Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Unattended House Alarms?

Wikiposts

Unattended House Alarms?

Old May 7th 2017, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unattended House Alarms?

First of all..whats the point? Do the people who have installed them think a passing stranger is going to say.. Oooh look(listen) that house alarm is going off,better call the GNR. In your dreams.

We have just arrived back after an exhausting trip,ending with a six hour car journey. An hour after we sank into a coma on the couch a house alarm started up on the hill below us. That was at 2pm yesterday and its' STILL GOING.

Obviously no one home...(or could they be? unconscious clutching the replacement battery) Equally obviously- no one has taken a blind bit of notice, including the police.

What are your thoughts/experiences with this ? What is the law in Portugal-(if any) For us it sounds like some mad bird call in the far distance.. however if it was my neighbour
Old May 7th 2017, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unattended House Alarms?

For unattended house, (if it's not too big) I use a canary device, which is montion detected camera, costs about 150 pound but sometimes cheaper on promotion. You can also view your house live for peace of mind. I used it since Christmas and definitely would recommend.
Old May 7th 2017, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qianh
For unattended house, (if it's not too big) I use a canary device, which is montion detected camera, costs about 150 pound but sometimes cheaper on promotion. You can also view your house live for peace of mind. I used it since Christmas and definitely would recommend.
Thanks for advice Quianh... My house has a perfect alarm AND a man to call me up if it goes off.. Which was rather the point of my post.. By 'unattended' i mean nothing happens when it goes off. No one obviously in contact with the owner of the property. Police to not attend . Everyone suffers the consequences.. The B****y thing is still going off.Poor neighbours
Old May 7th 2017, 11:37 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Thanks for advice Quianh... My house has a perfect alarm AND a man to call me up if it goes off.. Which was rather the point of my post.. By 'unattended' i mean nothing happens when it goes off. No one obviously in contact with the owner of the property. Police to not attend . Everyone suffers the consequences.. The B****y thing is still going off.Poor neighbours
When not there we get an SMS message from the system and a quick call or email sorts it out.
Not reacting give the burglars hours to strip your house clean of its valuables.
If you know the house slip a note under their front door on the lines of.
" If I was a robber etc "
Old May 7th 2017, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

why not call the police then its their problem - after all there just might be a reason as you described for it
many many years ago in England in a similar circumstance i knocked an alarm off the side of a shop with a sledgehammer after it had been ringing for 36 hours
The owner actually apologised and thanked me for sorting it out - sadly i think those days are long gone - call the police
Old May 8th 2017, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
When not there we get an SMS message from the system and a quick call or email sorts it out.
Not reacting give the burglars hours to strip your house clean of its valuables.
If you know the house slip a note under their front door on the lines of.
" If I was a robber etc "
Was slightly tempted... but it was far enough away from us to not cause a total nuisance . We were too busy anyway.I did enjoy thinking of ways to disable it though. p.s it has finally stopped this morning
Old May 8th 2017, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
why not call the police then its their problem - after all there just might be a reason as you described for it
many many years ago in England in a similar circumstance i knocked an alarm off the side of a shop with a sledgehammer after it had been ringing for 36 hours
The owner actually apologised and thanked me for sorting it out - sadly i think those days are long gone - call the police
Police will not come out to alarms going off Carvoeiro. Don't blame them when you think of the likelihood of trying to trace the owner of the house. If one went off on some of the permanently empty villa's around here,and they hadn't got a contract,god knows where the owner could be. How would you find out?. Personally I think people should be fined for not having a contract/contact etc.
Old May 8th 2017, 10:56 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Police will not come out to alarms going off Carvoeiro. Don't blame them when you think of the likelihood of trying to trace the owner of the house. If one went off on some of the permanently empty villa's around here,and they hadn't got a contract,god knows where the owner could be. How would you find out?. Personally I think people should be fined for not having a contract/contact etc.
That'll come just after the fine for having a dog that barks, will it?
Old May 9th 2017, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam
That'll come just after the fine for having a dog that barks, will it?
I hope so... You can train a dog though.

New legislation came in on Monday. Animals (dogs included ) now have the status of 'Sentient Beings' instead of the 'things' they were before. i.e. You can no longer be cruel to them. So you can now report that constantly barking dog....