British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   UK Covid Recovery Certificate Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/uk-covid-recovery-certificate-question-942362/)

barlaventoexpert Jan 15th 2022 8:35 am

UK Covid Recovery Certificate Question

Morning All,

I have a interesting problem and wonder if any one on this forum knows off a similiar situation and how it was resolved.

My wife and I have been permanently resident here in Portugal for years.

We are registered in Portugal with the SNS.

We are both triple-vaccinated.

2 weeks ago my wife flew to England for family reasons. She had a lateral-flow test here prior to departure that showed negative.

However. her 2-day PCR test in the UK came up positive!

She has almost completed her quarantine period and now needs to get a Covid Recovery Certificate in England to come home.

NHS test & trace say that as she is no longer registered with the NHS system in the UK they cannot issue a recovery certificate.

I have searched the UK web high & low.

I can only find a few online UK clinics that say they can help in issuing a recovery certificate BUT several say they need her to install an app which is outside her comfort level. Also they cannot guarantee the certificate will be accepted by all airlines.

She is currently in the Salisbury, Wilts area BUT she might as well be in the Sahara as no clinics there can advise her.

Any comments, recommendations or advice on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

RichardHenshall Jan 15th 2022 9:48 am

Re: UK Covid Recovery Certificate Question

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert (Post 13088198)
... now needs to get a Covid Recovery Certificate in England to come home. ...

Does she? Could she not just get a negative antigen fit-to-fly test? While she may test positive by PCR for a while, the lateral flow tests usually only test positive for a short time.

barlaventoexpert Jan 15th 2022 9:52 am

She's still testing positive today 10 days afterwards!

I suspect the viral load & the booster shot have combined to give a high reading!

RichardHenshall Jan 15th 2022 9:55 am

So much for that idea, then!

RichardHenshall Jan 15th 2022 10:00 am

Might it be possible for you to attempt to have the evidence of the positive PCR test added to her Portuguese medical record, from where it might eventually appear in her EU Digital COVID Certificate?

Rambling archer Jan 15th 2022 10:22 am

The thing is, if she is still testing positive, then airlines may not accept her for travel. She needs to "recover" as in not be testing positive, to travel. Ask at a UK vaccination centre for advice about the possible interaction of the Booster jab and positivity in the test which may, or may not, be affecting the test (antigen or PCR?) When is she due to travel back? I haven't heard of a requirement to have a Certificate of Recovery to be able to fly except in the case of non-vaccinated folk. Check with the airline - negative test first, fully vaccinated with EU Digital Cert, no problem?

barlaventoexpert Jan 15th 2022 10:22 am

That's our plan but we need to get her back to see our Medica da Familia, I suspect.

Going to check that out on Monday!

Tks.

barlaventoexpert Jan 15th 2022 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 13088217)
The thing is, if she is still testing positive, then airlines may not accept her for travel. She needs to "recover" as in not be testing positive, to travel. Ask at a UK vaccination centre for advice about the possible interaction of the Booster jab and positivity in the test which may, or may not, be affecting the test (antigen or PCR?) When is she due to travel back? I haven't heard of a requirement to have a Certificate of Recovery to be able to fly except in the case of non-vaccinated folk. Check with the airline - negative test first, fully vaccinated with EU Digital Cert, no problem?

Thanks for that!!

However, the following link states:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en

An EU Digital COVID Certificate is a digital proof that a person has either

been vaccinated against COVID-19

or

received a negative test result

or

recovered from COVID-19

In following page it states that:

"- A valid recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions:Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Switzerland, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, The Vatican (https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en)"

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

I have wrote to TAP yesterday BUT till now, I have not received a reply.

Pilotabroad Feb 1st 2022 11:19 pm

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd tag onto this one....

"if" you test positive for covid here in Portugal what is the procedure to follow?
I've looked in the usual places but can't find and info.

I presume book a pcr test at Dr or a clinic next, but then what? Do you notify a government agency? Are you asked about having flown travelled recently? Notifying others?

I'm not yet but a visiting family member just tested positive on arrival in UK so I'm trying to anticipate actions if I do so in the next few days

Thanks

BillBullock Feb 2nd 2022 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad (Post 13092082)
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd tag onto this one....

"if" you test positive for covid here in Portugal what is the procedure to follow?
I've looked in the usual places but can't find and info.

I presume book a pcr test at Dr or a clinic next, but then what? Do you notify a government agency? Are you asked about having flown travelled recently? Notifying others?

I'm not yet but a visiting family member just tested positive on arrival in UK so I'm trying to anticipate actions if I do so in the next few days

Thanks

Have a look at the Safe Communities Portugal site.

Pilotabroad Feb 2nd 2022 9:04 am

Originally Posted by BillBullock (Post 13092116)
Have a look at the Safe Communities Portugal site.

Thanks Bill
I did see that but all I could find was to call SNS to give symptoms and for them to advise.

It was a tired brain typing that late last night so I should of stated "after calling SNS what are the questions and next steps?"

No symptoms yet and still clear on lateral flows but I'm curious of people's experiences of what actually happens.... "Forewarned is forearmed" (is that the correct saying? ;))

BillBullock Feb 2nd 2022 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad (Post 13092121)
Thanks Bill
I did see that but all I could find was to call SNS to give symptoms and for them to advise.

It was a tired brain typing that late last night so I should of stated "after calling SNS what are the questions and next steps?"

No symptoms yet and still clear on lateral flows but I'm curious of people's experiences of what actually happens.... "Forewarned is forearmed" (is that the correct saying? ;))

If you self-tested and got a positive result, you should call the SNS. A friend of mine had great difficulty getting through to the SNS but when he did, he was instructed to report to his nearest Covid test centre for a PCR test. The test centre then issues further instructions and the action you take depends on the result of this official test. With a positive result, my friend had to isolate for 7 days at home.

Pilotabroad Feb 2nd 2022 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by BillBullock (Post 13092207)
If you self-tested and got a positive result, you should call the SNS. A friend of mine had great difficulty getting through to the SNS but when he did, he was instructed to report to his nearest Covid test centre for a PCR test. The test centre then issues further instructions and the action you take depends on the result of this official test. With a positive result, my friend had to isolate for 7 days at home.

Thanks again Bill, still neg for now but appreciate the info just incase

Rambling archer Feb 2nd 2022 5:43 pm

There is a notice on our Centro do Saude door as to what to do if you test positive for Covid - phone number to ring and action to take (and basically whatever you do, don't just turn up at the health centre or hospital emergency as you could infect others!!!). Ask a neighbour or someone to go to a pharmacy for a self-test which can be got over the counter - I believe the kit also tells you what to do if you do test positive! If you are to go for a PCR test then it has to be done by appointment so that the tester can be done up in PPR protection gear etc etc. - normally also available to be done at a pharmacy in town.

Pilotabroad Feb 2nd 2022 6:46 pm

Great info Rambling, thank you
Still keeping fingers crossed