Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Unexpected tax document

Unexpected tax document

Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:20 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected tax document

A cliffhanger, eh?

I'll tune in again Monday for the next installment, then

Also yes, it isn't the easiest having a conversation in a non-native language filtered through protective layers and with ambient noise, is it? I've noticed that myself. I'm sure the baker thinks I'm going deaf.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
A cliffhanger, eh?

I'll tune in again Monday for the next installment, then

Also yes, it isn't the easiest having a conversation in a non-native language filtered through protective layers and with ambient noise, is it? I've noticed that myself. I'm sure the baker thinks I'm going deaf.
Indeed, but then at least in person you have got a chance. When we had to communicate with the Tax office in mid-pandemic it was phone only (the phone call being to refuse an in-person appointment!!! carefully made online) and the amount of noise going on in the background combined with an obviously bored and un-interested chap who could not even be bothered to speak more slowly when requested - well it was was stressful and our previously good impression of the service of the Finanças (online and in person - avoided the phone!) went seriously downhill.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to tell you but you'll need to keep hanging from that cliff a bit longer - there was no call or email today. Why do I always believe them when they say they'll call and they always disappoint me?
Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ricko
After completing my tax return I received a
Demonstracao de Liquidacao de IRS
in the post.

I didn't get one of these last year, so is this a new document?
I only recognise one of the figures on the document.

Do I need to take any action with this?
If you completed a return and have been assessed, you will always get this document - however with covid etc, it might have been delivered to a wrong address by the postman (could have been a substitute postman, etc),
Old Sep 6th 2021, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
If you completed a return and have been assessed, you will always get this document - however with covid etc, it might have been delivered to a wrong address by the postman (could have been a substitute postman, etc),
I assme it was one that was not forwarded to me ( I was stranded in UK lockdown at that time)
Old Sep 15th 2021, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

After giving finanças 2 weeks to get back to me we rang and made another appointment to see the head of finanças so finally I have something to report.
So, regarding the e faturas we were told that we didn't get the full amount that we had earned in the deduções de coleta because we hadn't selected englobamento on our return. So that bit was easy if a bit unsatisfying.

We then spent the next hour discovering that we didn't need to report rental income that we get from the UK because of the double tax agreement. The man said each year he thought we were very benevolent in putting that income on our tax returns!! To avoid confusion my husband wrote the following statement to which agreed "If you are declaring rental income in the UK you do NOT need to declare it anywhere on the Portuguese tax return" !!!
This means that for years we have been overpaying tax here. He said we could submit yet another return and get a refund for this year but not previous years. He said we had 120 days from when the payment was due ie 31/8/21 so I think we'll do that!
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:02 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit to being completely baffled by that on both counts.

I'll be interested in what TonyJ1 has to say on the matter.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluffyhead

We then spent the next hour discovering that we didn't need to report rental income that we get from the UK because of the double tax agreement. The man said each year he thought we were very benevolent in putting that income on our tax returns!! To avoid confusion my husband wrote the following statement to which agreed "If you are declaring rental income in the UK you do NOT need to declare it anywhere on the Portuguese tax return" !!!
This means that for years we have been overpaying tax here. He said we could submit yet another return and get a refund for this year but not previous years. He said we had 120 days from when the payment was due ie 31/8/21 so I think we'll do that!
I think you have to declare all your worldwide income, although you may not have to pay PT tax on some or all of it.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
I think you have to declare all your worldwide income, although you may not have to pay PT tax on some or all of it.
You are correct and the tax person incorrect. If on the nhr, then not taxable, but otherwise it will be taxable, though credit will be given for taxes incurred (up to the Portuguese tax liability)
Old Sep 16th 2021, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

After giving finanças 2 weeks to get back to me we rang and made another appointment to see the head of finanças so finally I have something to report.
So, regarding the e faturas we were told that we didn't get the full amount that we had earned in the deduções de coleta because we hadn't selected englobamento on our return. So that bit was easy if a bit unsatisfying.

W
Unfortunately that is what is in the rules
Old Sep 16th 2021, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct and the tax person incorrect. If on the nhr, then not taxable, but otherwise it will be taxable, though credit will be given for taxes incurred (up to the Portuguese tax liability)
I think that even on NHR the foreign income is still relevant and needs to be declared, even though it may not be taxable.

My understanding is the following example:

Single NHR with exempt foreign income of 50,000, no englobamento for PT interest, tax credits not taken into account, relevant net PT income from his job (say doctor) of 7,000 and further 10,000 net PT income from AL.

I think the way AT would calculate the tax liability for those 10,000 from AL (which is not taxed at flat rate of 20%) is the following:

They would add 50,000 (exempt) + 7,000 (work) + 10,000 (AL) = 67,000

Then tax 7,000@20% (NHR), and the final 10,000 would be taxed @45% as they fall into the 36,967-80,882 bracket, bringing the overall tax liability to 1,400 + 4,500 = 5,900.

If the exempt foreign income were to be completely ignored, which I think would be wrong, then the taxable income would be calculated as 7,000 + 10,000 = 17,000, with tax due of 1,400 + 2,635 = 4,035, or nearly 2,000 less than the tax in the first scenario.

Last edited by SgtTroy; Sep 16th 2021 at 9:31 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a table of `tax allowable expenses` for 2021 anywhere, for UK pensioner, as tax resident of PT
Would they all be deductible with NHR status?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:51 am
Polished expat

No, you don't get the deductions if you're not being taxed under the general tax regime.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:55 am
Polished expat

Unfortunately that is what is in the rules
I'm still not clear on how those deductions could be allowed in part. Surely under those circs, they're either all allowed or all not allowed.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
No, you don't get the deductions if you're not being taxed under the general tax regime.
OK, so as a normal tax payer, is there a list of such allowances, if so where would I find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.