle (allowing post-pay, since there is no manual payment opportunity on the road). Indeed the transponder is not a necessity for SCUTS, but continual post payment is a huge hassle, as it must be done within two days.

What you are doing should be pretty OK, as I think those gates are almost 100% on reads. You could potentially hit a problem if your transponder fails though (eg the battery runs out). I'm not sure if you would still have the opportunity to manually pay within two days or if they would be "helpful" and look up the hire companies associated transponder account and charge it. Not the end of the world if that happens - the hire company would probably just re-bill the amount to you (plus a nice admin charge)

For standard toll booths with VV lanes, the charge is made to the transponder account and there is no option of post-pay. If you don't get a read, you go to a backup option to find the transponder account associated with the vehicle (matching via reg). You can see in the CTT conditions that it's not possible to use the anonymous transponder on VV lanes

Using the hire company's tag seems expensive, but does allow you to use the VV lanes, which is very useful if you want to go elsewhere in Portugal. All the hire companies I used had a maximum charge for their tag - from memory it was something like 7 or 10 days worth of the daily rentals.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flatlndr
Thanks. I'm hiring a car from a smaller company which does not supply transponders, so I think I should be ok in that the number plate won't be registered. I just need to make sure I de-register the plates soon after I return the car, so that I don't pay any subsequent to
Just be a little careful, as de-registration is not instantaneous (sorry I forget exactly how long, but I think they say it might take 24 hrs). So you might want to de-register a day before you hand it back and pay the last days tolls manually. No problem with normal toll gates, a bit of a pain with SCUTS, but possible. Or if you only really need it for SCUTS anyway then the CTT transponder mentioned above is a good option.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 9:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicabica

Hi I'd like to clarify one point.

I gave a transponder that works in FR,ES,PT and IT.

I used it for all of the first 3 countries last year on one trip and it worked fine, in fact it's wonderful! We also drove through France on Tuesday, and love sailing through the tolls at 30km/h!

You only pay for the month you use, a small charge. At the moment they are offering 8 months free.

https://www.mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com/en
Drive safe too
Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.