Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Using an Aga for Heating?

Using an Aga for Heating?

Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Using an Aga for Heating?

Just been watching Escape to the Country and one of the houses had an Aga which feeds a heating system....this must be a good idea for winters in PT? Never thought to look back to how we used to cope with the cold in the UK.

When we eventually build I'd like to incorporate anything that could help to cheaply heat the house and maybe this could be an option.

G
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Using an Aga for Heating?

Electric underfloor heating with the best intelligent thermostat you can buy, brilliant for this climate where you might have the door open through the day as it reacts to the temperature 10 cm. under the floor. I wouldn't hesitate if I built another house, I installed it in half the house and find myself half wishing something would happen so I had to take the floor up in the other half. Really economical compared with the two ineffectual Heatwafers we had before.

Actually I supose I would look at water run underfloor from an Aga but the set up costs must be high. The electric cost aout €600 and double the area wouldn't cost double because the thermostat was expensive.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Yes I do like the idea of having under floor heating...cold tiles on bare feet When we eventually get around to building I shall have to get you to pm me your installer.

Nice to know your thoughts as I would have only put it downstairs as we intend to have wood floors in the bedrooms, but now would probably think about doing it everywhere. Can you choose to not have it on in different areas?

G
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Absolutely, we only have it downstairs, but the constant, even heat rises. I installed it my self! It's that easy! My OH went to England on the day the floor was ready for it and I was left to do it, using the place in Boliquemes' scribbled instructions, as the Bulgarian workers of our Portuguese friend and builder didn't feel comfortable with it. This is its' third winter so I guess I managed. If you get to that point please contact me. It's brilliant!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way, Domus would have installed it and given a 10 year guarantee for €100 but we were trying to save money.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Great, thanks for that.

G
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice

Hmmmm.. At one of the residences in the Hull University I attended, they had underfloor heating and one problem, certainly with me, was the heat on your feet! Feet hot, head cold! Somehow it didn't feel natural.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ahh, but with me if my feet are warm I'm warm, if my feet are cold I'm cold.

G
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

But you possibly didn't have control of the temperature, it should only feel not cold and it can heat the room. Imagine the inside walls in the summer.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anna,

I have found another reason for having under floor heating. I have been having to feed my brother's cat for the past few days, and he has underfloor heating in his kitchen area. Cat has had the squits and been walking poo all over the place so I've been having to mop everything down every day and how fantastic is it with UFH??? Couple of seconds and the floor is all dry!! With kids (I have 3) that is a definite bonus as nobody will be slipping over.

The floor doesn't feel warm, but the room does. The floor just feels not cold.

I've asked on the other posts if anyone knows how many kw an hour it uses...I just have to have it LOL

G
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's absolutely true, you don't put it under units and I didn't have it for about 4 feet near my back door and that part of the floor doesn't dry half as fast as the rest, and often gets dirty footmarks on it before it dries.

This means you don't need anything like the full square meterage of the groundfloor, for example my kitchen is about 25 square metres, but I put 12 square metres of cable in and it's plenty.

I just feel obliged to tell people what a brilliant system it is for this climate.

Last edited by anna58; Apr 9th 2009 at 9:44 pm.