Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Using metal blades in fire season

Using metal blades in fire season

Old Jun 24th 2021, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about
Default Using metal blades in fire season

Hi, I'm assuming that having a bonfire is out of the question now even though it's been quite wet but does anyone know if using a ride-on lawnmower or a chainsaw is banned already - the wetness has made the grass/weeds grow again!
Old Jun 25th 2021, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using metal blades in fire season

No metal blades allowed and fire risk is rapidly going up now the rain has passed. Strimmers using plastic twine are allowed.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 1:08 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
No metal blades allowed and fire risk is rapidly going up now the rain has passed. Strimmers using plastic twine are allowed.
Does this really apply to lawnmowers as well?

This is the info from the Met Office's fire risk page :

IPMA - Wildfire Risk

Cross referencing that with the map alongside gives you what is and isn't allowed in your particular area. It varies from place to place according to risk level. No mention of lawnmower restrictions though, or of any general "no metal blades" rule.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it does. There is no difference between a metal blade hitting a stone and creating a spark on a lawnmower and the same thing happening with a strimmer. Lawnmowers are not really a Portuguese thing. Having lived through two major fires very close to where I live last year, one killing a young firefighter, please take these things seriously and don't try to find loopholes to try and wriggle out of your responsibilites. Should you cause a fire, the PJ will not look kindly on it.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for replying and the useful link from Red Eric which I have bookmarked.
We wouldn't break the rules as we know how easily sparks can start a fire. Several years ago, we were having lunch outside when we smelt burning. A man over the road was using an angle grinder and a spark crossed the road, somehow got through our brambles and set fire to the dried grass and our tent! It was lucky we happened to be there so could act quickly and put the fire out but has made us aware to be most careful.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Strimmers can not only start a fire but also damage shutters....couple years ago, in the public garden behind my house (just finished at the time, with electric shutters) the local council turn up to `cut the grass`.....only of course they dont cut it , they strim it....!!! Not surprising I suppose considering the base of the grass is brita.......despite being 4o mtrs away, with the geezer wearing full face gear and headphones for his sounds, he merrily carried on firing brita my way damaging (full denting) of 2 of the ground floor shutters. Was like being in a war zone, had to go in, and of course he couldnt hear my cries for him to stop......photos sent to camara.result......nothing done !!! Ban the bloody things I say and get a proper lawn or none at all.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 6:39 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borisface
Yes it does. There is no difference between a metal blade hitting a stone and creating a spark on a lawnmower and the same thing happening with a strimmer. Lawnmowers are not really a Portuguese thing. Having lived through two major fires very close to where I live last year, one killing a young firefighter, please take these things seriously and don't try to find loopholes to try and wriggle out of your responsibilites. Should you cause a fire, the PJ will not look kindly on it.
I was really only trying to establish the facts, not suggest anyone do anything dangerous or illegal.

Round my area, lawnmowers are definitely a thing and there are any number of places which sell and maintain them. It's a mixed environment, with lots of properties of all types and sizes, along with a fair bit of agricultural land, vineyards, orchards etc. Many of the dwellings are suburban style, in full or in part and so plenty have lawns of various sizes. I've never noticed anyone curbing their mowing habits during the summer. My local town also has plenty of lawned green spaces kept in superb trim by a team of staff who use both ride-on and standard rotary mowers throughout the year. I'll look out to see if they halt at all on days of highest risk.

I think there's a difference in risk according to what it is you're mowing - if it's tinder-dry rough grassland it's obviously a different thing from a lush well-watered garden or grassed area.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Well I will be using my metal bladed lawn mower tomorrow whatever the rules say, I'd much rather risk the consequences than upsetting the missus........ 😎
Old Jun 27th 2021, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Me too; high grass is also a fire hazard.
However, I do keep a big water type fire extinguisher on the tractor, I have hoses all around the place, I have no rocks, and my yard is not too dry yet.
Also where I live even if there were a grass fire it can't get far, it's agriculture area and there are no continuous forests.

Old Jun 27th 2021, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I sincerely hope that you don't cause a fire and, if you do, when you're in your prison cell and you ask your cellmate what he's in for, he doesn't reply 'the sex'.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 1:00 pm
Polished expat

Have we been presented yet with any evidence that using a lawnmower on residential property is prohibited under any circumstances?
Old Jun 27th 2021, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Have we been presented yet with any evidence that using a lawnmower on residential property is prohibited under any circumstances?
No, and I'll wager its not prohibited 😎
Old Jun 28th 2021, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borisface
Well I sincerely hope that you don't cause a fire and, if you do, when you're in your prison cell and you ask your cellmate what he's in for, he doesn't reply 'the sex'.

Then he asks what I'm in for; "ARSON! hahahahaha!"
Old Jun 28th 2021, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Then he asks what I'm in for; "ARSON! hahahahaha!"
Its bound to offend some.... But that did make me laugh my cornflakes all over the kitchen table
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glad you got a chuckle; this group could lighten up a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.