Reload this Page >

UK Vehicle Matriculation after Brexit - Question

UK Vehicle Matriculation after Brexit - Question

Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

DoubleFilms is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up UK Vehicle Matriculation after Brexit - Question

Hey you guys,

Does anyone know if any Brexit scenario will affect the matriculation of a UK registered car into Portugal.

TIA
Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Vehicle Matriculation after Brexit - Question

No it won't because the matriculation takes place in Portugal & the tax/matriculation free new immigrant concession has nothing to do with the EU & is open to all vehicles no matter where they come from. ((If they fit the (identical) criteria)).

I bought mine from South Africa & know of others that have come from a number of EU & non EU member states................... Although Dubai seems to be a problem ATM as they're currently requiring the registration document & number plates be handed in before the export permit is issued & the vehicle cannot be matriculated without those things.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:10 am
Just Joined

DoubleFilms is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thank you.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Have a look at my experiences of Importing a car to Portugal

It isn't quite as daunting as it might appear!
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

As a U.K. resident intending not to change residency, is the process of matriculating a U.K. reg car to Portugal any easier or not? Thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

To import tax free you need to give declaration under oath that you are no longer a resident of UK.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 1st 2019, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

More accurately, to get the tax free concession, you have to be a new immigrant to Portugal & if you're not resident then you don't get it & have to pay the obscenely high tax which incidentally is calculated on engine size & emissions not on value.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodstore
As a U.K. resident intending not to change residency, is the process of matriculating a U.K. reg car to Portugal any easier or not? Thanks.
Why are you thinking of doing this, even if it were possible?
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

We come and go frequently and leave one of our UK cars in Portugal for the max of 6 mths driving down in April and returning Oct. It works ok but after 5 years of it for reasons now of a. cost and b. lots of driving, it’s time for Ejet and a permanent car here to take the strain. However realising the import tax might be a showstopper, we’ll look out for a Portuguese car....I’m presuming a U.K. resident owning and running a Portuguese car in Portugal is OK??? Has anyone an experience of this eg local insurance costs?
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diddion
Hi.

Have a look at my experiences of Importing a car to Portugal

It isn't quite as daunting as it might appear!
I would like to bring A LHD 1993 Porsche 964 originally registered in Germany but now in the UK. I do not yet own the vehicle so I would not meet the 6 month ownership criteria having just obtained my residency and in the process of buying a permanent residence. Does this mean I would have to pay the fully import tax and if so is there a table/matrix I can use to estimate the possible cost. If I were staying in the UK I would be looking to buy a similar RHD model but as they are pretty rare then buying one already in Portugal does not seem to be an option.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

As a new resident to take advantage of the no import duty you need to a. have owned the U.K. car (LHD or RHD) for at least 12 months prior to matriculation application start date b. start the matriculation within 6 mths from residency. So it seems your plan for no import tax is a non starter. The emissions level for a 1993 Porsche, which is what the duty is based on, would have made it very expensive to import.

I checked for a 2000 yr car 190gm/km CO2 and the duty was about 4500e. This U.K. car was worth £1500 so it was no brainer not to proceed. A newish car would be much much lower duty if at all...but then why buy a newish LHD in the U.K. rather than Portugal??

As you are PT resident (without a car?) seems the sensible option is to buy a PT car. Unfortunately a used one costs at least double the equivalent U.K. one.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply, I'd be happy if the duty were around the 5000 euro mark but I suspect a 3.6 ltr with 300 co2 emissions might be considerably more.