British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Which UK bank account is best to keep open? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/uk-bank-account-best-keep-open-928858/)

Helen248 Oct 27th 2019 11:21 am

Which UK bank account is best to keep open?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best UK bank non paying monthly bank account to keep open once moved to Portugal. Portuguese bank account opened but I wish to keep at least 1 UK bank account account open for when I return home to visit children and family. I currently have accounts with 3 high street banks. I have heard that some banks do not let you keep one open with a Portuguese address. Any suggestions?

Novocastrian Oct 27th 2019 11:30 am

Re: Which UK bank account is best to keep open?

Originally Posted by Helen248 (Post 12754639)
Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best UK bank non paying monthly bank account to keep open once moved to Portugal. Portuguese bank account opened but I wish to keep at least 1 UK bank account account open for when I return home to visit children and family. I currently have accounts with 3 high street banks. I have heard that some banks do not let you keep one open with a Portuguese address. Any suggestions?

If one of your UK accounts is with HSBC, that one. HSBC have no issues with overseas account-holders. We have HSBC accounts in UK, France and Canada all linked to our UK address.

Helen248 Oct 27th 2019 11:35 am

Thanks very much. I have accounts with First Direct, TSB & Santander. I think First Diect may be linked to HSBC so that might be the best. I suppose I need to phone them all up and ask.

Novocastrian Oct 27th 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Helen248 (Post 12754654)
Thanks very much. I have accounts with First Direct, TSB & Santander. I think First Diect may be linked to HSBC so that might be the best. I suppose I need to phone them all up and ask.

I've not had dealings with First Direct, but I too believe that they are an HSBC affiliate. Best of luck.

dingg Oct 27th 2019 11:57 am

Use one of your children's address, and select paperless accounts so no docs ever get posted is what I've done.

scrubbedexpat142 Oct 27th 2019 12:05 pm

We kept ours with the Halifax, openly, without any problems.

Helen248 Oct 27th 2019 12:13 pm

I can't use children's addresses as son may be moving to \USA for work and daughter is 17 and will be moving in with her dad (my ex husband) before going off to uni next Oct. I could use my dads address but I really want to do everything right and above board. I am assuming that there must be one bank who allows this. I have messaged both Santander & First Direct.

Loafing Along Oct 27th 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Helen248 (Post 12754684)
I can't use children's addresses as son may be moving to \USA for work and daughter is 17 and will be moving in with her dad (my ex husband) before going off to uni next Oct. I could use my dads address but I really want to do everything right and above board. I am assuming that there must be one bank who allows this. I have messaged both Santander & First Direct.

Had no problems with NatWest - been abroad for over 20 years.. Now with current security system they send verification code to Portuguese mobile without any problem. Have usual Debit / Credit cards also posted here with no issues.

Lelandy Oct 27th 2019 1:08 pm

RBS also happy for us to keep our account when we moved over permanently, they send replacement cards etc without bother.

Helen248 Oct 27th 2019 2:40 pm

Great, thanks everyone.

AliceCaroline Oct 27th 2019 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by dingg (Post 12754671)
Use one of your children's address, and select paperless accounts so no docs ever get posted is what I've done.

I don't see why you felt that you needed to do this. From what I hear most UK banks are happy for you to move abroad and keep your account open.

My husband is with Nationwide & I'm with TSB, both banks have our Portuguese addresses and phone numbers, no problems.

We are both paperless but my new Cashpoint card arrived here in the post.

dingg Oct 27th 2019 10:00 pm

Hi ac

It just seemed easier to do and works for me 😊

GeniB Oct 28th 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12754648)
If one of your UK accounts is with HSBC, that one. HSBC have no issues with overseas account-holders. We have HSBC accounts in UK, France and Canada all linked to our UK address.

Agree;) Thats the one we chose after much research .It also happened to have a branch in the area we visit each summer!!