Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK Driving licence exchange

UK Driving licence exchange

Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Driving licence exchange

Can't remember if I've posted this before or not but the law on non EUMS driving licence exchange changed last month & Brexit situation has complicated things further but be sure you don't misunderstand the law.

Current advice from the UK Embassy is to exchange rather than register but the time thing is a bit complicated & in short, the law for non EUMSs has changed from 90 days to 2 years BUT (note the big BUT) that's 2 years from getting residency not 2 years from when Brexit is complete on 31/12/2020 so if you got residency before 31/12/2018 and don't exchange before 31/12/2020 then come 01/01/2021 thn you'll have to do the test.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving licence exchange

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Can't remember if I've posted this before or not but the law on non EUMS driving licence exchange changed last month & Brexit situation has complicated things further but be sure you don't misunderstand the law.

Current advice from the UK Embassy is to exchange rather than register but the time thing is a bit complicated & in short, the law for non EUMSs has changed from 90 days to 2 years BUT (note the big BUT) that's 2 years from getting residency not 2 years from when Brexit is complete on 31/12/2020 so if you got residency before 31/12/2018 and don't exchange before 31/12/2020 then come 01/01/2021 thn you'll have to do the test.
I don't remember having seen it before so thanks.

I've heard that the Portuguese plan to propose to the UK that after Brexit there be mutual recognition of driving licenses which means some people who are within the two year window might want to wait a bit before deciding to give up their UK license immediately.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

I've heard that the Portuguese plan to propose to the UK that after Brexit there be mutual recognition of driving licenses which means some people who are within the two year window might want to wait a bit before deciding to give up their UK license immediately.
Do you mind if I ask where you've heard this?
Only I've been keen on this subject for quite a while and havnt seen this info anywhere, thanks
Old Feb 8th 2020, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

This might be very useful for those that choose Portuguese residency but still own a car in the UK and want to insure it and drive it when they return to UK for holidays.
As it is at the moment as far as I can see if you are an EU resident, with an EU driving license getting insurance for a car that you own in the UK, registered at your own home in the UK......is not available from any insurers that I have spoken with.........so what does one do?? Yes I have seen insurers that will insure but the premiums are the same as an 18 year old....despite having held a UK driving license for over 50 years without fine/conviction, claim or accident.

I just do not understand this at all........how do Car hire companies manage to insure Non UK residents or license holders, without this massive premium??