Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK S1 certificate

UK S1 certificate

Old Jan 6th 2024, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK S1 certificate

As far as I can make out, a UK pensioner receiving UK state pension, and now resident in Portugal, has access to free Healthcare in the UK, in the same way as they would be if UK resident, if the following applies.
Quote From NHS website:
If you were living in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland on
or before 31 December 2020 and the UK government pays for your healthcare through S1 arrangements,
you'll be able to use NHS services in England without charge when visiting the UK.
People who have their healthcare paid for by the UK include those who get a UK State Pension or some
other UK benefits, and posted workers, who are people working abroad for UK companies or organisations.

It goes on to suggest in that case one might be asked to provide S1 proof by the UK GP or hospital.
Other than a copy of my S1 form which I gave to PT Social Security before Dec 2020, which has my name, address etc on it, (page1/2) should I have received any confirmation from the UK, regarding this matter?

Last edited by wellinever; Jan 6th 2024 at 11:49 am.
Old Jan 6th 2024, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK S1 certificate

Just sorted this out myself last month. Suddenly realised that I hadnt received any confirmation that my S1 app(Since over a year ago) had been received and actioned. So emailed them and they confirmed they had a S1 app in my name.Asked them what could I use to prove to the PT side that my health would be paid for,but they basically told me to go to the health authorities here as it had nothing to do with the UK. Not very helpful as I would hve expected some sort of documentation that they would pay.
Old Jan 6th 2024, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Just sorted this out myself last month. Suddenly realised that I hadnt received any confirmation that my S1 app(Since over a year ago) had been received and actioned. So emailed them and they confirmed they had a S1 app in my name.Asked them what could I use to prove to the PT side that my health would be paid for,but they basically told me to go to the health authorities here as it had nothing to do with the UK. Not very helpful as I would hve expected some sort of documentation that they would pay.
So in essence, you, like me, assume that the S1 form you received and submitted to PT SS was correctly returned to the UK?
I must admit to not caring who pays for any SNS treatment done in PT, what concerns me more would be any treatment needed while in the UK.
(I wonder how many PT pensioners living in UK have in fact duly filed a PT S1 form such that PT pays for their health in the UK??)

It would seem odd, given that the UK is paying for treatment done in PT, but would not also therefore be responsible for same person whilst in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2024, 6:47 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
[...](I wonder how many PT pensioners living in UK have in fact duly filed a PT S1 form such that PT pays for their health in the UK??)[...]
If there are any that should be registered under S1 (probably not all that many, given the nature of the arrangements) and in fact aren't, that would be entirely down to the UK's laxness on following it up, wouldn't it?

It would seem odd, given that the UK is paying for treatment done in PT, but would not also therefore be responsible for same person whilst in the UK.
Indeed, although I guess the pertinent point here would be what exactly should be covered as "whilst in the UK" and whether that also covers trips made specifically to be in the UK in order to qualify for said treatment.

That's not a snide remark, by the way - I'm genuinely interested in whether anything and everything goes, or whether it's a case of emergency etc treatment only, on account of something occurring whilst on a visit.
Old Jan 7th 2024, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
If there are any that should be registered under S1 (probably not all that many, given the nature of the arrangements) and in fact aren't, that would be entirely down to the UK's laxness on following it up, wouldn't it?
Yes I would agree there are probably not that many,

Indeed, although I guess the pertinent point here would be what exactly should be covered as "whilst in the UK" and whether that also covers trips made specifically to be in the UK in order to qualify for said treatment.
Well one is allowed to be in the UK, as a non resident, for a 6 month period, in which time even serious health conditions can clearly arise. So yes, being clear if the holding of an S1 form sees the holder as the same rights as if a UK resident, is important. Again this only applying to existing holders of S1. As I read it S1 forms are no longer issued in UK.

That's not a snide remark, by the way - I'm genuinely interested in whether anything and everything goes, or whether it's a case of emergency etc treatment only, on account of something occurring whilst on a visit.

Reading the rules on NHS web page, I cannot see anything that drums down on this.
Old Jan 7th 2024, 8:53 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Quick digression - on the point about how many PT citizens resident in the UK are registered via S1, the following gives estimates of the total figures on both sides, not broken down by individual member state / nationality :

A disproportionate number of UK citizens benefit from the S1 scheme. There are only around 1.2 million UK citizens living in other EU countries, compared with around three million EU citizens living in the UK. But some 190,000 of those UK citizens are pensioners, who are more likely to benefit from the S1 scheme, compared to only 5,800 EU/EEA citizens who have registered for the S1 scheme in the UK.
House of Lords - Brexit : Reciprocal Healthcare
Old Jan 7th 2024, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

"So in essence, you, like me, assume that the S1 form you received and submitted to PT SS was correctly returned to the UK?"
No .. they have definately received my application. But why not acknowledge that fact and send a form of notification.? You have to assume that that has been sent to the PT health service?
Old Jan 8th 2024, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Quick digression - on the point about how many PT citizens resident in the UK are registered via S1, the following gives estimates of the total figures on both sides, not broken down by individual member state / nationality :

House of Lords - Brexit : Reciprocal Healthcare
Is that suggesting that there are only 5800 people who are pensioners and are originally from an EU country, and they are all covered by an S1 form from their original country?
Old Jan 8th 2024, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by toots sweet
"So in essence, you, like me, assume that the S1 form you received and submitted to PT SS was correctly returned to the UK?"
No .. they have definately received my application. But why not acknowledge that fact and send a form of notification.? You have to assume that that has been sent to the PT health service?
I am not sure that I understand how this actually works?
I applied for an S1 form from Newcastle. In return I received a form with my name and address in PT on it.
I took that to the local SS office where they took photo and a copy of passport.
2 weeks later I received my PT SS numbers and SNS number.
I was under the impression that my form was returned to the UK, having been completed by the PT SS .
The circle of info would then be done.
The question is then, did SS actually return the fully completed form to the UK.
One has to assume they did.
Old Jan 8th 2024, 9:43 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that I understand how this actually works?
I applied for an S1 form from Newcastle. In return I received a form with my name and address in PT on it.
I took that to the local SS office where they took photo and a copy of passport.
2 weeks later I received my PT SS numbers and SNS number.
I was under the impression that my form was returned to the UK, having been completed by the PT SS .
The circle of info would then be done.
The question is then, did SS actually return the fully completed form to the UK.
One has to assume they did.
If they did not return it surely they would not receive the normal payment from the UK. So presumably they did what was necessary to receive payment.

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2024, 9:48 am
Polished expat

Is that suggesting that there are only 5800 people who are pensioners and are originally from an EU country, and they are all covered by an S1 form from their original country?
More or less, although it's a little more complex than that.

S1 forms aren't exclusively for pensioners and those figures are from 2017, when the UK was still in the EU. Some (most, maybe?) of those forms will have been issued to people working in the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2024, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosemary
If they did not return it surely they would not receive the normal payment from the UK. So presumably they did what was necessary to receive payment.

Rosemary
The OP was talking about health care in UK for a UK S1 holder, and the possible need to show an effective S1 form in operation in the event of a health issue whilst in the UK.
It would appear so far that there possibly is no such document, and that the only document I have for example is a duly completed S1 from the UK, which I must assume was returned to the UK in the agreed fashion to round the circle.
But yes I guess you would be correct in that if not returned to UK, then PT would not be reimbursed by the UK
Old Jan 8th 2024, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Wellinever.. email them. They will confrim whether they have received it or not. These are parts of 2 replies I received from their office.

"Thank you for your email .
You have an active registered S1 on your record for Portugal. "

"We can confirm you are registered on the Portuguese system, and they have confirmed this directly with us.There is nothing further to do regarding your S1 certificate."

Old Jan 8th 2024, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Good idea, I see their email Addy on the form