Reload this Page >

UK driving licence exchange

UK driving licence exchange

Old Nov 14th 2021, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK driving licence exchange

Just for info
The Portuguese Regulation on the Legal Qualification to Drive Article 121 Clause 8 says - 'No driver may, simultaneously, hold more than one driving license, of the community model, issued by any of the member States of the European Union or of the European Economic Area.'

I can't find any similar reference to third country licences.

The DVLA says 'If you’re living in another country, then you are not required to surrender your driving licence to DVLA when you exchange licence.' This might of course just mean that you don't personally need to send it back

Old Nov 14th 2021, 1:37 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Something recent from the House of Commons Library here :

Those who live in an EU country – or in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland – and are currently using a UK driving licence, will have to exchange it for a local one. The deadline for doing so depends on the country in which they live.

The situation is less certain for those who split their time between the EU and the UK. Drivers can only hold one licence at a time. The type of licence a person has (either UK or EU) is ultimately a choice for them, although it may depend on the number of days each year they live in each country.
Driving in the EU after Brexit (parliament.uk)

Not sure what their source was for that but despite the disclaimers, probably a sound enough one.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Something recent from the House of Commons Library here :

Driving in the EU after Brexit (parliament.uk)

Not sure what their source was for that but despite the disclaimers, probably a sound enough one.
Useful info. I particularly like Schapps quote a “historic moment for British motorists”!!

I think we all agree the first paragraph of your quote but the second is as it says 'less certain'

Old Nov 14th 2021, 1:51 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Except that it excludes the possibility of an individual legally holding UK and EU licences simultaneously, in very certain terms.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

As a matter of possible interest does anyone know if the same exchange issue applies to the Golden Visa?

I assume it does as I understand it is also a residence permit.

But given the minimum stay in the first year is only 7 days it seems a bit odd if it is.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

I submitted my application to exchange my US driving license for a Portuguese one in early May and have been expecting to receive notification of how to pay the fee. A few days ago I received an email from Gestao IMT that acknowledges my application, confirms that the documents I sent are valid, and asks me, in order to expedite the process, to submit a new application without saying why and with no mention of payment. What do I do? I worry that submitting a new application could confuse matters and possibly do the opposite of expediting things. I worry that doing nothing will stop the process. Well I guess I will email them at the address given in post #8 unless someone has a better idea.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sri Pete View Post
I submitted my application to exchange my US driving license for a Portuguese one in early May and have been expecting to receive notification of how to pay the fee. A few days ago I received an email from Gestao IMT that acknowledges my application, confirms that the documents I sent are valid, and asks me, in order to expedite the process, to submit a new application without saying why and with no mention of payment. What do I do? I worry that submitting a new application could confuse matters and possibly do the opposite of expediting things. I worry that doing nothing will stop the process. Well I guess I will email them at the address given in post #8 unless someone has a better idea.
The systems are a bit flaky (they had to put them together in a hurry) so it wouldn't surprise me if you had to resubmit, it's quite common to resubmit some or all info But you could maybe try replying to the email you received and cc'ing [email protected] just to validate

Your instinct is right that "do nothing" is definitely not a winning strategy

Stick with it, it is a hopeful sign that they emailed you, you might be close!
Old Nov 20th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Some good news!
Had an email from gov.uk saying UK driving licenses are to be recognised till the end of December 2022.
That's one thing less to be bothered about at the moment.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet View Post
Some good news!
Had an email from gov.uk saying UK driving licenses are to be recognised till the end of December 2022.
That's one thing less to be bothered about at the moment.
Don't start relaxing yet, the UK Gov are pre-empting it being voted on and approved by the PT Parliament and it may not be high on their priority list with the upcoming election.
https://www.portugal.gov.pt/pt/gc22/...PKsHu3rYW8JEUs
Old Nov 21st 2021, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris View Post
Don't start relaxing yet, the UK Gov are pre-empting it being voted on and approved by the PT Parliament and it may not be high on their priority list with the upcoming election.
Bomber,
Looked at a translation of this and this is what it says.
So despite it saying has been `approved`, when would this become law?

Of real importance to me as never heard anything from my application for exchange sent in March this year.
Just had new medical done in PT and got new Code from DVLA just ready to send off a new application.

6. The decree-law extending for a one-year period the transitional regime for the recognition and exchange of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom was approved.
This amendment will allow the recognition of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom to citizens residing in Portugal under the same terms as driving licenses issued by European Union member states until December 31, 2022.

Last edited by wellinever; Nov 21st 2021 at 6:33 am.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever View Post
Bomber,
Looked at a translation of this and this is what it says.
So despite it saying has been `approved`, when would this become law?

Of real importance to me as never heard anything from my application for exchange sent in March this year.
Just had new medical done in PT and got new Code from DVLA just ready to send off a new application.

6. The decree-law extending for a one-year period the transitional regime for the recognition and exchange of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom was approved.
This amendment will allow the recognition of driving licenses issued by the United Kingdom to citizens residing in Portugal under the same terms as driving licenses issued by European Union member states until December 31, 2022.
The PT Council of Ministers have voted and approved the extension. They will now present their proposal for the extension to the PT parliament who will vote on the proposal, if the vote is passed a new decree law will be written and published in the Diário da República. Only then will the extension come into force and as of yet it hasn't appeared.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Presume for it to be meaningful it would need to become law before current extension expires
Old Nov 21st 2021, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Exactly.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

MGFR is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar situation to the OP. The system for UK Driving Licence exchange changed after November 2020. The system is explained at: imtonline.pt for Driving Licence Exchange for countries where Portugal has a bilateral agreement for reciprocity.
The form is self-explanatory except for the Certidão de Autenticidade | Certificate of Authenticity, which is what you get from the last page of your driving Licence summary from the DVLA site. It is your UK Driving Licence Summary with a Check Code. You need to print out the last Summary page into a pdf and attach it with your application. (IMT used to ask for a different form - a Certificate of Entitlement D737 - which they do not need, or insist on, any more).
Some time after submission, follow up with a phone call to their call centre: 210 488 488. Best to have reasonable portuguese and your NIF number (through which IMT reference your file) for the call. If you dont have good portuguese, get a friend to do it for you, as it eases the transaction considerably.
In my case, it took 7 months. Best to get your application in now, as they have a massive backlog from increased applications from foreigners as well as replacements of national cards. So, few people, a lot of work, and impatient applicants.
Good to know the timeframe has been extended. You will not have to submit your DVLA card until your application is in the last stage (payment made, appointment for photo obtained, photo taken). Good luck!

Old Nov 22nd 2021, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris View Post
I thought that UK licences had to be exchanged within 90 days of becoming resident and that no test was required?

Does this change just mean that the registering of a UK licence instead is OK until end of 2022?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.