Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence

UK driving licence

Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice
Default UK driving licence

Hi all, I know that this has been discussed endlessly in the past, but I can't find the old threads. My husband and I are now both residents here and need to change our UK driving licences to International licences at the IMTT in Faro. I am 56 and he is 60. I know we need to take our UK licences, residencia, NIF and passports to Faro, but do we also need to get a medical form signed off? I also know there is a an IMT form you have to fill in as well - can you do that once you are there or do you have to fill it out in advance?

Oh, I also know to take a good book and a picnic . . .

Any advice is much appreciated.

Saz1
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK driving licence

Yes, you need a Medical Certificate. This can be obtained from any doctor in the course of his business, and is electronically sent to the IMT prior to you visiting them, it is valid for 6 months. A Health (SNS) number is required. A Private doctor or health centre can provide, Private will be quicker but cost, probably about €15.

You can exchange your UK License for a Portuguese one, an International Driving Permit can only be issued by your current license provider. Be aware of the requirements for revalidation at age points as required by the IMT when you hold a PT License. The IMT will let the DVLA know you have exchanged.

The required forms are available on the IMT website Condutores e Veículos

To exchange your License you need a Modelo 13 IMT, I would take one filled in.

Take copies of everything, both sides of current license, NIF card or form if you have it, Passport, and Residencia. You need to show originals as well.

Good luck, and please provide feedback if you are doing it soon, this is all from my research as yet untested!
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Many thanks Leland - I will keep you updated as to our progress.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Lelandy, I missed the y off your name. :-)
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the procedure I followed last year and it worked fine.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Saz1, if you haven't already exchanged your licences yet I would thoroughly reccomend going to Beja to do it. We followed some Facebook advice and went today, arrived at 0930 and were out by 1040. No IMT 13 form needed either. Drove back down via Alcoutim and enjoyed the scenery as a bonus.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Lelandy - I think a road trip will be on the agenda very soon.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Karmal123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi why do you need to change your UK license for a PT one.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Karmal, the thing is you might not. If you are a UK citizen you must register your licence with the IMT after 60 days from arrival, you can then keep it until it expires.

Unless Brexit....Then who really knows?

But the facts(ish) are that if the UK leaves the EU, your licence is no longer an EU one and will probably need to be exchanged for a PT one to continue driving here. Probably within 90 days of Brexit, hopeully under the same arrangement as other non EU countries like the USA and Canada, whom the EU has an agreement with for like for like driving test standards.

However if there is a No Deal Brexit, then the UK may fall under the rules for countries with no such agreement, like Mexico, where exchange of licence is not possible. Then the only way to get a PT licence is by examination.

The current UK.GOV advice is for British citizens resident within the EU to exchange their licence before March 29th to avoid the POSSIBILTY of requiring a test to get a PT licence. Chances are that even in that scenario some slack may be given to UK drivers, but again who knows???

The IMT are currently swamped by all of this, yay Brexit.

Hope that helps?
Old Mar 4th 2019, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lelandy
Hi Karmal, the thing is you might not. If you are a UK citizen you must register your licence with the IMT after 60 days from arrival, you can then keep it until it expires.

Unless Brexit....Then who really knows?

But the facts(ish) are that if the UK leaves the EU, your licence is no longer an EU one and will probably need to be exchanged for a PT one to continue driving here. Probably within 90 days of Brexit, hopeully under the same arrangement as other non EU countries like the USA and Canada, whom the EU has an agreement with for like for like driving test standards.

However if there is a No Deal Brexit, then the UK may fall under the rules for countries with no such agreement, like Mexico, where exchange of licence is not possible. Then the only way to get a PT licence is by examination.

The current UK.GOV advice is for British citizens resident within the EU to exchange their licence before March 29th to avoid the POSSIBILTY of requiring a test to get a PT licence. Chances are that even in that scenario some slack may be given to UK drivers, but again who knows???

The IMT are currently swamped by all of this, yay Brexit.

Hope that helps?

Seems a very fair assessment of the current state of affairs, it's a gamble for everyone at the moment because nobody is 100% sure of what happens next!
Old Mar 4th 2019, 6:36 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Without wishing to be picky, I don't think it's completely accurate.

Under a Brexit with a withdrawal agreement, all EU licences would be mutually recognised until at least the end of the transition period and would be the subject of negotiations about the future relationship during that time.

As far as a "no deal" Brexit happening on 29th March is concerned, what happens after is to a certain extent up to individual governments but the PT government has already approved legislation which, amongst other things, will allow UK licences to be recognised here, provided (as is the government's clear understanding that it would) that the UK does the same. There is, purely as a safeguard, a suspension clause in the legislation to cater for the possibility that the UK refuses to reciprocate.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the excellent advice Lelandy. We drove to Beja this morning, arrived just after 10 and all three of us were out by 12 noon. As you said, no IMT form needed to be filled out and they took photocopies of relevant documents. NB. You need to press button T when getting a ticket.

Saz1
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Without wishing to be picky, I don't think it's completely accurate.

Under a Brexit with a withdrawal agreement, all EU licences would be mutually recognised until at least the end of the transition period and would be the subject of negotiations about the future relationship during that time.

As far as a "no deal" Brexit happening on 29th March is concerned, what happens after is to a certain extent up to individual governments but the PT government has already approved legislation which, amongst other things, will allow UK licences to be recognised here, provided (as is the government's clear understanding that it would) that the UK does the same. There is, purely as a safeguard, a suspension clause in the legislation to cater for the possibility that the UK refuses to reciprocate.
This is the information I’ve heard, in several places, lncluding on YouTube and radio from the relevant minister himself.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

I think I peppered my post with enough 'if, buts, and maybes', but the current advice is to exchange before Brexit. You pays your money you takes your chance...

From GOV.UK : https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/dr...ou-move-abroad

Exchanging your licence after Brexit

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, you will not be able to exchange your driving licence without taking another driving test.

Apply to exchange your driving licence as soon as you can to make sure you get one before 29 March 2019.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 12:34 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've seen that page. It's most unhelpful and I can't imagine what whoever it was who's responsible was thinking when they authorised such a definite blanket statement.

The PT authorities have been telegraphing their intentions for some long time now and have been clear, concise and explicit on the matter of driving licence recognition. They have followed that up with the preparation of contingency legislation to cater for the event of a no deal Brexit. That has been reported on here and is available to read online.

I should imagine the last thing the PT authorities want is a huge surge in the numbers of completely unnecessary applications for exchanging of drivers' licences at a time when (judging by reports of the lengthening of processing times) they already have a considerable backlog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.