Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence exchange

UK driving licence exchange

Old Nov 12th 2021, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence exchange

Originally Posted by GrahamF
The dual tax treaty for residents of two countries, determines which country should be considered main country of residence. As well as time spent in each, another point is -

Centre of vital interests
You’re a resident of a country where your social, domestic, political and cultural links are greater. For example, you set up home in another country and keep your home in the UK where you lived, worked and where your family and possessions can, with other factors, show that your centre of vital interests remain in the UK.

P.S. Apologies for large text on this copy and paste, not shouting.
You're confusing tax residency with actual residency.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
"ignore the problem and lie to police" probably isn't the best advice to be giving people
Agreed, apparently some people aren't concerned about having their PT residency revoked by committing an offence against the Civil Code.
To all other members, if you don't want to risk your residency and a spell in jail I suggest you ignore the post by GrahamF.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Dual residence agreements" - Not sure what you mean by this, or do you mean the double taxation agreement?

Since you declared yourself resident in Portugal, the law for Portuguese residents applies to you, nothing grey there. Right now, it's not a big deal, since Portugal extended recognition of UK licenses. But in two months it will be, unless the UK reaches an equivilance agreement (apparently they are still negotiating, but don't hold your breath)

http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...d-situation-24
I think that the UK is already a signatory to one of the international traffic conventions so not sure what the equivalence would achieve?

Old Nov 12th 2021, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by appman999
I think that the UK is already a signatory to one of the international traffic conventions so not sure what the equivalence would achieve?
It's to do with the validity periods for driving in Portugal rather than the actual exchange process.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope that UK driving licence holder who are not resident in Portugal can still own and drive a Portuguese registered car when holidaying in Portugal and or Spain?🤔
Old Nov 12th 2021, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question. At what part of the exchange process do you submit your actual license? I am assumimg starting with the online process it only involves a photocopy of your license to be submitted.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1Steve
Quick question. At what part of the exchange process do you submit your actual license? I am assumimg starting with the online process it only involves a photocopy of your license to be submitted.
This is covered in previous threads (and extensively by the British Embassy on their Brits In Portugal Facebook page) but as those threads are quite long I will repeat here

Once you submit everything online (and wait and maybe chase a bit) you will receive an email from IMT asking you to pay the 30 euro fee and send your licence. Mine (anonymised) looked like the below (obviously the address may vary depending on which office is handling your exchange)Caro(a) utilizador(a),

XXXXX

O seu pedido foi registado com sucesso, com o seguinte n.º9999999999999999999.

O respectivo pagamento poderá ser efectuado na Rede Multibanco, 24 horas após esta notificação e até à data limite abaixo indicada, com os seguintes dados:
Entidade:99999

Referência:999999999

Valor:30 euros

Data Limite de Pagamento:01/01/2021

Deverá ainda, proceder ao enviodos originais dos documentos:

- Carta de Condução;

- Certificado Avaliação Psicotécnica(categoriasC, C1, CE, CE1, D, D1, DE, DE1);

- Cópia CertificadoRegisto Cidadão União Europeia

via CTT, para a seguinte morada:

IMT¿Delegação Distrital de Bragança

Trocas deCartas

Avenida Dr.Francisco Sé Carneiro, 159

5301-853Bragança

Obrigado por utilizar os nossos Serviços.
Com os melhores cumprimentos,
IMT
Old Nov 12th 2021, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Agreed, apparently some people aren't concerned about having their PT residency revoked by committing an offence against the Civil Code.
To all other members, if you don't want to risk your residency and a spell in jail I suggest you ignore the post by GrahamF.
You do it how you want, having been married to a citizen for 50+ years, I know what works for us.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

You do it how you want, having been married to a citizen for 50+ years, I know what works for us.
Just remember that the UK was a member of the EC/EU for 47 of those years, so you can't rely on your past experiences of what worked. Of course it's your choice what you do, but please do keep in touch with the legal changes, for your own safety
Old Nov 13th 2021, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

The delays in the driving license exchange were very well publicised, so you really should have applied ASAP, not waited until April, especially since you knew your license was expiring. You are very lucky that they extended the window for exchange. I say this not to "tell you off", but to emphasise that you really need to take responsibility and take control of the situation, for your own good

I suggest you apply again ASAP because unless they extend the deadline yet again, my understanding is that your UK license will soon no longer be valid in Portugal (since you became resident more than 90 days ago and it will no longer be treated as an EU license). Last I heard, they extended validity until the end of this year and this was the second extension I'd guess it may not happen again.

IMT will answer emails sent to their driving license exchange email [email protected] (I always email in Portuguese out of courtesy and because I suspect it elicits a faster response). You could explain that you applied previously, that you applied again, that your medical may be "out of date" now but that you are in the process of renewing it

You'll find people who complain a lot about IMT not being responsive and there's some truth in that, but if you are polite and persistent then you will get a response

Its easy sat just do this or do that, but I have tried more times than sensible to phone numerous numbers, had thought of driving up to Beja but cannot phone them,.phoned central IMT number again many times but no one ever answers the phone.
Yes of course when they announced an extension as far as I was concerned it was due to backlog and covid, maybe even prob with DVLA, but I was never even asked to send €30 and my licence. I submitted all necessary Docs on line to trocas.est....so at what point, knowing that there are delays, do you start to get worried? And knowing that I was going back to UK for a few months. As for knowing or remembering that my UK licence would expire in October, nothing was farther from my mind at that time.
It beggars belief to me that there is not a more simple and better solution to this whole issue in 2021 than this buggers muddle.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

And yet you applied to exchange your licence in 2020. The only possible reason for that is you know that you have a legal obligation to do so but you'd rather chance your luck by hoping you don't get caught.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
And yet you applied to exchange your licence in 2020. The only possible reason for that is you know that you have a legal obligation to do so but you'd rather chance your luck by hoping you don't get caught.
If only life was as simple for all of us as it obviously is for you Bomber, then we could all adhere, to all of the rules and regulations.
I dont think anyone here WANTS to break/ignore the rules, just for the sake of it.
And of course there is a possibility that this will change, after they sort out the fishing mess and get on to more important issues following UK departure from the EU.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
If only life was as simple for all of us as it obviously is for you Bomber, then we could all adhere, to all of the rules and regulations.
It's the same process for everyone, the process is simple albeit sometimes time consuming, people complicate things for themselves by trying to find ways to circumvent their obligations. We all make our own choices in life, but every choice we make can have consequences.
My life is simple because I do my research and choose to comply with my obligations.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

In my defence over this driving licence mullarkey, I have done what was asked over 6 months ago, to the letter of the law. The fact that my email with all of its attachments was not returned as undelivered is good enough for me to prove that I made the application, and IMT must have received it.
why then should i waste MY time chasing up a system that is clearly not fit for purpose.
However I have wasted time trying to make contact by to no avail on any occasion.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
In my defence over this driving licence mullarkey, I have done what was asked over 6 months ago, to the letter of the law. The fact that my email with all of its attachments was not returned as undelivered is good enough for me to prove that I made the application, and IMT must have received it.
why then should i waste MY time chasing up a system that is clearly not fit for purpose.
However I have wasted time trying to make contact by to no avail on any occasion.
I refer you to my previous response.
"We all make our own choices in life, but every choice we make can have consequences."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.