Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK GOVT CoronaVirus Regulations seem to permit visiting properties for sale etc

UK GOVT CoronaVirus Regulations seem to permit visiting properties for sale etc

Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:12 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK GOVT CoronaVirus Regulations seem to permit visiting properties for sale etc

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...0201200_en.pdf

At last the UK Govt Regulations are available to read ( as opposed to reading newspapers' gloss on same ).

The basic provision is a ban on leaving one's place of residence - however it is subject to a list of exceptions which are specified as constituting a 'Reasonable Excuse' for leaving one's place of residence.

There is a set of exceptions which I think were NOT there in spring, connected with buying and selling residential property. Thus

""
to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property— (i)visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes; (ii)viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or to rent; (iii)preparing a residential property to move in; (iv)moving house; (v)visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property;

(h).......

""
It seems quite a wide set of exemptions. There is no limitation to the residential property being located in the United Kingdom.

In principle, therefore, it seems to me that traveling from the UK to visit a property in Portugal for any of the purposes listed in Regulation 6 (g) would come within the Reasonable Excuse exceptions.

I would be interested to know if others can see any flaw in such an argument ?

Old Nov 4th 2020, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK GOVT CoronaVirus Regulations seem to permit visiting properties for sale

The only flaw I can see is actually getting a flight...my Ryanair from Bournemouth on 18th November got cancelled last night with no further flights to move to until 16th December
Old Nov 4th 2020, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK GOVT CoronaVirus Regulations seem to permit visiting properties for sale

They are saying that the lockdown will end on December 2nd, I'm taking that a s gospel and booking something to get there early December to ge residency. I'll fight them in courts if they try to stop me or fine me. BJ said it in Parliament today. It's all so cold and depressing. Oh and dark.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

In my view there is very little chance of lockdown being lifted on 2 December. Not much chance of fthe figures falling sufficiently when the greatest potential source of contagion (i.e. school corridors etc) is alive and open for business!

Unless the figures are heavily massaged, of course. And clearly that is one thing the UK government has proved adept at.

Goiing back to PT on 22 November myself (fingers firmly crossed!)
Old Nov 5th 2020, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
In my view there is very little chance of lockdown being lifted on 2 December. Not much chance of fthe figures falling sufficiently when the greatest potential source of contagion (i.e. school corridors etc) is alive and open for business!

Unless the figures are heavily massaged, of course. And clearly that is one thing the UK government has proved adept at.

Goiing back to PT on 22 November myself (fingers firmly crossed!)
Do let me know if you get arrested or fined.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would that happen? I'm acting completely legally in returning to my country of residency!
Old Nov 5th 2020, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Why would that happen? I'm acting completely legally in returning to my country of residency!
Only because we are definitely coming to Portugal early December, lockdown or not, so it will be intersting to see if people are being stopped and questioned when travelingl to the airports and ports. I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 11:07 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

According to its website ( just checked this am ) Ryanair is still operating flights this weekend from MAN to FAO , on Friday Sat and Sunday, in fact.
They have had several days to cancel or consolidate if they wanted to, but appear not to have done so.

( If BONS emailed estate agents and arranged appointments to view houses or flats for sale and or rent then as far as I can see ( I make no guarantee, it is just my interpretation ) the exception provided for at Reg 6 g would be applicable and it would be lawful to depart from her residence to carry out the viewings arranged. )
Old Nov 5th 2020, 11:15 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Again, I must stress that this is only my interpretation of the Regulations ( see link provided in my first post supra ) but as far as I can see to return to one's normal country of residence would be a 'reasonable excuse' for leaving one's UK temporary residence.

This would make such a journey perfectly lawful ( my interpretation, again, nothing official about it ).

If this were not the case then for example, visitors to the UK whose funds are about to run out ( because they planned to be here for only X days or weeks ) and who have nowhere whatever in the UK to live once their hotel stay comes to an end, and they are required to leave their hotel, would be required to live on the streets and beg, rather than take up the option ( if there are flights operating ) to return to their country of residence.

It is difficult to see that this is what the Legislature intended.