Van Scrappage

Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Eddie5425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Van Scrappage

HI
I will be moving to Portugal in October. Can I scrap my van there at a scrap yard or do I have to return to the uk to avoid a lot of hassle?

Thanks in advance
Eddie
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Van Scrappage

Originally Posted by Eddie5425
HI
I will be moving to Portugal in October. Can I scrap my van there at a scrap yard or do I have to return to the uk to avoid a lot of hassle?

Thanks in advance
Eddie
Yes, you can scrap it in Portugal.

1 - Vehicles that enter national territory and are not intended to be registered, as they are destined for dismantling, circulation or permanence in an exclusively private domain, collection or any other reason that exempts the attribution of national registration must, within 10 days useful after entering the national territory, be subject to presentation of DAV, the original documents of the vehicle being delivered to the IMT, IP, or to the competent services regarding land transport, in the case of autonomous regions, within 10 days from date of submission of the DAV.

2 - Vehicles destined for dismantling must be returned directly to the centers accredited for the purpose, with their owners or legitimate holders being obliged to send the vehicle destruction certificate to the entities referred to in the previous number, within 30 days.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Bomber
Eddie
Old Jan 8th 2021, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the van I guess but it's common to sell a UK vehicle here to a parts place who will break it and sell the parts.
You keep paperwork and just let dvla in UK know... At least then you will make a few quid out of it
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Depending on the van I guess but it's common to sell a UK vehicle here to a parts place who will break it and sell the parts.
You keep paperwork and just let dvla in UK know... At least then you will make a few quid out of it
Thanks
Eddie
Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I have previously bought an old cheap van from outside the EU to inside the EU and it then became liable for VAT on the value of the van where an official EU garage/car dealer had to value the van on their headed note paper (they'd accept the original invoice if I'd had it). You may find since Jan 1st this now applies to vehicles from the UK being disposed of within the EU.

Last edited by coleio; Jan 9th 2021 at 12:08 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coleio
Hi,
I have previously bought an old cheap van from outside the EU to inside the EU and it then became liable for VAT on the value of the van where an official EU garage/car dealer had to value the van on their headed note paper (they'd accept the original invoice if I'd had it). You may find since Jan 1st this now applies to vehicles from the UK being disposed of within the EU.
Thanks Coleio,
I've a big folder full of paper work and the original invoice on the van(second hand) I'll add your advice to informing the DVLA. Something I thought |I would have been able to forget abuout. I rang a Portuguese scrap yard who are happy to take it. The mans English was perfect, said he would give me something for it when he sees it, I'll just want rid of it. I wondered how I would have got on ringing a English scrap yard and speaking Portuguese !! not far I expect.
Thanks for the heads up.